Rivera Rock Crusher Recording

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Volk, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Rogue

Rogue Member

I believe the EQ of the Rockcrusher is only for its line out. Both the recording and standard Rockcrusher has the bass and treble compensation switches, but the EQ is only for the line out for direct recording or FRFR.

The Reload does a compensation knob for Flutcher Munson, but they extended its function so that you can use it as a way to fine tune your sound. It is also a continuous knob and not a switch. Volume control is continuous as well. N

If you're not using it for silent recording (or playing) and only using it as an attenuator, you should get the cheaper standard Rockcrusher. If you're considering doing some DAW recording silently, I'd consider the Reload (I have one and like it considerably).

2. ebenezer

ebenezer Silver Supporting Member

I completely agree!

3. j.s.tonehound

j.s.tonehound Member

^ ? They said earlier in this thread that the EQ can be used in conjunction with the attenuator, which I thought meant not line out. I'm now very confused!

Hmm... I did not know about the compensation knob. Hmm.... This isn't making my decisions any easier, but I'm glad the info is forthcoming!

4. Rogue

Rogue Member

I don't think that is the case. I know when I was looking into I read someone say that it was just for the cab simulator portion of the line out.

I could be wrong about that, but I'm pretty sure the 11 band EQ is only for the cab sim.

5. mAx___

mAx___ Member

Which would make perfect sense. The Rockcrusher already has Warm and Edge settings for the attenuation part, which are not even necessary to my ears as the attenuation is so transparent, even at whisper levels.

Edit: Do they still offer a 40-day trial period like before?

6. j.s.tonehound

j.s.tonehound Member

Hmm. I guess checking with Rivera would shed light on it.

7. Volk

Volk Member

I need to have an exact 16 ohm load and a great speaker simulation, I will use the unit only for practice and recording at home with AC30 and JTM45. This being the case, should I better go for Rivera Rock Crusher or Torpedo Reload?

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

8. Long2Play

Long2Play Member

The speaker curve EQ function on the Rivera is on the line out only. It has no effect on the speaker out while being used as an attenuator while still driving a live cab. I did not understand that you were asking about the speaker out. I was saying that you can use the speaker EQ while attenuating a live speaker and/or while using it under full load silently. I should have added on the Line Out with that explanation. There It works both ways. I'm sorry if I caused any of the confusion. There are two compensation switches on the Attenuator side to EQ compensate for volume difference on the speaker cab.

That's what I get for posting a quick response between lessons. I hope the clarification helps. Sorry again for the confusion.

9. j.s.tonehound

j.s.tonehound Member

^ Thank you for the clarity, it was my fault for not making my intended use clear! It's amazing how just one sentence can throw things off!

10. Rogue

Rogue Member

I think both options will give you decent results. I have not had a Rock Crusher, but I do like the Reload a lot.

I can't speak to the line quality of the RC, but the line out of the Reload is nice. The load of the Reload is really nice. I know the attenuator portion of the RC is popular, but I don't know about the complete load aspect. I really can't say if it's as good as the Reload's load, but I would be surprised if it was.

The RC would give you the flexibility of using the onboard cab sim, or using the uncompensated line out into your DAW and using a plug in for cab sims. You have no choice but to use a plugin with the Reload (unless you got an outboard IR loaded like the CAB).

I would say the upside to using a plugin is that you have the flexibility after recording to tweak your cabinet IR. Maybe a different speaker, mic, or even mic position. An outboard cab sim or the RC compensated line out is what you have recorded plus whatever post you do in the DAW.

In terms of attenuating the signal, the RC's first click has been said to be more than the advertised -3db, or whatever it is. The Reload requires some thought as to your amp impedance settings and cabinet impendance will determine your maximum volume capabilities. You will get most volume 16 ohm amp and 4 ohm cab.

I do like the Reload a lot. It functions quite well with direct to DAW and volume reduction. I use it with the WOS pluging and am happy with this setup. Even if the RC's line out isn't as nice as the Reload's, I'm sure you could still use that setup to get nice recorded tones.

11. Volk

Volk Member

I think I will buy the Rock Crusher Recording: what I need is a accurate 16 ohm load and I find really useful the flexibility of using the direct line out into DAW for recording or the internal speaker simulator when I wanna practice without having to connect it to a computer and without any latency.

12. Doug59

Doug59 Supporting Member

So what does one need to hook up one of these units to their computer? Do you use your computer speakers instead of the amp speaker (if you want to)?

13. Volk

Volk Member

I have an audio interface (SLP Crimson) which I like a lot: it has excellent preamps for studio monitors and headphones...and it does work also as standalone unit, without plugging it to a computer. If the speaker simulator in the Rock Crusher Recording is really good, I can plug the unit to my audio interface and I need to turn on the computer only when I want to record. The signal will be fully analog, without any conversion, on top of that I also shouldn't experience any latency.

What do you guys think about this solution?

14. Long2Play

Long2Play Member

My pleasure sir! No worries..

15. Rogue

Rogue Member

An audio interface of some sort, preferably one with a TRS line input. A XLR/TRS even better. A Focusrite 2i2 is cheap and nice.

Depending on the interface, you can here what you have connected into it without further software. So the Rockcrusher Recording would work like that.

Ultimately, you're going to want a DAW (digital audio workstation) to record ideas or create some tunes. In this case, you can run a plugin in the DAW for your cabinet simulations. Lots of DAWs. Reaper is what I use. Pretty solid and cheap.

There is probably some stand alone apps that doesn't require a DAW, but I'm not sure about those.

16. Rogue

Rogue Member

Should work great.

17. markp

markp Member

I couldnt decide rockcrusher or two note.In the boonies ,cant try before buy.
    Anyway,rockcrusher recording incoming.Friday

18. Volk

Volk Member

Thank you!

19. Doug59

Doug59 Supporting Member

Thank you for the useful information.

20. markp

markp Member

Rockcrusher recording arived today.Speaker sim is great.2 minutes had had the first awsome sound.Its a keeper.