RIP Chris Cornell

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by jpervin, May 18, 2017.

1. Simto

Simto Member

Don't get me wrong, I love all three albums, I just think all albums could have maybe been trimmed down a wee bit or combined into one Hyper Mega Destroy The Galaxy with Rock album you know?

2. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

I have posted this one before, but it bears repeating.....

Last edited: May 24, 2017
  3. Simto

Simto Member

Awesome song! I came here to post another Audioslave song but a different vibe hehe

Seriously, how ****ing powerful is this song??? If you don't want to get up and go nuts while hearing this you've lost the plot hehe
    The whole build up to the riff is just insane. Perfect tension/release. Tom's "Soul Power" guitar is sick too. I remember seeing it on mtv before going to school one morning and I was just like "Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit!!!!!" lol

pickaguitar and The Captain like this.
  4. The Captain

Yeah, it was really cool how they used the elevator to that high stage in the clip to emphasise and give a visual to that build-up, with a symbolic joining of the RATM guys to Chris who was waiting for them to come on up.
    That was an explosive intro to the new band, really clever.
    Surely, Audioslave is the best "super-group" of all time.

Listen to the groove in this sucker..........I see your Cochise and raise you this.......

and here is a naked acoustic version, amazing he can sing these songs stripped so far back. Looks like @sinasl1 next to him. Would love Pete to chime in with his recollection of this performance.

We can do this all day, man, trading great songs, we won't run out for ages.

5. Lost_Cause

Lost_Cause Member

Something about this song... I always loved it. I must say that his voice in this video is pretty spot on. I know, 1992.

Route67 and spakuloid like this.
  6. Yer Blues

Yer Blues Member

Man... this has got me bummed. Lost a good friend and band mate two months back. I didn't know Cornell, but he was part of that group of rock musicians that was on MTV when I was in middle school. I'm just bummed... so many of those musicians are no longer around. And Cornell was still making awesome music in his 50s.

I remember one of my buddies was first to get a disc man and he had the Outshined single. I must have been in late elementary school because I he ended up going to a different school during middle school. I didn't have any understanding of music, guitar playing, or anything.... but I'd go to his house, put on headphones and just listen to it on repeat over and over.

A few years later, I remember the Audioslave demos of the first record being one of the first things I downloaded from Napster and listening to them a ton during that time period.... luckily Lars never came after me.

Like I said... I'm just bummed. :(

7. ChicagoJoe

ChicagoJoe Member

Yeah, I agree with you about him being approachable. There is a significant portion of music listeners that crave, at least some of the time, something that is real. I, for one, would rather hear lyrics that give voice to who I am or what I experience, rather than music that glorifies something I don't have, like wild sums of money, or a lifestyle that is affluent and everything is happy.

I understand some people who just want to be uplifted and hear happy music, nothing dark. That's what they feel they want in music. That's okay. But a lot of us seek out the arts (like music, either as a musician or as a consumer) as a mode of expression or therapy... and we don't want to cover up the negatives. We don't want to pretend that darkness doesn't exist! It does, and his music obviously meant a lot to a lot of people. And I would guess that a lot of us didn't realize how much he meant to us, and that makes losing him that much more jarring.

chrisjw5, The Captain and Route67 like this.
  8. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

His music isn't new to me by any means but lately I've been listening a lot closer to the lyrics.
    Yes hindsight is 20/20 but to me some of the songs are just so clear imo....always have been

Some of the lines are unmistakable and while most everyone sums it up to artistry - I think he laid it out very clearly many times over.
    Maybe he wanted help and no one could get to him? Maybe he got tired of writing it out so much and no one got it?

example:
    When I'm Down

"[chorus]
    And I only love you when I'm down.
    And I'm only near you when I'm gone.
    But one thing for you to keep in mind, you know,
    that I'm down, all the time,
    all the time...

[bridge]
    I know you're reaching out,
    and you need to feel my hand,
    you wanna be loved,
    yeah, well I understand.
    I know you hold,
    precious little hope for me,
    and in your happiness,
    I'm always drowning in my grief."

Route67 likes this.
  9. Simto

Simto Member

One of my all time favourite songs. I think it's the best he ever wrote. Very sad song, more so now :(
    Don't want to know how many times I've listened to it.

