Rivera K-Tre

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by DiezelMonster, Jul 21, 2008.

1. DiezelMonster

DiezelMonster Member

Hey guys

I was just wondering if anyone here currently owns or has owned a Rivera K-Tre either the reverb model or not.

and do you have pics of your rig?

thanks!

C

2. Rayneman

Rayneman Supporting Member

I owned a K Tre non-reverb for quite awhile, but recently traded it toward a Splawn Nitro. The Nitro is very nice, but I do miss the Tre for its unrelenting super-mega-ultra high gain tones.

Despite owning it for some time, this is about the only picture I have, and the back panel is off, hence why you can see through it! Top left....
    [​IMG]

3. DiezelMonster

DiezelMonster Member

Hey man, did you just sell this on ebay?
    if so, I bought it haha because the guy I bought it from just sold it to get a nitro as well?

haha small world!

C

4. Rayneman

No, I traded it a month or so ago for the Nitro.

5. teefus

teefus Silver Supporting Member

fwiw, the rivera k-tre has the best clean and lead channels of any channel switcher i have played. very usable and versatile.

6. Rayneman

I wouldn't really use the word versatile with the K-Tre in terms of overdrive tones. Even with the gain nearly off, the thing is a monster. I never tried a pedal in the clean channel to get "lighter" overdrive tones though.

I think the funniest thing about that amp is that is has a gain boost function for the overdrive channel.

Great amp though, awesome cleans and just scortching distortion.

I miss it.

7. CAC

CAC Member

Sorry to get off track here, but what Marshall cab is that in the right hand corner?

8. ben_allison

ben_allison Member

Better than a Mark IV, Shiva, Fuchs, CAE, Elmwood, Budda...?

I'm intrigued... I'm very interested in the Tre...

9. Rayneman

That's a 1936 with 2 GT12-75s. I like Marshall cabs, unlike alot of people. I have a Mesa 4x12 I use with my band, but it is SO heavy compared to a Marshall of the same size, same deal with the 2x12s.

10. Rayneman

I've had all of these except the Fuchs and the Budda. The K Tre is a metal amp in the truest sense. The Mark IV, Shiva, CAA and Elmwood all have the ability to get a "crunch" tone, while the Rivera is balls to the wall distortion most any way you dial it in. I don't think the cleans are as nice as the CAA OD100, but they are exremely usable, and likely better than many high gain switchers.

11. teefus

better than a guytron, better than a mark iv, at least as good if not better than the budda sdII series, better than a shiva. sorry, i don't have access to a fuchs, cae or elmwood.

12. hecticone

hecticone Member

[​IMG]

I use mine for heay blues works and sounds great.

13. hecticone

hecticone Member

I have played twins for years. This thing has better cleans than the twin with more headroom. It accepts pedals really well. The distortion side is very manageable. I run iy at 2.5 for a smoking blues lead sound. The clean channel with overdrive/distortion is extremely versatile. I had brought home several amps from a store in Madison to try out. This one was heads above everything.

14. ben_allison

ben_allison Member

You might be responsible for me getting another Rivera...

I had an M60. It was good, but only good. Good cleans, good drive, but no MAGIC. Didn't inspire... it was just... good.

Maybe the Tre has some magic going on?

15. MrJacko03

MrJacko03 Member

Different strokes for different folkes.....

I think M60 is nothing but pure magic :AOK I'm getting one soon.

16. ben_allison

ben_allison Member

True say...

And looking back, I'm wondering if what I was actually wanting to hear was not a different amp tone, but had more to do with hb's vs single coils :bkw

17. teefus

i had a bm60 custom head for the longest time. the only thing that dethroned it was a valvetech head...........and then 2 valvetech heads and then 3 valvetech heads.

18. MrJacko03

MrJacko03 Member

I don't know the Valvetech.....but it must be great :)

I have heard the M60 stock and with NOS tubes......Maaaaaan the NOS infected one was a gem ;)

19. teefus

i owned quite a few riveras over the years and the best thing you can ever do is have decent (not necessarily nos) tubes and have the bias properly set per rivera's specs. the specs used to be available on line but i think they print them in the manuals now too.

20. DiezelMonster

DiezelMonster Member

Thanks guys

My K-tre is on the way to me this tueaday!
    I've owned Rivera before but for the type of tone I like the ones I had before didn't do it, so I went elsewhere, but always loved the cleans and I LOVE a good clean tone man, I have an Uberschall now and it's great and all but seems to be lacking in the loop department, when I try to use my AXE Fx with it, it sounds lifeless, I'm hoping the Rivera won't dissapoint!

I've seen a few youtube vids and there is one in praticular where a guy uses a freakin danelectro pedal and it sounds great compared to the uber in that scenario, not sure if hes running it in the loop or in front but it sounds great regardless.

right now my Uber gives me these awful drops in volume with the loop and the amp feel like it's neutered when I'm using the loop, It doesn't breath fire like it does when the loop is bypassed.

Anyhow I'm hoping the K-tre will give me what I'm looking for, and I'll just dump the Uber.

I'm REALLY looking forward to this amp!

thanks for all the info guys and keep the pics comin!

I love how this amp looks.

oh one question, does the Master 1 control the clean channels overall volume as well?

thanks!

CS