RIP Daniel Johnston

johnnyb128

He was special, I always liked what i'd heard of his, the songwriting and lyrics are very compelling, especially in the context of his ailments...but it wasn't until hearing other, more talented (or more standard) musicians covering his songs that I started to hear beauty in them...and then, revisiting the originals, the beauty that was always there that I was too dumb to hear.

RIP DJ.

ChrisVereb

The movie "The Devil and Daniel Johnston" is also a great way to learn the man's myth and music. Doesn't look like it's streaming anywhere for free, but you can rent it from YouTube or Google Play the just a few bucks.

Think I might go drink a mountain dew down at half priced books after work tonight and remember DJ.

theryanking

Supporting Member
The movie "The Devil and Daniel Johnston" is also a great way to learn the man's myth and music. Doesn't look like it's streaming anywhere for free, but you can rent it from YouTube or Google Play the just a few bucks.

Think I might go drink a mountain dew down at half priced books after work tonight and remember DJ.
I think it's on IMDB TV free with ads.

RIP.

neville5000

Supporting Member
I played "True Love Will Find You In the End" for Mrs. neville5000 at our wedding reception.

Is and Always Was has some real gems.

RIP Daniel Johnston