Rivera Venus 3

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by tiny terror, Jan 29, 2008.

1. tiny terror

tiny terror Member

any feed back on the rivera venus 3

2. highgeer

highgeer Member

I spent about 45 minutes with one, and I think it's a great little amp. Great lower volume cleans that break up well for a bluesy/rootsy tone. Do not expect the typical Rivera higher gain though; classic rock at best. I much prefer my Venus 6, but it's twice the cost and twice the weight. If you are looking for a low wattage single channel grab and go you should check it out.

Mike

3. 02Singlecut

02Singlecut Supporting Member

Couldn't have said it better myself. It does scream when it's dimed!!!!! :BEER

4. tiny terror

tiny terror Member

does the venus 6 sound as incredible as the demo they have at rivera with Luis M. playing it.

5. Seegs

Seegs Member

I recently demo'd the Venus 6 along with a Quiana...Fandango and a Chubster and I couldn't get any of em to work for me with a 335 or a GVCG pine equire...

the string to string balance was the trouble with all of em...when I'd get the treble strings just right the bass strings were muddy when I got the bass strings right the treble strings were shrill...the eq. wasn't usuable above 3-4 and the OD channel was kinda hard and buzzy sounding...

I have a hunch that a speaker change might improve things...

the Fandango was the best of the bunch but I wasn't the least bit impressed...

Chow,
    Seegs

6. Gasp100

Gasp100 Member

Wow, I've been looking for a way to describe the OD channel on my old Fandango and you nailed it for me:
    "OD channel was kinda hard and buzzy sounding..."
    I must say, it kinda of kicked ass with humbuckers though... I still stand by the clean channel, sweetness. There must be a reason why many of the clips on their site show a guy playing humbucker geetarz, eh?

7. 02Singlecut

02Singlecut Supporting Member

YES....... I take lunch daily @ http://www.asharpmusicco.com/ and every time someone demos that little 1X12 my head turns. The amp blooms clean and hits you in the chest from 25 feet when it's dirty. They have a hard time keeping the 6 and the 3 in stock. :munch

8. highgeer

highgeer Member

In a guitar store setting I think it is easy to misunderstand any given amp. Try playing a Divided by 13 at a guitar store; it will sound awful. I think that the effects loop is the key to tweaking many of the amps that are touted on this board. The OD-100 is almost unusable for me unless I have something in the loop, same for Ecstacy, Dumble, two Rock, CarolAnn, Glaswerks, etc. Usually when you demo an amp in the store the speaker is not even close to being broken in, and most employees do not know how to dial in an amp. Many of these channel switcher need to be significantly tweaked before they sound good (Not like a Carr Imperial, Tone King, Dr.Z, etc.). I aggree that the Venus 6 can sound hard and buzzy, but so can any other amp discussed on this forum. The hardness is aggression that translates well in a live setting, and that is why this amp can sound quite modern if you want. I have tweaked out all of the buzz and hardness and have arrived at a more compressed(smoother)plexi-hotrod Marshall tone in the distortion channel. THe cleans are matchless (an often missunderstood amp) meets Underground 30 (often missunderstood amp). Can you tell I really like the amp? The first time I plugged into a Matchless SC-30 I thought it sounded terrible (buzzy, fizzy, harsh, brittle, nasally, etc.), but when I learned to tame it, I began to understood why it is a modern classic.

Jsut my humble opinion,
    Mike

Tiny Terror, Yes it it can sound just like that, but it can also be smoother and vintage soounding.

9. fragglerock

fragglerock Member

FWIW My Rivera (a suprema 55) and every other one I have ever tried sounds about 50% better and much warmer once it's been on for about 25-30 minutes. So if you are trying one out don't write it off after a 5 minute trial run from cold. I think the venus 3 and 6 sound awesome but my budget forces me to wait until they come up on the used market.