Check this performance out. It's amazing. I was a bit sad he didn't play it at the acoustic show I saw last years because he had a piano player there, but I thought I'd get to see him again :(
    Amazing performance

The Captain likes this.
  10. sinasl1

sinasl1 Supporting Member

I forgot about this, this was one of the 1st radio things we went and did in 2007. It's in Las Vegas I think. He decided to do this one last minute and just went for it, I didn't know it. I think we played BHS too maybe.. maybe "Cant Change Me", I just can't remember exactly. I used to love doing these radio things with him, because it was always so rewarding to play stripped down versions of his songs, and because the car rides to and from these would be filled with stories, jokes, just good times. I remember one in particular where the radio station had a booth we were in, and it was super small and dead sounding, and really early in the AM.. and it was so cool to hear him sing in that setting, just right there beside him, it was live on air but felt like just us jamming in this little room. We did "Like A Stone" and I'm not sure what else.

What a f&%*ed up week this has been. Sleep is elusive and dreaming sucks, I just want some time to pass and now I'm gonna go work on some music, which seems to help.

Tony, bsacamano, rnm14 and 13 others like this.
  11. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

Behind the scenes...were there ever any discussions in the studio, etc regarding the content of Chris' lyrics? Did people joke or inquire about them to him?
    Did he ever elaborate on any of them to you?

I LOVE the guy...but at some point I would have probably been curious about the seemingly recurring dark/death theme in quite a few of them

12. ripoffriffs

ripoffriffs Supporting Member

Dark & death themes are not always symptoms of some sort of mental disease. Otherwise there would be a hundred times more suicides of rock/pop performers. Prime example: Black Sabbath, they've outlived many rockers younger than they are. And just listen to their material.

13. sinasl1

To be honest, I asked about a couple things, over the years, and he always kind of deflected and gave a non-answer.

14. Oscar Isaksson

Oscar Isaksson Member

Still having problems to take this in... I was never a big fan of either Soundgarden or Audioslave, but Chris solo work has been a big part of my youth and adulthood. He will be missed here in Sweden too. RIP.

david(j) and Route67 like this.
  15. spakuloid

spakuloid Member

Yes, now that I am listening to the stuff again it is completely nihilistic and overtly dark. I always thought that was what made his songs a cut above - but now I am rethinking this - and this is where the anguish for me lies. I mean - this was the guy who had it ALL - and did not ever have to pander to the industry to sell songs. And his bands were the epitome of what one strove for in rock. Unique, well thought out, heavy, catchy, intense, sometimes Beatlesque, basically the pinnacle of hard rock in the 1990's. And all along he was some sort of hidden tortured manic depressive yet a sex symbol and rock God at the same time. It really is beyond all to think about, yet somehow makes perfect sense. I mean all we have left from that era is Pearl Jam and maybe Billy Corgan.

16. The Captain

Thanks for taking the time talk about that. Seeing you sitting there next to him really drove home to me how personal this has been for you, compared to the relative disconnect that we have as fans, not friends.
    I envy the direct experience you had of him singing.
    I feel your grief, as I've been there when I lost my son. As much as it hurts, it's also normal and healthy to grieve deeply for those we treasure. Music always helps. 100 watts might not be enough for you today.

Tony, Nebakanezer and NortheastHick like this.
  17. sinasl1

That is such a awesome song. In late 2009 he asked me to figure out a guitar arrangement of it, because he'd never done it on guitar, and make a video lesson of how to play it. I did it in a hotel room in Toronto- also "disappearing one". I have those video lessons on my old laptop. Maybe I'll put em up someday. I'm not sure if he ever actually used them or tried the songs live on acoustic or not. Gorgeous songs and challenging to play (unless you're a jazzer with jazz chops in which case you could have probably figured out a better way to do em than me). That album is such a masterpiece.

18. sinasl1

I cannot imagine losing a child- the worst most painful thing to endure I can imagine. So sorry to hear you went through that (and continue to go through it) and my heart goes out to you.

Tony likes this.
  19. Simto

Simto Member

"Disappearing one" is awesome, so melodic. It's one of the songs I've been hearing on repeat lately too

20. Bazaboy33

Bazaboy33 Supporting Member

We've still got Mark Lanegan too. I was rocking out to Badmotorfinger last night on my commute. "Slave & Bulldozers" is just relentless. Awesome. And oddly enough, I listened to "Gish" on my way in today.

Multicellular and Lost_Cause like this.