• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

RIP-Louie Bellson

todd richman

One of the great jazz/big band drummers died on Saturday. Along with Krupa, he was a superb showman and talent. He was 84 years old. He was also married to Pearl Bailey, the great jazz singer who died on 1990.

Trandy

Silver Supporting Member
This is terrible news.

What a superb drummer and human being.

See you on the other side Sir.

mprvise

Man, sorry to hear that. When I was in college he came to town and rehearsed and did a clinic with the jazz band. Then that night we played a show with him. He would have been in his early 60's then and hadn't lost a thing. Very cool down to earth guy, and a great player.

RIP Louie!

DonW

Velocity Town Angel
Double Platinum Member
Louie was born in a small town 12 miles from me. For several years he came back on his birthday up until last year for a celebration in his honor. He played and held a clinic at the local high school and lots of young drummers came to see him. He offered advice and personally showed the kids some technique they needed to learn. Great guy that gave back in a major way. A musician's musician. RIP LB.

DC1

I met him. Ellington convention, 1991. He was about to play for the evening big band set during dinner. I was waiting by the door for a break to take my seat, and he stood next to me, and we chatted a bit. I wished him well, and he played a smokin' set.

Right after, I went up and shook his hand and he gave me his drumsticks. They are in a glass box on the wall out in the studio to this day.

Sweet guy, monster player. I miss him already.

Take care Louie...

dc

cadduc

i was able to see him play twice

i feel that we are blessed to have guys of his stature around for so long

i am sure that he and pearl are now together again and enjoying one more cocktail

thank you for everything louie and rest in peace,

Scott Miller

I saw him a few years ago at a concert he gave at the church he goes to here in town. Kind of a jazz sprirituals thing, big band, big choir, great drumming, wonderfully fluid and powerful.

chrisr777

I was trained by his brother Hank. I had the honor of meeting him and getting tips from him on many occassions. He was a real gentleman and a kind soul. For many years he played a free concert a Warner Center park, a local place with a stage that holds an annual summer series. One of my most jaw-dropping musical moments was watching a duel between him and Buddy Rich. Incredible.

RIP

Dana Olsen

Platinum Supporting Member
RIP Louis Bellson -

Hats off to a real gentleman of music and of music education. As is easy to tell from other folk's testimonials here, Louis always had time for fans and students. I saw him several times at Cal State Northridge, at "Great Drummer's Nights" - with Billy Cobham once, with Ed Shaughnessy once, also with the incredible Tom Minor.

Great musician, great teacher and educator, and a great influence on both music and on drummers. We'll all miss him.

Thanks, Dana O.

guitarist58

I had the pleasure of meeting him a couple of times too, and seeing him live several times. What a talent--such a nice guy, too!

Rest in Peace Mr. Bellson. You blessed us all.

Trending Topics