RIP Kelly Joe Phelps

Neer

Silver Supporting Member
Gutted over this. He was one of my favorites for a long time. I can’t tell you how vital his influence was to me.
This is from Steve Dawson, adminstrator of KJP’s fan page.
17AF3260-ABBF-4726-96AF-92DE01DF6005.jpeg

JPF

Oh no. Shine Eyed Mr. Zen was my gateway into KJP’s brilliant writing, musicianship and production chops (incredible recording engineering as well). This one really hurts. RIP, Kelly Joe - and thanks for the inspiration.

nmontz

I saw him years ago open for bb king. One of the first live shows I saw as a kid. Then I caught him a few times at the m shop when I was in college. I was always amazed by his talent and often listened to his music. I had no idea he was living in Iowa…

rodeodee

Listening right now, just heard the news. Truly sad news. Amazing player, artist and singer. How tragic. Thankfully there's a good catalogue of recording and video to help remember him. Hope I hear him again someday...

Paul Conway

I was lucky enough to see him twice, including the 'Shine Eyed' era. He was a real communicator, and one of a very small handful of voice-and-guitar acts I'd go and see, because his talent would out. As dynamite as his slide playing was, it wasn't a pose, wasn't grandstanding.

RIP. Truly a sad day.

redchapterjubilee

Silver Supporting Member
25 years ago I had Kelly Joe on a program I produced for a public radio affiliate in Oregon. The host was not a music guy and I was super impressed with how well KJP could break down what he did in a way that someone who didn't understand the nuts and bolts could appreciate. Whenever I hear someone play "See That My Grave Is Kept Clean" I think about that radio session and what a marvelous guest he was. Salud, sir.

Serious Poo

Finding beauty in the dissonance
Platinum Supporting Member
RIP, Kelly will be missed by many. My friend opened up for him a few years ago and it was a really wonderful show.

adolan

Silver Supporting Member
RIP Kelly Joe Phelps..

I got into him around Shine Eyed Mr Zen, He was a real talent for sure.

Neer

Silver Supporting Member
This guy was a massive talent who really deserved wider recognition. It seems like he gave everything he had in his music. But the greatness of it, and deep layers of talent as a musician, vocalist and poet, required nothing less. Going to listen to my old tape of SEMZ, a true masterpiece.

lucky111

Silver Supporting Member
I grew up in Portland, OR & have so many cherished memories of watching & listening to Kelly Joe: at the summer Zoo concert series with Keb Mo, the Waterfront Park Blues Festival, Kelly's Olympian, & the most special - with my daughter on my shoulders at an in store performance at Music Millennium. Such a sweet soul & evidence of God's love that He would give us the gift of music that came from Kelly Joe's hands & voice.

Peace brother - see you on the other side!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom