Rivera Rock Crusher Recording

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Volk, Jul 21, 2014.

1. JazzTaur

JazzTaur Member

Hey guys..

I contacted Richard Pruchniki from the Sales Dept at Rivera (I had been communicating with him as i was originally going to buy a RRR directly from them)

I explained my issue regarding the noise and whether it could be faulty, this is the answer i received...

"Yes we have heard this a few times and a distributor of ours just got one back with the same issue. In every instance we and the distributor couldn't recreate the problem . The Rockcrusher doesn't generate any tone so it's either something external being amplified or in essence the Rockcrusher is a speaker so maybe you are sitting the guitar too close to it and it's feeding back? Experiment with not sitting too close.

Also, is it possible that the amp would do that at the high levels you're setting it ?....or is it possible to try it with another amp or maybe try it in a different location?

Please let me know but again we've never had one sent back that was defective unless if it was literally some piece of hardware broken (off)"

I will reply soon

Hope this helps here...

2. skhan007

skhan007 Supporting Member

I own the original version of the RockCrusher (non-recording) and it's the best attenuator I've owned, out of probably a half-dozen. I called Rivera when the RRR came out hoping/praying that the EQ would affect the speaker outs, so I could make my higher wattage celestions have more of a Greenback tuning. They said that it would not- the EQ is only for the recording/line out. I recommended/suggested they consider an option to have the attenuated amp signal pass through the EQ before going to the cab. How hard would that be? Like a toggle or something, to put that signal into the EQ and out. Hope they can make that happen someday. Then I'd buy another RockCrusher!

3. Ali

Ali Member

Hi,

Nope. Still ongoing. The store got it back from me and tried to recreate it (may be mine they referred to in the e-mail) but they don't stock 100W heads so the most they could put through it is 50W. They did send me a video but, one crucial issue they seem to miss is it doesn't do it when playing, only when there's no guitar input. Whether that's muting the guitar, turning it down or just not having it connected. Here's their video...

http://youtu.be/KxVb5cV341k

So, they sent it back and said to get my amp checked and to try different power outlets! Well, the amp is fine. I checked each preamp tube one at a time with a new JJ 12AX7 and the noise is still there. I dragged the damned thing round the house. I invested in a £50 mains conditioner. I changed the light socket in my guitar room from a dimmer to a normal socket and all the bulbs to halogen! Still that bloody noise! I made a video reply to show them what I'm talking about here. Excuse the mess, it's after I'd tried dragged it round the house and used every cable I own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcL8K-RliNQ

Now I'm no electrical expert, but that's as simple a setup as you can get and, if it makes a noise when the Rockcrusher is present, and doesn't make a noise when the Rockcrusher is not present, then the Rockcrusher is making the noise! It's not the guitar. It's not the cables (the video was a Pete Cornish cable and a Fender but I've also tried a D'Addario and an Evidence Audio Siren II). It's not how close you sit. It's not where the Rockcrusher is in relation to the amp (I've had it 3 metres away). It's the Rockcrusher that's making that noise. There's no other explanation. I thought it might be an incompatibility with the Suhr, but if you're getting it with a 100W Marshall then it can't be that either!

I've pretty much given up on it. There are no new RCRs in the UK for another month but I'm asking for a refund. Will invest it in the Suhr Reactive Load and some IRs instead as I mainly bought it for the recording ability. I trust John and company to make gear that works out the box. Never been let down by their products yet.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  4. Ali

Ali Member

I've tried it with my HSH Suhr Standard, my EVH Stripe and my son's LTD with active p'ups. A friends' JP13 and Axis have also been through the setup and no issues except when the RCR is connected. It does it through it's speaker output and it's XLR balanced out. That it also does it on bypass makes me think it's the input stage that's the issue. I even switched off every TV, radio and internet connection in the house. Nothing makes any difference.

One other thought that also occurred is that we both live in countries with 230V electricity. The power adaptor that comes with the device is a pretty cheap Chinese made one that you can pick up from Amazon for £3.99! May be nothing to do with it but just a thought. However, I've spent enough on this and won't be buying another power supply just to prove, or disprove, a point. It's sitting all packaged up and waiting for word from the dealer.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  5. Husky

Husky Gold Supporting Member

If only people in EU are having this issue it may have to do with 50Hz as compared to 60Hz. To test our gear correctly for EU we invested in a 50Hz power $upply so we could fully experience on our products what our customers overseas are hearing.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  6. Ali

Ali Member

Good to know John. Looking forward to the Reactive Load. I'm pretty sure South Africa and the UK have the same 230V/50Hz current.

7. DrainBamage

DrainBamage Member

I just tested mine out again and the oscilation happen basically when the pickups are near the unit. This time with humbuckers. Now if I move the guitar around the unit I can change the pitch of the oscilation to a very ear pearcing whine. My unit isnt as near as bad as ALis. I need to try this out with my dsl 40 again. But master and gain very loud and maybe it will be as bad as ali

8. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

Ah, this is quite common with any attenuator, you can't get too close to them.

9. SteveO

SteveO Member

The EQ is applied at line level, not speaker level. To build an EQ with components stout enough to handle speaker level signals would probably price it out of the market.

10. Ali

Ali Member

I get it with no guitar attached! The sound clip on my previous post was recorded with the guitar on zero volume. The video, above, with no input at all. It's there with zero amp volume! Strangely, it doesn't change with the level being increased. It does if you add gain on channel 2 and 3 though. But if you then play guitar, it goes away and, as soon as you mute the input, it starts to build back up again.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  11. DrainBamage

DrainBamage Member

Ya my bad Ali you unit is all jacked up man get that sent back!!

12. JazzTaur

JazzTaur Member

Ali,

I sorted mine out...It was the speaker cable, seems mine was faulty, not completely broken but faulty! I had to take all my gear, the amp head, RRR and my guitar with my cables to the music store to figure it out...

I changed out the speaker cable (that goes between the RRR and the amp) and now it is dead quite...no high pitched whining sound through my monitors or my headphones anymore...everything sounds perfect.

BTW ...The RRR is on top of the amp, and i am sitting, with my guitar, literally 3 feet from them both...

Hope you come right buddy!

MendelRocks likes this.
  13. Ali

Ali Member

I've tried every combo of 4 cables m8. Even spent £80 on a brand new Evidence Audio Siren 2 and no joy. Glad you got yours working though.

14. JazzTaur

JazzTaur Member

are you not able to take your whole setup to a music store near you? amp, RRR and your cables...try everything out there...

15. Ali

Ali Member

It was a distance sale and it has to work with this amp and where the amp lives! Using the XLR, I've had 4 different cables connecting the two and it's omni present. I just think this RCR is faulty unless anyone else can come up with an idea. Not much use if it works at a music store with other gear but doesn't work in my house with my amp.

16. Ali

Ali Member

And it's off back to the dealers who will send it off to Rivera. They're keen for me to try another one but it'll be two weeks or more to get it in stock. If that doesn't work then I have no idea! The Suhr Reactive Load and software IR, I guess. The main reason for getting the RCR, though, was to avoid software use. I tend to get too much latency using such things and the RCR seemed the ideal way to keep everything off the computer and get the gear to do the work.

17. JazzTaur

JazzTaur Member

I hear what you are saying about using software (although some people love it)...The last little while i have been messing around with the RRR and i am SO glad i got it...sounds awesome. The tone i have been hearing in my head is finally on my pc! Just dial in the EQ and i am away! So it mostly hits my pc ready to go

I chatted to an electronic engineer friend of mine (he services and retubes my tube amps)...he said, that kind of high pitched interference can also be bad earthing somewhere, a kind of ground loop feedback. Check your house. the power could be an issue. Thats actually the reason i took my whole setup elsewhere to check it out...at least if it worked somewhere else then i would have narrowed the problem down to something other than the RRR...and go from there. I know that yours was only evident when the RRR was in the loop, ie the amp n cab dont pick it up, but the RRR could be picking something up that they arent...who knows.

Interestingly, Richard Pruchnicki, sales guy from Rivera told me that they have only ever had RRR's back because a piece of hardware had literally broken off somehow, like a slider or knob, none from being electronically faulty...

Anyway, i really hope you come right Ali...you are on to a good thing with the RRR, regarding recording !

Cheers, from sunny South Africa :cool:

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  18. Ali

Ali Member

Sounds good JT. Not convinced on the ground hum theory. They tend to....well.....hum, not whine. Like this (skip to 2:40)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YM1iwC6vhg

Been looking around the net to figure out what the noise is and found this example of 50Hz hum (skip to 2:53)...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bv54-vZnqv8

RF Interference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJCedrm9sCs

Think you'll agree, our whine doesn't sound like those? The only thing I can get close to sounding like the whine is this....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbumzCdw4Ts

;)

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  19. 440gtx6pak

440gtx6pak Member

Regarding those high pitched tones with the Rockcrusher. I have that model, a Weber Mass, and a THD Hotplate. I have noticed this issue with all of them, especially with hand wired amps and then depending on the guitar or cables. It has something to do with some weird interactions and is a sort of microphonic amp oscillation. There is no rhyme or reason to which mixture of equipment causes it. The Hotplate since it is the dullest (poorest) sounding of the bunch is slightly less prone to it depending on the amp, ironically. Go figure.

Sometimes one attenuator might do this, but another might not, and then with a different amp the issue reverses. Distance helps as does changing up what you are using (even cables), but no attenuator I have is actually defective. I even have one particular Marshall amp that works great otherwise yet goes all wonky with any attenuator. Certain amps too work best with certain attenuators. That is how I ended up keeping all three. It's the nature of the beast, but you can get around it.

20. Husky

Husky Gold Supporting Member

You could use a two notes CAB with the reactive load.