RIP, Jim Mouradian

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by RickC, Jan 15, 2017.

1. RickC

RickC Gold Supporting Member

If you played guitar in the Boston area sometime over the last several decades, chances are you crossed paths with Jim Mouradian. Probably the most well known and beloved guitar tech in the area, and the list of people who used and praised his work is like a who's who of Northeast musicians. And if that weren't enough, he's been holding down the bass chair with Ronnie Earl for many years; a fine, fine player. And if that weren't enough, he was one of the nicest, most beautiful people you could ever meet. The outpouring of love for Jim on social media is breathtaking.

Don't know the details, but he passed last night after gigging with Ronnie. Here's a clip from his final performance. RIP good friend

/rick

2. JefeMaximo

JefeMaximo Huge Member

Agreed. A wonderful, talented guy. Apparently, he had a massive heart attack after the gig in Old Saybrook.

Jim and Jon
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  3. garryg99

garryg99 Member

Very sad news. I recognized him as the designer/builder of the iconic "CS" green bass used by Chris Squire on Owner of a Lonely Heart.

Agitator, fretless and Jimi1983 like this.
  4. Jimi1983

Jimi1983 Supporting Member

Rest In Peace Brother - a great musician in a great band, and apparently a wonderful man as well. RE & Broadcasters are among the all time greats.

beanbass likes this.
  5. chopsley

chopsley Silver Supporting Member

RIP. He worked on my guitars and amp a couple times.

beanbass likes this.
  6. hube

hube Member

This is a real shame. I'd heard about him for years but only met him recently when I took a guitar in. We talked for a bit and he just seemed like a nice, genuine guy who loved his work. When I went to pick it up I had one of my sons with me - the more rambunctious of the two - and we talked about how he reminded Jim of his son at that age, obviously proud of his own son's work and accomplishments. He will be missed, I'm sure.

beanbass likes this.
  7. Cuthbert

Cuthbert Member

A great guy, he worked on many of my guitars, RIP Jim

beanbass likes this.
  8. mkr1

mkr1 Member

Since the early 80's I could always count on Jim to solve any guitar problem I had, but beyond that, as the decades went on, every time I saw him in his shop and either chatted with him or observed him interacting with other customers, I developed an increasing appreciation for his kindness and wisdom. Jim exuded the state of having figured out the secret to life.

RickC and beanbass like this.
  9. jkg

jkg Supporting Member

Wow, sorry to hear this. The guy was a guitar tech legend in the greater Boston area.

beanbass likes this.
  10. RobC

RobC Member

I always appreciated a reason to go visit Jim at his shop. He made himself very available, having his bench right out in the retail area of the store. He was always happy to talk about gear, playing, performing. He would give patient and sincere answers to my ignorant questions. A prince of man.

When his shop was over Cambridge Music I brought a guitar, 60's Guild Slim Jim, to him. It had a cracked neck at the headstock that had been inexpertly repaired and subsequently failed. I had shopped it around to a number of places and no one would touch it and then a good friend suggested I try Jim. I brought it up to his cramped space on the the third floor; met Jon, too. I told him the story: it was my grandfather's guitar, supposedly first broken by me at age 2. It was the guitar I on which I first learned to play at age 12. He told me he couldn't make it pretty, but I could at least play it again. Sure enough, about three weeks later he had it back in playing condition. It meant (and continues to mean) a lot to me to have that guitar playable again.

beanbass likes this.
  11. dzeitlin

dzeitlin Member

a huge loss. he was genuine, and had a really big heart. gonna miss him.

beanbass likes this.
  12. Agitator

Agitator Member

Yeah, this. I just posted over at TDPRI that even though this guy was building/repairing guitars for the likes of Aerosmith, when I walked in (ca 1989) as an ignorant newbie with a Fender Lead II, I got just as much respect, patience and advice as anyone else. He will truly be missed.

Thanks to @JefeMaximo for posting that great pic of him and Jon.

13. The Funk

The Funk Member

An amazing luthier. Brought back to live many guitars that were thought to be gonners. Best setups ever and he was always cool if you wanted to hang out and ask questions.

14. lpnv59

lpnv59 Member

He always said "I'm the luckiest guy in the world". A sweetheart and a very old friend to me. I miss him as do so many others. RIP

BUK likes this.
  15. radicool

radicool Member

I never met the man, but I can't tell you how many people tried to send me to him when I mentioned any kind of guitar issues. "Oh, you should go see Jim Mouradian, he'll hook you up." Somehow I never did make it to his shop, even though I was sometimes right downstairs in Cambridge Music. RIP.

16. cffluntouch

cffluntouch Gold Supporting Member

He worked on several of my guitars over the years. He was so friendly and just loved to chat. He magically made every guitar he worked on better, too. Very sad day.