Rivera Jake is AWESOME! Rivera - make more!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by larryl, Jan 6, 2006.

1. larryl

larryl Member

I had a Chubster 55 112 and a Fandando 55 212. They were both high gain modern, kind of gritty amps. I sold them on evilbay.

Then I found a mint (discontinued '90's) Jake 55 112. This is an AWESOME amp!

You can dial in sweet sounds, harsh overdriven sounds, jazz, rock and blues sounds - no muddiness in the bottom, and a complete palette of tone. (Clean channel - cleanest EL34 you'll ever hear! dirty channel Marshall sounds, vintage/modern switch cuts power in half, presence, lush reverb, etc...)

I think Rivera is one of the most under-rated amp companies out there. They are not inexpensive, but Paul Rivera knows how to make a great tube amp - remember - he designed many of Fender's most popular models.

I think this is the most versitile all-round tube amp I have ever used. Thank you 'rivertoaster' for stearing me to this amp through your many posts praising this model.

Paul - Bring back the Jake! (even if in a limited run) So more people can enjoy the experience.

2. ccoker

ccoker Supporting Member

cool man

I know you bought the F55 from me.

glad you found "your voice" in the Rivera family

good stuff

you can rear mount that speaker and it will make it even warmer

3. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

I've owned my K-55 for awhile now. Have also owned the Jake and the Fandango. The Jake was definitely nice, though I didn't like the speaker (I liked the response much better when running it through my sealed extension cab).

4. larryl

larryl Member

Why would rear mounting the speaker make it warmer? How do I do it? Won't the screws extend too far through the front?

Thanks,
    Larry

5. ccoker

ccoker Supporting Member

simple
    lay the amp flat on it's back

remove the front grill, it's velcroed at the 4 corners, sometimes a litle prying with a screwdriver is needed to start it...

unscrew the 4 screws

remove the speaker

take on of the screws and run it in from the front side a few threads into the t nut and tap it with a hammer, that will knock the t nut out

repeat x3

stand the amp up

move the t nuts to the front and give them a little tap to seat them into the wood a bit

turn the amp on it's face
    mount the speaker from the rear (hmmm... )

6. riverastoasters

riverastoasters Member

I think there might actually be enough Jakes out there for everyone who loves them to have one.

What I really want Rivera to do is:

1. bring out a 210 Jake.
    2. make 100 Watt Rake Reverbs.

7. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

IMHO, the Rake/Jake Rivera's are his finest amp for MY taste. I owned the Rake (actually 3 of them over time) from 1996 - 2003. Exceptionally good amp.

8. mykljpao

mykljpao Member

+1 for the Rake Reverb. Bought and sold a Suprema (too harsh), same with an M100 too complicated and modern sounding plan to keep the Rake for a long time; warmer and more organic. Sharp looking as well and the matching 2x12 kicks sonic ass. Scott, I recall seeing a pic of yours with stacked 2x12 cabs; REALLY nice!

9. Phil M

Phil M Supporting Member

I would LOVE to have a Rake Reverb... that was the amp I intended to buy back in '99 when a local store was blowing out the Riveras. I was a couple of days too late by the time I made up my mind, but I snagged the K-55.

I really wish the reverb was footswitchable on those, too. No biggie though.

10. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

I had my Rake in the studio last night. That amp is going to get a lot more use in our sessions that I'd previously thought. :AOK

FWIW, I prefer the non-reverb version. I've owned both and IMO the reverb was just good (not great) and I think the focus control adds more than the reverb did.

Either way, the Rake/Jake is a oft-overlooked amp.

11. Kinkirsi

Kinkirsi Member

Whats the problem?, I called Rivera about 2 years ago and Paul or his son, I forget which said he would build one :AOK

12. ccoker

ccoker Supporting Member

I agree, I think the non reverb head sounded more focused...