Ripping mp3 from vhs

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by gambolputty, Sep 13, 2008.

1. gambolputty

gambolputty Member

I have the 10,000 Maniacs unplugged vhs that has three songs performed by Natalie Merchant and David Byrne. I have been unable to find these songs anywhere and I would like to rip these to mp3 (for my own personal use)

What gear and programs do I need to accomplish this task. I am running a Windows XP Home Edition PC with the usual slew of MS software. If possible I would like to avoid spending any significant amount of $$$$

2. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

The cheapest/dirtiest way to accomplish this is to use Windows Sound Recorder (Start>Accessories>Entertainment>Sound Recorder). Your sound card will have a microphone input right next to the speaker output(s). It requires a 1/8" stereo plug. To record from your VCR, you'll need an adapter cable that goes from both audio outputs of your VCR (RCA connectors) to a 1/8" stereo plug. Sound Recorder has a few different options for sound quality, but it's not exactly Pro Tools.

The next step up would be to buy a 2 channel audio interface. These usually have 1/4" inputs so you would need two RCA to 1/4" cables to record in stereo.

If you have plans to do other audio recording or transfers, then buying some equipment makes sense. If this is a rare occurrence, the I suggest finding some kid that just got a new Pro Tools rig and offer him beer money to do the transfer for you (they're on Craigslist). It's much more cost effective and the results will be better. Just a hint: for the best results, do the transfer as a .WAV file (uncompressed) and then convert it to mp3 after the fact.