RIP Chris Cornell

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by jpervin, May 18, 2017.

1. spakuloid

spakuloid Member

IF you watch the footage from the night of his last show it looks and sounds very much like he was ****d up. I've seen SG several times throughout the years and even caught solo show around '05 or so - and I never recall him being so behind the beat and slurry. Watch the footage. That is a person on drugs or a person imitating someone on drugs. Very sad. I was a huge fan. I AM a huge fan. But this is all just very sad and another once in a lifetime talent taken by drugs.

Glass Onion, rspencer and randall g like this.
  2. rickcard71

rickcard71 Member

I feel the exact same way.

I agree, drugs took his life.

3. Route67

Route67 Member

I've watched the opener, Ugly Truth, several times from that last show and think it's stunning, raw, miles away from any antiseptically produced studio recording. The remainder of the concert seems to go downhill from there, but even the end of Jesus Christ Pose leaves no doubt he gave the audience the best he could. As his brother said, he gave it his all every time, and it could be said he died with his boots on, at work to pay his family's bills. Maybe someone could provide a link to that last concert here to this thread. Thanks

4. dirtyfunkg

dirtyfunkg Member

So were Outshined and Pretty Noose. Wiki their albums. Track listings are "All tracks written by Chris Cornell, except where noted." Most of their music from Badmotorfinger onwards was written by him. Surprisingly, Kim Thayil's contributions waned continuously.

Last edited: May 28, 2017
  5. Heinz57Pep

Heinz57Pep Member

I also don't believe for one second that this drug wasn't involved in his decision. But happy, healthy people generally don't need a prescription for benzos. Addiction and depression can come back with a vengeance, and in an instant.

6. fishleehooker

fishleehooker Supporting Member

You guys can all do the best to live your lives and I hope you do, but I think Chris did the best he could for the longest he could. Show him some respect please.

Tony, Glass Onion, Baracus and 12 others like this.
  7. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

Damn ninja onion cutters.
    That was a beautiful thing to read.

8. ReddRanger

ReddRanger Supporting Member

All these years, I never really paid attention to this until you pointed it out. Basically, he wrote all the SG hits.

9. MoPho

MoPho Pho Shizzle

That first song hit me hard. Beautiful.

10. Jason Calieri

Jason Calieri Silver Supporting Member

Route67 likes this.
  11. JOATMOS

JOATMOS Member

I'm humbled.

fishleehooker likes this.
  12. Lost_Cause

Lost_Cause Member

Wow. Listening to the end.. He hits those notes...I think I have an ancient copy of this show but was is bad quality. This is a perfect video. I remember I read the review for this in Circus magazine (was a metalhead) and bought it on the spot. I had it for a very long time before it got any radio play. It is so sad considering he has had so many friends die especially Andrew. Sad for his family. Sad for his friends.

watson503 and Route67 like this.
  13. chrisjw5

chrisjw5 Member

I tried to get tickets to the Temple of the Dog reunion shows in Philly, and both shows sold out in 4-5 minutes.

I DID track down a pretty good audio copy of the show, and it's great. But this... is is perfect. A Cornell/McCready tour de force.

THAT is a great band.

Route67 and Lution like this.
  14. dirtyfunkg

dirtyfunkg Member

Toxicology report is out.

http://www.stereogum.com/1944629/chris-cornell-toxicology-report-finds-prescription-drugs/news/

Another report says that he had caffeine in his system from taking No-Doz pills.

It sounds like the barbiturates could have been the big factor here--it could explain the slurred speech and fatigue. Combining that with benzos, pseudoephedrine, and caffeine would have been a pretty serious mixture to **** with his brain.

This saddens me even more. The idea of someone committing suicide without really having a chance to make a lucid decision is sad. He must have been incredibly disoriented and scared.

soulohio and Route67 like this.
  15. DrSax

DrSax Member

F drugs

sammich and DC1 like this.
  16. 55hz

55hz Member

Butalbital by itself can make you slurry and off of your game. With Lorazepam? You'd have a hard time walking. Caffeine also points to probably Fiorinal, a headache medication.

17. JS-29

JS-29 Member

So sad. He obviously relapsed and it really seems that he wasn't thinking clearly due to the combination of drugs in his system. It is a strange combination of uppers and downers.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
  18. soulohio

soulohio Member

"The drugs found in Cornell's system were "butalbital, lorazepam, pseudoephedrine and its metabolite norpseudoephedrine, caffeine, and naloxone." The caffeine came from No-Doz tablets the singer ingested prior to his death, while the pseudoephedrine was employed as a decongestant."

that gawdammed
    psuedoephedrine
    that drug in just the wrong excess
    causes racing thoughts
    suicidal impulses
    especially when mixed with other drugs
    i feel that had more cause than anything

vchizzle likes this.
  19. vchizzle

vchizzle Member

Four lorazepam is a lot. Mixed with other stuff, who knows what the affects were and where it put him mentally. Pseudoephedrine opens up your sinuses and also causes a racing feeling/high. One of the few things that makes me be able to breathe when my allergies are in full force during the summer. Also is used to make meth, which is why it became a drug you could only purchase in limited amounts and need to give them your drivers license. I remember 20 years ago you could buy bottles of that crap marketed as stay awake pills before they made the laws as they are now. I'd imagine mixing those two things could cause one to feel weird and be out of sorts. Sounds like the emt's shot him up with the narcan or whatever to try to counter and revive him.

All in all, I do believe that the meds put him in an abnormal place mentally that lead to his death. I know the ME seems to disagree but whatever.

Creighton likes this.
  20. Falco

Falco Member

F*** that guy could sing.

Uncle Bob and The Captain like this.