Rivera Chubster vs Boogie Express 5:25

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ronmail65, Oct 13, 2008.

1. ronmail65

ronmail65 Supporting Member

QUESTION - Has anyone ever compared the Chubster to the Mesa Express 5:25 (with a 1x12)?

Unfortunately, there are no dealers anywhere close to me that have these amps in stock, so I can't hear them live. I'm relying on youtube demos and stuff like that.

I've been looking for a true 2 channel 1x12 combo amp that does great rock / hard rock sounds, and has separate gain and tone controls on both channels. I've considered lots of other amps and this is what I've trimmed my options down to. (However, if you can think of something that does what these amps do, sound as good or better, for the same or less $, in a 1x12 combo, that weigh as much or less than these -- bring it on).

In terms of features, I consider these amps even (different, but even for what I need). In terms of tone, I'm going for more of a JCM800 / JMP Master Volume Marshall tone (but I won't get a Marshall because they don't make a good sounding combo with fully independent channels that have this tone). I feel like the Chubster could do this better, but I don't know for sure. Of course, the Mesa has a huge price tag advantage ($1000 vs $1500 for new purchase).

Thoughts? Recommendations?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2008
  2. ronmail65

Anyone.... Anyone....

3. paaes335

paaes335 Member

I own a Chubster 40 and have tried a Mesa Express 5:25 112 at a local store.
    If you want the Marshall thing on the drive channel the Chubster will get you there. Look for a used one, I've seen them listed from $700-$800. You'll definitely want to change the speaker as the stock one is useless for live gigging.
    I really like the Mesa as well and would have got it if it had been around when I bought the Chubster.

4. Lt_Core

Lt_Core Supporting Member

I pretty much said the same thing in another thread but used the Mesa F-50 as the comparison. Chubster kills it for the Marshall tone and the cleans are a ton more warmer and versatile on the Chubster.

I'm looking at getting a Vintage 30-type speaker to replace the stock one. What speaker do you have in your Chubster?

5. ronmail65

The used Chubster I'm looking at has the original speaker. I generally lean toward Vintage 30's, so that will probably be my first choice for a replacement.

6. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Supporting Member

Having used both, and owning the Mesa, if I could go back in time and if I had the extra $$$$$$ I would get the Rivera. Despite having 4 "modes" the Express is still only 2 channel in my mind because the footswitch will only switch between 2 modes. If I am unhappy with the Express for any reasons, it would be the tone stack. I'm not used to how it works, and I'm not sure I like it, but I have been adapting to it. I also am not used to having a serial fx loop, not sure I like that, but again it is easy to work around. The Subway I had had a parallel fx loop with a level control, much better idea. You'll be glad you are looking at the 1x12 and not the 1x10 that I got before they gave any hint of releasing a 1x12. I suppose even Mesa makes a few mistakes now and then, and putting a 10 inch speaker in this (5.25 Express) amp was definitely a mistake, imo.

I walked away from the Rivera only because I did not have the extra $$$$$$$, but now wish I would have waited.

On the other hand, the Express is better (for me) than any other amp I've ever had, so I'm not really disappointed. Having a solid line up of pedals really helps. It takes pedals well, but in particular I find having a nice modded EQ pedal may be the single biggest factor in me getting the sound I want from the amp. Hard to pin it down, but if I could only keep just one pedal with this amp, it would be the EQ, probably because it helps me compensate for the tone stack I'm not used to.

7. theroan

theroan Member

It's not contest. Chubster all the way. The Express series is one of the worst to me.

8. kselbee

kselbee Member

I've owned the chubster and tried the mesa. I think the chubster is great for clean, mild break up, blues, and some rock, but without a pedal it won't do high gain. Not a lot of kick either, but that could be the speaker as others have mentioned. The mesa has more gain and kick, but I would say it's not as musical.

As another consideration, I'd HIGHLY recommend you check out a used Budda SD18. I just got one for 1000 and have seen them even cheaper around here... very portable, good clean, THE BEST gain, plenty of kick... literally the best amp I've ever played through. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

9. Lt_Core

Great description between the Mesa and Rivera. I have some pedals that push the Chubster into high gain and it works pretty well. I looked at the Budda SD18 but it's not a true 2-channel amp, right? I never had a chance to play one so maybe I'm way off base here.

10. Hoodster

Hoodster Member

You may also want to look at the Rivera Clubster, both the 25 Watt "Doce" and 45 Watt versions, which are cheaper than the Chubsters and should fit your needs quite nicely.

11. rongtr

rongtr Member

I put a Vintage 30 in my Chubster, and I'm very happy with it.

12. Lt_Core

Tighter lows and more pronounced mids? Should definitely help out during gigs. I'm picking up a WHS Veteran 30 clone. Can't wait to install it!