RIP Nokie Edwards (The Ventures)

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by chillybilly, Mar 12, 2018.

1. chillybilly

chillybilly Member

Ventures' guitarist (and their original bassist) Nokie Edwards has passed away according to his friend (screenshot posted here rather than link to Facebook which some can't or choose not to use).

To say that the Ventures influenced countless players is to state the obvious but they seemed to go beyond mere influence and into the realm of inspiration as countless players picked up a guitar for the first time thanks to their enthusiasm for the Ventures. Their material consisted exclusively of instrumentals (and many, even most, of those were covers) but their tracks were almost always compelling on their on merit. Their arrangements were clever but usually not too complex (songs and albums where they had 'help' notwithstanding) and many a novice guitarist wore out his fingers and his record needle playing Ventures songs repeatedly to figure out the licks.

'Walk Don't Run' will forever be their signature tune but Bob Bogle, the guitarist on WDR and the Ventures' early albums, soon swapped placed with bassist Nokie Edwards, who felt (not without some justification) that his talents were being underutilized. Edwards was the lead player during the band's prime years when 'The World's #1 Instrumental Combo' had a series of hit albums, a Mosrite guitar endorsement and signature model and enjoyed worldwide fame, especially in Japan, thanks to the lack of a language barrier in their music.

Nokie Edwards developed and deployed a distinctive array of licks that went far beyond the surf idiom even as lazy critics then and now attempted to lump the Ventures in with Dick Dale et al. As time progressed Edwards incorporated more Nashville-style fingerpicking and corresponding country-ish leads. He left the Ventures in the late 60s (replaced by Gerry McGee) to pursue an interest in racehorses but still did sideman/solo gigs, particularly in Japan where his popularity endured. Many post-punk acts (B52s, Go-Go's, et al) cited the Ventures' influence and the band enjoyed a second, if lesser, peak of popularity around 1980 as Edwards rejoined the band and they re-recorded their greatest hits. Along with classic lineup drummer Mel Taylor (and later his son Leon after Mel's death), the Ventures toured for many years after with a somewhat flexible frontline of Bogle & rhythm guitarist (and co-founder) Don Wilson with either Edwards or McGee in the lead slot. For part of each gig McGee or Edwards would handle bass duties while Bogle played lead on 'Walk Don't Run,' 'Perfidia' and other early material.

He was a singular talent and an important figure in the history of the electric guitar.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  2. sanrico

sanrico Member

Loss of an innovator... RIP

bullet6759, burns and A-Bone like this.
  3. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

Damn. A legend there.

Tonekat and burns like this.
  4. Drew816

Drew816 Supporting Member

Bummer, R.I.P. Nokie!

5. tiktok

tiktok Supporting Member

Has this been confirmed? I'm seeing nothing verified.

6. Elantric

Elantric Silver Supporting Member

He was my 1st guitar god
    I met Nokie several times

[​IMG]
    i took his picture for the RMC pickup home page
    http://www.rmcpickup.com/

kushman, Cactus Bob, Laurence and 3 others like this.
  7. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Supporting Member

50 years later, I still remember hearing The Ventures' "Walk Don't Run" blasting through the boardwalk speakers on Balboa Island. I *had* to learn that song. I think Nokie played bass on that one. A true great has left the building. RIP.

burns and Elantric like this.
  8. Bob Maximus

Bob Maximus Silver Supporting Member

RIP...post Ventures he put out some recordings that high-lite his fingerstyle skills. For those recordings, I would put him into a class above. He was a true fingerpicking genius.

Elantric likes this.
  9. aiq

aiq Supporting Member

Like a good bit of music I learned to appreciate it at a later date.

RIP, Nokie.

10. bullet6759

bullet6759 Silver Supporting Member

Lov
    Nice avatar. Love my GALAXIE.

Elantric likes this.
  11. Bob Maximus

Bob Maximus Silver Supporting Member

12. cadduc

cadduc Member

Thank you for all you gave us Mr. Edwards, thank you and rest in peace.

rreiser, chillybilly and burns like this.
  13. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

Nokie and The Ventures' music was probably my biggest influence as far as learning how to get around the guitar and learning the entire neck.

I've stood on a "learn melodies" soapbox here at TGP for a long time and I still believe that learning melodies is something that's missing in today's younger crowd. They spend their time learning solos, lick and riffs.

But the Venures' albums were full of pop songs, many considered "lame" by many here, but by learning those melodies, especially when The Ventures modulated to different keys was a key to my seeing the neck as one thing.

"Venturized" versions of these songs were fabulous learning tools in those days. Octaves, key changes, whammy dives and the occasional harmonic minor scale.

With a young Tommy Emmanuel

14. Tahitijack

Tahitijack Member

He will be missed by all those that play and enjoy instrumental surf music. Maybe appropriate for today, his "Blue Dawn".

15. aliensporebomb

aliensporebomb Member

A sad day for those who play instrumental guitar. A pioneer who won't be forgotten.

chillybilly, Elantric and burns like this.
  16. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

Loved Nokies playing, it just flowed.

RIP

chillybilly likes this.
  17. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Gold Supporting Member

chillybilly likes this.
  18. Bluedano1

Bluedano1 Member

Thanks for posting!

Got to see Nokie and The Ventures twice; the second time at The Birchmere ( Alexandria, VA) about 10 years ago, nice and close (about 15 feet from the stage) and they were so professional and they rocked the place.
    RIP Nokie- thanks for a lifetime of great guitar!

Edit- Nokie's playing on the House of The Rising Sun clip, sounds a little Danny Gatton/Jerry Reed like- a little hot-rodded but tasty

Flyin' Brian likes this.
  19. stevemc

stevemc Member

WDR was in heavy rotation on the old am radio when i first began listening.RIP sir.

20. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Man, I cut my teeth on Ventures music way back when droppin' the needle...and, "Hawaii 5-0" still occasionally kicks my butt when I don't play it for a while! Nokie was right up there as one of my favorite players & teachers ;).

chillybilly likes this.