RIP Chris Cornell

spakuloid

IF you watch the footage from the night of his last show it looks and sounds very much like he was ****d up. I've seen SG several times throughout the years and even caught solo show around '05 or so - and I never recall him being so behind the beat and slurry. Watch the footage. That is a person on drugs or a person imitating someone on drugs. Very sad. I was a huge fan. I AM a huge fan. But this is all just very sad and another once in a lifetime talent taken by drugs.

rickcard71

Still bumming on this one. Been on a Cornell kick since it went down. Guy has been on my music radar since I started paying attention to music in high school. Soundgarden, TotD, Alice and STP were the backbone of my musical up bringing...now they're all gone (or sort of anyway). Never was much of a PJ or Nirvana guy, but out of those bands, one original singer remains. that's nuts.

I feel the exact same way.

IF you watch the footage from the night of his last show it looks and sounds very much like he was ****d up. I've seen SG several times throughout the years and even caught solo show around '05 or so - and I never recall him being so behind the beat and slurry. Watch the footage. That is a person on drugs or a person imitating someone on drugs. Very sad. I was a huge fan. I AM a huge fan. But this is all just very sad and another once in a lifetime talent taken by drugs.

I agree, drugs took his life.

Route67

I've watched the opener, Ugly Truth, several times from that last show and think it's stunning, raw, miles away from any antiseptically produced studio recording. The remainder of the concert seems to go downhill from there, but even the end of Jesus Christ Pose leaves no doubt he gave the audience the best he could. As his brother said, he gave it his all every time, and it could be said he died with his boots on, at work to pay his family's bills. Maybe someone could provide a link to that last concert here to this thread. Thanks

dirtyfunkg

Really, I think I may have heard this. But who created Outshines riff and Spoonman and Pretty Noose?
Spoonman was Cornell. I was surprised to found out he wrote that recurring guitar theme on Singles too.

So were Outshined and Pretty Noose. Wiki their albums. Track listings are "All tracks written by Chris Cornell, except where noted." Most of their music from Badmotorfinger onwards was written by him. Surprisingly, Kim Thayil's contributions waned continuously.

Last edited:

Heinz57Pep

Yeah, I don't believe for one second that this drug wasn't involved in his decision when she says the last conversation right before this happened was "I took an extra Ativan or two" and he was slurring his words and saying he was tired. Those articles are from over ten years ago and all accounts of his current life say he was happy and healthy and looking forward. It does matter.

Peace.
I also don't believe for one second that this drug wasn't involved in his decision. But happy, healthy people generally don't need a prescription for benzos. Addiction and depression can come back with a vengeance, and in an instant.

ReddRanger

So were Outshined and Pretty Noose. Wiki their albums. Track listings are "All tracks written by Chris Cornell, except where noted." Most of their music from Badmotorfinger onwards was written by him. Surprisingly, Kim Thayil's contributions waned continuously.
All these years, I never really paid attention to this until you pointed it out. Basically, he wrote all the SG hits.

MoPho

Formerly tripp2k
Been listening to his solo stuff all day. if all you ever heard was his output from Soundgarden, Temple oD, and Audioslave you owe it to yourself to listen to his solo output which is of the highest caliber - both musically, vocally and lyrically. So incredible the gift he had. Tragic.

That first song hit me hard. Beautiful.

Lost_Cause

Just awesome, one of my favorites from Chris:

Wow. Listening to the end.. He hits those notes...I think I have an ancient copy of this show but was is bad quality. This is a perfect video. I remember I read the review for this in Circus magazine (was a metalhead) and bought it on the spot. I had it for a very long time before it got any radio play. It is so sad considering he has had so many friends die especially Andrew. Sad for his family. Sad for his friends.

chrisjw5

I tried to get tickets to the Temple of the Dog reunion shows in Philly, and both shows sold out in 4-5 minutes.

I DID track down a pretty good audio copy of the show, and it's great. But this... is is perfect. A Cornell/McCready tour de force.

THAT is a great band.

dirtyfunkg

Toxicology report is out.

http://www.stereogum.com/1944629/chris-cornell-toxicology-report-finds-prescription-drugs/news/

TMZ
has now obtained that report, and according to the site, the report reveals that Cornell had Naloxone (Narcan), Butalbital, Lorazepam (Ativan), Pseudoephedrine (decongestant), and barbituates in his system at the time of death. Per the report, Cornell had taken four (1 mg) Lorazepam tablets. TMZ writes that the toxicology report confirms there were four needle puncture wounds in Cornell’s arm, but it appears they came from EMTs administering Narcan, a drug that counteracts opioid overdose. Cornell’s wife Vicky said that she had been talking to her husband on the phone half an hour before he died, and that he claimed to have taken “an extra Ativan or two.”

Another report says that he had caffeine in his system from taking No-Doz pills.

It sounds like the barbiturates could have been the big factor here--it could explain the slurred speech and fatigue. Combining that with benzos, pseudoephedrine, and caffeine would have been a pretty serious mixture to **** with his brain.

This saddens me even more. The idea of someone committing suicide without really having a chance to make a lucid decision is sad. He must have been incredibly disoriented and scared.

55hz

Butalbital by itself can make you slurry and off of your game. With Lorazepam? You'd have a hard time walking. Caffeine also points to probably Fiorinal, a headache medication.

JS-29

So sad. He obviously relapsed and it really seems that he wasn't thinking clearly due to the combination of drugs in his system. It is a strange combination of uppers and downers.

Last edited:

soulohio

"The drugs found in Cornell's system were "butalbital, lorazepam, pseudoephedrine and its metabolite norpseudoephedrine, caffeine, and naloxone." The caffeine came from No-Doz tablets the singer ingested prior to his death, while the pseudoephedrine was employed as a decongestant."

that gawdammed
psuedoephedrine
that drug in just the wrong excess
causes racing thoughts
suicidal impulses
especially when mixed with other drugs
i feel that had more cause than anything

vchizzle

Four lorazepam is a lot. Mixed with other stuff, who knows what the affects were and where it put him mentally. Pseudoephedrine opens up your sinuses and also causes a racing feeling/high. One of the few things that makes me be able to breathe when my allergies are in full force during the summer. Also is used to make meth, which is why it became a drug you could only purchase in limited amounts and need to give them your drivers license. I remember 20 years ago you could buy bottles of that crap marketed as stay awake pills before they made the laws as they are now. I'd imagine mixing those two things could cause one to feel weird and be out of sorts. Sounds like the emt's shot him up with the narcan or whatever to try to counter and revive him.

All in all, I do believe that the meds put him in an abnormal place mentally that lead to his death. I know the ME seems to disagree but whatever.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom