RMC10 or BMF Wah

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by soma, Jan 12, 2019.

1. soma

soma Supporting Member

Hi all,

Both these are available for around the same price in the UK. Which should I go for?

Play a Les Paul and a Strat with fuzz and OD through a Marshall Astoria with KT66s. Classic blues and blues rock.

Any samples greatly appreciated as I'll have no opportunity to test before buying.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  2. tonegangster

tonegangster Silver Supporting Member

I thought the RMC10 was one of the best sounding wahs I've played but, ended up selling it because I just couldn't get over the shallow sweep. I reached out to Geoffrey Teese and he said it could not be adjusted. No experience with the BMF.

3. calfzilla

calfzilla Cynical Hack Silver Supporting Member

The nice thing about the BMF wah is the switchable boards. I don’t know how many flavors @BMF Effects currebtly has available but it makes that single shell pretty flexible.

JumpinBradFlash and MoonshineMan like this.
  4. soma

soma Supporting Member

Wait whatnow, switchable boards?

5. MoonshineMan

MoonshineMan Member

I don’t think you can go wrong with either Teese or BMF. I have a Teese Picture Wah and a BMF stock wah and they’re both incredible.
    If I had to have just one, I think it would be the BMF. It’s just so easy on the ears. I don’t know how else to describe it.

JumpinBradFlash likes this.
  6. calfzilla

calfzilla Cynical Hack Silver Supporting Member

Yup! He has different wah flavors available and the board is able to be changed out by the user. I know he has his standard Marc ford recipe, a colorsound wah, I think he just did a grey vox wah, etc.

7. erksin

erksin Member

I have the BMF Grey Wah and I really dig it - very early Page sounds (How Many More Times, etc) in this thing. I’m going to get me another one of his boards to pop in there soon - brilliant idea, that.

8. DewieCox

DewieCox Supporting Member

Have had both. Really loving the BMF right now. I think the sweep really sets them apart. You just play them differently.

I’ve got the Vox Grey and Italian Crybaby boards and they really nail those sounds. Takes less than 5 minutes to change.

Really can’t go wrong either way but right now I’d say BMF. Bet you’ll love it and you could always snag a Clyde board to swap in later if you get the itch.

JumpinBradFlash, soma and erksin like this.
  9. DewieCox

Crazy how close it gets. First time I kicked it on, before I played anything through it, just the hiss you could hear the that early Page sound. I know that sounds kinda insane, but it’s a very distinct sound.

MoonshineMan and erksin like this.
  10. erksin

erksin Member

I don’t know how Page got away with running a Tele through it into those Ricky Transonics - and with a fuzz too! It’s a very toppy sound, for sure. I wound up rolling mine all the way back to the bassiest possible heel side setting and it’ll still take your head off. But it’s *THAT* sound in spades, absolutely.

MoonshineMan and JumpinBradFlash like this.
  11. soma

soma Supporting Member

Thanks all. 'Easy on the ears' is sort of what I'm after I guess. Just classic with a nice sweep. So what is the base BMF based on?

MoonshineMan likes this.
  12. DewieCox

Maestro Boomerang, the Shaft wah.

13. soma

soma Supporting Member

Interesting... Never had or even tried a Maestro.

14. MasterEvan07

MasterEvan07 Supporting Member

The modular board concept of the BMF wah is very cool, but I've only tried the Marc Ford version, which was sweet with a good range - not overly low and not too toppy.

The RMC10 has very quick travel but has a ton of character and sounds in the fast sweep. It's rich and sonorous. Not as brassy as a vintage Italian wah but still very cool.

If I had to choose between the RMC10 and MF BMF, I'd go RMC10 for its depth and musicality. But I'd sure like to hear Scott's other boards, too.

15. soma

soma Supporting Member

Where does one get to see/hear order these different versions?

16. tinkercity

tinkercity Supporting Member

I'd definitely go with the RMC10 if it's only between those two. Very musical and vintage. I did find it a bit bright at certain settings. I believe that's it's vibe though... going after a live Jimi sound.

I'd also recommend the Oxbow Studios Clyde Replica. Fantastic Clyde McCoy replica and sounds perfect. Maybe a tad bit milder than the slightly more aggressive RMC10. I do find the Oxbow much sweeter though.

For reference, I use an Oxbow in the studio and a Teese RMC Wizard Wah live as I like the wider sweep on stage.

17. BMF Effects

BMF Effects Supporting Member

Hey guys,

Yes, the boards in my wah can be swapped out for one with different specs giving you one wah with eight different possibilities. Currently these are available...

Colorsound
    Cry Baby Italian Spec
    Marshall Supa Wah
    Shin Ei Companion
    Vox Clyde McCoy
    Vox Grey Spec
    Vox V846

I am looking at adding more and have a couple in mind but I need to build them out to see just how much variation there is from the existing ones. I can also build out wahs so you don't have to haul a vintage one around, a client recently asked me to build him a Vox King Wah board for his BMF Wah as his was getting road weary.

As far as sound samples, that's in the works but @JiMB did one for the stock circuit awhile back that will give you and idea.

Lastly, a very sincere thank you for all the support over the years and patience while I transition to full time. Lots of good things coming!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  18. JumpinBradFlash

JumpinBradFlash Member

I’ve always wanted to try a RMC wah but they are not readily available down here. But my BMF wah’s have my needs well and truly covered and then some.

19. cosmic_ape

cosmic_ape Supporting Member

Get a RMC8, and tweak that EQ to suit your needs!

20. soma

soma Supporting Member

Hey Scott,

Thanks for the info. Are those all available in the UK? I think if I ordered directly from you in the US the shipping/import fees/VAT etc would very quickly price a wah out of my budget. I know joespedals.co.uk carries your stuff over here - would they be who to speak to about any of these boards or having the Coloursound version over the stock Meastro version etc?

Thanks,

Ben