RIP Riff City, We barely got to know ya!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by smithguitars, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Steve_Blaine

Steve_Blaine Member

I think you are spot on, plus they boosted the price which doesn’t help any. I suspect they will hang around for awhile but it is really hard to compete with established brands unless you can make the value argument. I think they made a major error when they tried to move upscale and raised their prices. Just my opinion.

Produktsumme likes this.
  2. Steve_Blaine

Steve_Blaine Member

Never been to Minnesota so I have no reference, but I wonder why they picked those locations. Cheap rent is the only thing that quickly comes to mind, but maybe someone else has a better idea. Still, location, location, location is the most important thing whenever you are a store.

T Dizz likes this.
  3. Kid Casseroli

Kid Casseroli Member

...so the store closed because they ran out of cookies?

4. 2Plus2isChicken

2Plus2isChicken Member

I doubt Chapman Guitars has anything to do with Riff City closing. A business failure usually has a lot to do with the way the business is run or by just not getting any customers, which could be the case. There was little incentive to shop at Riff City over other stores.

As for Chapman Guitars, they may or may not be good guitars, but not only do they fail to stand out among countless guitar brands, some of their design choices are unappealing. Does the average person want a reverse headstock or a fretboard that has no dot inlays except a big 8 on the 12th fret? I doubt it. Resale value is another issue.

Vhailor, Sencha and Kid Casseroli like this.
  5. Produktsumme

Produktsumme Member

I don't think it is hard to compete with the established brands wrt quality, as when it comes to the value or mid-price field they order from the same factories in Asia anyway (which is not a bad thing, I love my Washburns that were made by Matsumoku) . But for a smaller brand like Chapman, I don't think the volume that is needed to drive business is there, simply because many beginners want major brands. So they go major brand even if the guitar they eventually buy comes from the same factory. Bad for smaller brands.

Steve_Blaine likes this.
  6. AXXA

AXXA Supporting Member

I bought a pedal from them over the weekend at full price. First time buying form them. I guess the last time too