Rivera buffs out there: what is "focus"?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by haslar, May 3, 2005.

1. haslar

haslar Member

I 've owned a Rivera M60 for over a year, and am still wondering what exactly the "focus" knob does.

The manual mentions "speaker damping"... what exactly is speaker damping?

Thanks !
    :)

2. pureoldsound

pureoldsound Member

I thought this was used to make the bottom end tight or loose.

3. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

4. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

It's supposed to clean up (i.e. remove distortion) from some frequencies. It does this by compensating for resonances.

It will depend on speaker cab you are using whether you hear much difference. Also I think it doesn't do much at low volumes so you hear more when you crank it. Also if you tune down you will probably get more difference.

I haven't found it to be essential - my favorite Rivera doesn't have it.

5. Gauge613

Gauge613 Member

from my reading of i think it was Rick Johnson? - he's a heavy hitter on the Rivera forum, the focus adjusts the tightness of the bass (and 10 is the most focused and this is the setting for rivera amps without the focus control)
    from my playing a quiana yesterday, that seems right
    but i dont' actually own a rivera so this is as much help as i can be

6. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

What they said.

It controls the speaker "looseness" or "tightness" and I found it to impact the lower end of the sonic frequency picture most.

I used it on my Rake to dial in the amp for the given room. It was a very important feature on that amp for me. I owned a at least one Rake (I had three over the years) from 1996 to 2004.

7. csanford

csanford Supporting Member

The focus control reduces low-frequency feedback in the output stage. This is also sometimes called a 'resonance' control. Reduced LF NFB gives the amp a looser feel, because the amp has less control of the movement of the speaker cone (damping).

Chris

8. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

It's pretty much what it can do. If speaker damping has a different "raison d'etre" then the designer is hoping for things that do not happen.

If for example, you want to believe that the designer is actually controlling the speaker to move more synchronously, etc., which might be inferred from what people originally decided speaker damping was supposed to do, then guess what. It's not happening unless you know the speaker is pretty unreal - such as having frequency dependent impedance and no voice coil resistance.

What simple speaker damping controls can do in practice is control one resonance or anti-resonance in the coupling between the amp and cab, and to an extent limited by the voice coil resistance. If you attenuate a little in the neighborhood of DC, then you will, at high volumes, get rid of some of the low end distortion that can make the sound flubby. Lots of speaker cabs have impedance features in the bass that would seem to be the primary target of this control.

But once the voice coil resistance is big compared to the internal impedance of the amp, then not much on the amp side of this picture matters. In those cases, then you aren't going to hear much difference with the Focus control.

9. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

That should read "frequency INdependent impedance". The whole problem is that actual speakers have frequency dependent impedance.

10. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

2005, actually. :p

11. gregc

gregc Member

Supposed to simulate a closed back (loo se)or open back (tite)sound....
    it does this by varying the 'damping factor'.
    gregc