Rivera Rock Crusher Recording

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Volk, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Franktone

Franktone Member

The Rock Crusher is rated for and input of 120 W RMS max and your 4-EL34 amp may be putting close to 180 W RMS cranked up.
    I don't know if this is the problem, but I'd look into whether that attenuator can really take the full power of your amp.

2. Ali

Ali Member

I'd accept that reason if the noise was only present at high volume and, while it worsens as the volume goes over 7, it's still always there. I also chose the Rivera as that's what Pete Thorn uses with his PT100 and without issues. I'm less bothered about its attenuation abilities than its recording ability. If it only made the noise high up the volume range I could live with it.

3. XISTH

XISTH Member

You're definitely using speaker cable not guitar cable, right??!

4. Ali

Ali Member

Yup. And both cables work fine between head and cab without the Rockcrusher in between. I've tried running the RRR as purely a load box into the XLR to rule out the cabinet or the use of two speaker cables as being the problem and connect them with all the cables I have. Still there in Logic and the direct monitor. I've air dusted and switch cleaned every inlet and outer in the chain as well. The only other cable in that chain is the guitar cable going into the amp and I've tried 5 of those and no change. It's either the unit or something related to the power. I've swapped around the main power chord and tried different sockets, power sticks etc. No change. So it's either Rivera's own power supply, which I don't have an alternative to try, or the unit. Though, looking online, it seems the provided UK power unit is a cheap £3.99 retail one you can buy off Amazon. Might go visit Maplin and see if they have a better quality 18V DC 1amp unit.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
  5. Franktone

Franktone Member

Ali, I know that this might be a ridiculous question but, did you try out a different amp with the RRR to rule out whether its the amp or not causing the problem.
    And was the problem there from the start, or did it kind of creep in after a while.

6. Ali

Ali Member

Problem was there from the start and I don't have another tube amp to try it with, just a little solid state Blackstar! But, if it won't work with the PT100, I don't want the device!

7. Franktone

Franktone Member

The RRR could be picking up induction from the changing magnetic fields from the transformers inside of the amp.
    Try and move the RRR as far away from the PT100 as possible and see if that changes the interference.

8. Ali

Ali Member

Ahead of you, I'm afraid. Had it a good 3 metres away and still persistent whistle/whine noise. I could live with it if it only happens at more extreme volumes but the second half of the audio clip was all at 1/2 volume.

Also tried the amp without the RRR at those volumes (not playing, I hasten to add, or you'd hear me no matter where you are on the planet!) and all I can hear is normal amp hiss. No whine.

9. Ali

Ali Member

Back from the local electronics outlet with a brand new surge protector and mains conditioner, in case my old one was worn out (must be 10 years old plus). There is some improvement but the whine can still be heard. Not as much as the audio clip and full volume doesn't send the level meter to the top, only about 1/2 way up now. Could I live with it? Probably, as long as it's not a faulty unit. If it is faulty, I'd rather my £500 was used on one that doesn't whine! Will wait to see what reply comes back from Rivera.

10. tone?

tone? Member

I wouldn't live with that noise man.

Get another one.

11. Ali

Ali Member

Would if there were any. Don't seem to be any left in the UK! Would seem the last batch have all sold put and no new ones expected until next month at the earliest.

12. tone?

tone? Member

So you would rather have a defective one than none at all?

13. Ali

Ali Member

I'd rather hang on to it until they get a new one sent out, I guess.

14. tone?

tone? Member

I personally wouldnt use a defective attenuator no matter what.

Might damage your amp

15. Ali

Ali Member

Going back tomorrow. The stores tech listened to the clip and said definitely faulty without even contacting Rivera. Only downer is there are no new ones for a few weeks. I guess they're popular if they keep selling out. But, at least it'll work. Thanks for everyone's input on this. It will be interesting to see if they ever find out what's wrong.

16. born_hard

born_hard Member

make sure that the Attenuator and your guitar is at least a couple feet away from each other.Same goes for the amp / guitar and attenuator and amp / attenuator.

17. JazzTaur

JazzTaur Member

Hey Ali

Did you figure it out?

I have exactly the same issue! I have this incessant whine/high pitched squeal...it goes away if i play or turn the gain/volume knobs down...Also, i even have some sort of distortion on the clean channel....Man alive! Surely it cant be the RRR! I am in South Africa! I cant just send mine back!

I am plugin it into a Marshall DSL 100H

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  18. DrainBamage

DrainBamage Member

What kinda pickups are you using? My p90s will make the rockcrusher oscillate depending how close I am to the unit, if the gain and vol are up there and in some cases the bright switch will do it. Allso some amps wont work well. I cant remember if my humbuckers do this too. The oscillation is the same as when an amp stats t oscillate especially when adding bightnes from the presence

19. JazzTaur

JazzTaur Member

Hi there

Not sure if you are addressing me or Ali, but ...I have a PRS Tremonti SE, with Seymour Duncan humbuckers. Neck has Pearly Gates and Bridge has JB (SH4)

20. JazzTaur

JazzTaur Member

Interestingly, one of my pc screens has these lines that appear when i push the gain up (which ups the whining)