Ripper doing Desert Plains at rehearsal

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Nazgul666, Mar 20, 2015.

1. Nazgul666

Nazgul666 Member

2. sgmarshall

sgmarshall Member

One of my favorite Priest songs!

3. Electric I

Electric I Member

^^
    Same here.

Thanks for posting.

4. skhan007

skhan007 Supporting Member

Excellent! I met Ripper and Priest on the tour before this one- Jugulator; at the 930 club in DC. It sounds like they were tuning down a full-step, but stellar nonetheless.

5. gdomeier

gdomeier Supporting Member

That was great. Ripper has some killer pipes. I love him singing Abigail by King Diamond. Powerful!

6. MrX

MrX Member

7. navin johnson

navin johnson Member

man! that ain't no joke. very impressive! i like playing stuff from that album, especially the next song, black horsemen. there's not too many who can sing like that is there? cool stuff:dude

8. Lost_Cause

Lost_Cause Member

It is crazy how much he sounds like Halford on that one. Maybe too close at times.

I always liked Jugulator.

9. Jimmy B

Jimmy B Member

Great version of Desert Plains! Ripper killed it on both tracks.

Honorable mention to Jeff Waters and James Murphy for playing their guts out on Abigail. Man, Waters is a monster.

10. ungarn

ungarn Member

Saw Ripper with Dio Disciples tour...he and Oni Logan absolutely killed it...trading off vocals and doing complete songs.

11. daa2202

daa2202 Silver Supporting Member

Very well done version of Desert Plains - Ripper nails it. The tempo has been rushed in most of the live versions I've heard.

I'm always amazed at how light a touch Glenn Tipton has on the guitar...and he plays super-light strings, too - .007s, according to Jol Dantzig (formerly of Hamer, who was in a position to know.)

12. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

WOW for both tracks!!!

13. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

I was fortunate to see Ripper Owens sing with Judas Priest and Yngwie Malmsteen, as well as meeting him in person. Talented singer and a nice, down to earth person to chat with.

Guitar George

14. zekmoe

zekmoe Member

They should tour with him as Rob is spent vocally as well as physically. I saw a recent vid and it was just sad. If Ripper can still hit those notes, I'm in.

15. AdmiralB

AdmiralB Silver Supporting Member

IIRC, according to an '82-ish Guitar Player interview, Downing used a 0.007, but Tipton used 0.009 - for both E and B.

16. Pat Healy

Pat Healy Member

Ripper does not get enough credit for reviving Priest from the trash heap in the mid-90's. I saw them twice during the Ripper years and the sense of increasing momentum was tangible. They played little clubs on the Jugulator tour and graduated to 2,000 seat venues on the Demolition tour. Ripper really set the stage for Halford's return.

Discussion of the Ripper era typically turns to criticism over the detuned songs, which is silly. His vocal range is a bit lower than Halford's was in the 70's and 80's. Big f**king deal. The songs sounded great, Ripper was a more-than-capable frontman, and most importantly, we got to hear Priest! I'll take detuned Priest over the alternative any day. In fact I wish they would detune the songs for Rob now, because he clearly doesn't have the range anymore.

:agree