RIP JIM SEALS

Soundhog

Seems like every week there is another memorial on TGP,losing musicians that affect our lives is always sad.

Bluedano1

I loved these guys!

Takes me right back to my fist years in HS
- I know it's 'old fart nostalgia' talking here, but I loved EVERY song on the radio!( For years, say 1963- 1979*)

" Diamond Girl" " Summer Breeze"
were up at the top

RIP Jim Seals

* except " McArthur Park"
Even at 8 years old I'm thinking " What is THIS song doing on my radio!"

chrisr777

I was just looking at the ad for my first concert five minutes ago. They were there. It wasn't their most popular, but I listened to the Unborn Child album a lot back then.

e783166a9117d80a107be47bfb139fea.jpg

musicman1

RIP Jim. Summer Breeze was and still is the summer song track for me in the 70s when it came out. It takes me back to that place and head space as soon as I hear the opening E minor to A minor7 changes. Great singer too. Get Closer and Diamond Girl are great tunes also.

Last edited:

Trevordog

Sad to Hear. RIP Jim was a multi-instrumentalist, and was known as a serious sax player and violinist, which made his transition to electric mandolin pretty natural, using distortion and wah to get an unearthly sound.
Their early stuff was produced by the great studio guitar player Louie Shelton, who also played guitar on those albums
They got into the Bahai Faith, which informed some of their lyrics, and did jazz gigs at The Lighthouse on Hermosa Beach, even when they were putting out their hits. Crofts was a jazz drummer.
Musicians were still part of the equation, and this was my fave song by them:

buddyboy

Platinum Supporting Member
A big part of my youth. Born in '64, so S&C had so many great singles on the NY airwaves in the mid-70's, when I was jus coming up. RIP Jim Seals.

Last edited:

John Quinn

Gold Supporting Member
Seals and Croft were cool - I didn't listen to much beyond the hits - but I would never turn them off - it was a smooth sound.

See Ya Around Jim!

aussie_owner

Gold Supporting Member
Saw Seals and Crofts on the "Takin' It Easy" tour in '78 for $2.00 at the Concord Pavilion. Great show. Will be playing the Summer Breeze album tonight. :(
I saw them around ‘74 or ‘75, Blossom Music Center. Really great show, and I recall them rocking out harder than you would expect from the radio stuff. I also had “Diamond Girl” on quad 8-track, as well as vinyl.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom