Rivera Rockcrusher Initial Impressions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by tcmono, Feb 24, 2012.

1. tcmono

tcmono Member

I've had a Weber Mini-mass 50 for the last couple of years that I use for gigs and at home for my 64 Custom Shop Vibroverb. I use it to knock off a few dB's off so I can run the amp a little hotter. For the clubs I play, I can get the unattenuated volume on the amp up to 3, 4 max. This is a little cold sounding to me, so I like to crank to 6 and then attenuate. Anyway, I took a chance on the Rockcrusher. This thing just KILLS the Mass. The mass seems to compress the sound and take away the extreme lows and the extreme highs, leaving a mid-heavy tone. Switching on the treble boost doesn't help, I don't like the frequency that is boosted, too high and ice-picky. Anyway, I have used the Rockcrusher extensively at home at the 12 dB level and I can't hear ANY change in tone from the bypass setting. Almost like getting a new amp. I think the 8dB setting will be just the ticket at gigs. I've played around with the lower settings a little, and the Studio setting. The EQ switches work very well and are centered on good, usable frequencies. It can get down to whisper quiet. Of course it doesn't sound great down that low, but it's usable. All in all I'm happy with the purchase,even though it's 5X the cost of the Mass!

2. ripoffriffs

ripoffriffs Supporting Member

Don't you find that 1st attenuation setting, -3dB to be way more than 3 decibels when compared to no attenuation? At least it sounded that way to me.

Whereas all the other attenuation settings did not have that large a difference in volume when you compare, say for example, -8dB vs. -12dB.

3. jwnc

jwnc Member

I have one also and its the best most transparent attenuators I have ever heard.

4. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Member

I have the RockCrusher too and I agree. It is amazingly transparent. I actually recorded it for myself and, just as with the Rivera clip, it is transparent all the way down to whisper volumes.

5. midnightlaundry

midnightlaundry Member

Not a lot of love for these on this board. But like anything in life, people just decide to not like something for no good reason..

I'm pretty happy with mine. It seems that the more power your amp has, the better the RC works.

6. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Member

I've never read anything negative. There's just a lot of Alex, Aracom, Phantom, etc... fan boys on the TGP; likely because they were on the scene sooner.

7. dsmc80

dsmc80 Member

I absolutely love mine. I have owned or still own all of the other high end attenuators. The Rockcrusher IS the most transparent and is by far and away the best for me. My Aracom and Faustine aren't used anymore.

8. lang.murphy

lang.murphy Member

Just sold my Aracom. Loved it, but found a MV amp that I also love, so selling off my NMV amps. If I ever get another NMV amp, I will definitely be giving the Rock crusher a shot. Heard nothing but good things about it.

9. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

hmmm.

do you think it's more "transparent" than the Motherload Elemental?
    i tell ya --- if the Elemental had a "bass-bypass" switch & a "load"-switch,
    as do both the Rockcrusher (i think) & the HotPlate, i'd be all over it;
    it sounds & feels really great.

[​IMG]

10. dangeroso

dangeroso Member

All of Rivera's products deserve more praise than they receive around here. Their amps are nothing short of fantastic.

11. Billion81

Billion81 It'd be a whole lot cooler if you did. Gold Supporting Member

I am actually using mine to take load from the speakers so I don't blow up my 2X12 of Golds with 12K Metro SB. What I find with the RC is that it delivers very consistent tone across the settings- The Edge and Warm toggles are nice with Single Coils and Plexi Amps!

I would agree that -3 on the RC is a markedly larger step down in Loudness than the same setting on the Faustine and the Alex. The Alex does seem to let some more high end frequencies through on -3 and -6.

Perhaps ever so slightly less fidelity than the Alex and Faustine. Still, I like it a ton and it's a tank!!

back to working on Mustang Sally for tonight's gig.

12. sgt_steiner

sgt_steiner Supporting Member

Dusting this thread off to see if there are any more Rockcrusher fans out there? In the process of deciding what attenuator to buy, and these look like a serious option.

13. guitarrhinoceros

guitarrhinoceros Senior Member

I know this statement was from over a year ago, but it's so true. I bought a Silent Sister back in 2009. The thing is amazing and the quality and build are too.