RnR HOF Inductees, 2021....

makeitstop

Old dude with guitars
Platinum Supporting Member
Alt-rock veterans Foo Fighters, new wave pioneers The Go-Go's, East Coast hip-hop icon JAY-Z, singer-songwriter north star Carole King, mercurial rock savant Todd Rundgren and Queen of Rock n' Roll Tina Turner make up the Class of 2021. Of the 2021 performer inductees, Turner, King and Foo Fighters' Dave Grohl are already in the Rock Hall: King as part of the songwriting duo Goffin/King, making her the first person in the Rock Hall as a performer and non-performer; Turner for her incendiary work in the R&B duo Ike & Tina Turner; and Grohl as drummer of grunge legends Nirvana.

But that's not all. Early rap pioneer LL Cool J, keyboard master Billy Preston and hard rock guitar ace Randy Rhoads are also joining the Rock Hall with the "award for musical excellence" (which was originally titled the "sidemen" category when it debuted). And under the "early influence award" category, electronic trailblazers Kraftwerk, spoken-word poet Gil Scott-Heron and Father of the Delta Blues Charley Patton are joining the RRHOF. Music impresario Clarence Avant is the recipient of the Ahmet Ertegun award.

Pretty diverse group this year. Foo Fighters are no surprise, and I'm happy to see Todd finally get in there.

Blanket Jackson

Every day is like Tio's birthday
Gold Supporting Member
LL Cool J was seminal in establishing Def Jam. Def Jam was principal in establishing rap / hip hop in popular culture. LL should have been in a long time ago

Confused about Foo Fighters though. I mean, Al Leiter won 3 World Series and pitched a no-hitter when he was active - should he be in the Baseball Hall of Fame? Maybe it's a good analogy - are Foo Fighters the Al Leiter of rock and roll?

27sauce

LL Cool J helped to establish Def Jam
Should have been in a long time ago

Confused about Foo Fighters though. I mean, Al Leiter won 3 World Series and pitched a no-hitter when he was active - should he be in the Baseball Hall of Fame? Maybe Foo Fighters are the Al Leiter of rock and roll?
It’s kinda weird that they’re bigger now than they were in their heyday. I guess I’m old enough to see that sort of thing happen in real time now. :(

I saw them on the tour supporting their most successful album in a nowhere near sold out 7k seat coliseum.

WornFrets

Silver Supporting Member
Confused about Foo Fighters though. I mean, Al Leiter won 3 World Series and pitched a no-hitter when he was active - should he be in the Baseball Hall of Fame? Maybe Foo Fighters are the Al Leiter of rock and roll?
Not sure what criteria you're basing their deservedness on, but surely they've been one of the biggest rock bands in the world for the last 25 years?

27sauce

But what about Maiden!!???!!??!!,
Or the dozens of other acts that will inevitably be mentioned but don’t have and never will have any kind of resume to qualify?
It’s the rock n roll hall of fame, not the heavy metal hall of fame. See what I did there?

I think they’ve gotten it right way more than they’ve gotten it wrong. Do you want Maiden in instead of Little Richard?

Blanket Jackson

Gold Supporting Member
It’s kinda weird that they’re bigger now than they were in their heyday.
Gen X nostalgia. Boomers had CSNY and Zeppelin, we get ... Foo Fighters. Pass the oatmeal, please ....

I guess I’m old enough to see that sort of thing happen in real time now. :(

I saw them on the tour supporting their most successful album in a nowhere near sold out 7k seat coliseum.
They were OK I guess, I mean it's Grohl so how bad could it be? Just the same, I always saw them as the "edgy" version of Coldplay.

Blanket Jackson

Gold Supporting Member
Not sure what criteria you're basing their deservedness on, but surely they've been one of the biggest rock bands in the world for the last 25 years?
Does sitting in a stadium for several hours after the game has ended mean that you were there? I'm not crapping on Foos, they make coin ... I'm just saying that I'm confused about their HoF level impact to culture, etc. By the "biggest" point, do you believe that Ariana Grande should be in when her time comes up? She is surely one of the biggest acts in the world for the last 25 years too.