Road Case or soft Case for amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by severinsteel, Dec 18, 2009.

1. severinsteel

severinsteel Supporting Member

Hey guys, so I am not a touring musician, but I have hard cases for my pedalboard and guitar, so I was on the fence about getting a road case or a nice soft case for my baby, my Egnater Mod 50. I found this cool company called Studio Slips and they make some really nice looking soft cases. I don't gig regularly, so I am wondering if getting a road case would be overkill. I guess if I do end up touring I could always buy a road case. Maybe I just answered my own question! Anyway, I am curious to what you guys think.

2. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

my vote was, is & will always be "anvil case"

3. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

If you just play local gigs and haul your own amp I would go with a soft case. Back when I was young and dumb I had a Boogie Mark 3 hardwood combo with a Calzone case. After hundreds of gigs the amp still looked like new but the case made it a lot harder to load/unload out of my car trunk. Of course that amp was stupid heavy which didn't help. The advantage of the hard case was I always had something to put the amp up on.
    Since then I always use soft cases. I have a set of Studio slips for a Z amp and cab and they are great. I only use the kind of soft cases that are padded and have some kind of bottom protection.

4. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

The thick Tuki-style padded Cordura covers are very protective for everyday use and gigging. I love mine.

Anvil-style cases are awesome for touring, but damn, they are heavy and overkill for my gigging needs...

5. dazed1

dazed1 Member

Road case FTW man. I held out for the longest, but if you have nice stuff (which you do) its worth the peace of mind. Especially when you are loading out, tired, late, in a hurry- etc. Think of it this way: the odds are even better that your stuff will work at the next show! (ask me how I know :facepalm)

6. anais

anais Member

Call Tim from Xcase in mississippi.. great prices and top of the line. Go with 3/8 in thick ATA man.. a slip cover wont protect your investment if it is dropped or hit by a car in the parking lot or something.. why spend money on something that wont fully protect your gear? I have been playing professionally for 12 years, and every time I have used a soft case for anything SOMETHING happen to the stuff. a good road case will last you a LONG time and protect your stuff from that 'oops'.

7. shawnshack

shawnshack Supporting Member

I only load up in my suv and drive my stuff to my church, but I use a hard shell case for guitars, a flight case for pedal board and amp, and even an old pedal board case for miscellaneous stuff like mic's, cables, etc. The case for the amp is nice because it has large wheels and i can stack everything on top of it and roll it into the bldg. The other cases are nice because I've hit pot holes in the parking lot and knocked everything over a few times and haven't had to worry about damaging anything :)

sometimes people help me, and it's nice to know they are carrying tough cases because I know they won't be as careful as me. And when I look at my cases scratches and scuffs I'm thankful that's not on my gear. I had a soft bag I carried mics and stuff in before until I dropped it and dented a wind screen :(. Always safer with touch cases.

8. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

Yes, it would. And it will scuff up your car like crazy, too. I've been using covers for years and my stuff stays in great shape. Cases for the guitars, though. No gig bags for them.

9. Jemlite

Jemlite Member

Depends on how nice your transpo is :bong... a heavy anvil case will undoubtedly create some relicing of your mobile loading in and out... good soft cases are fine if you don't thrash your amp anyway. I always load my own stuff, so I only need protection from the occasional bump. My amps are heavy enough without another 30lbs of case.

10. yabasta

yabasta Member

anvil is overkill.

unless like you said your gonna tour or gig alot.

I went on 4 full tours with my tuki cover for my 4x12s, it was great!

11. SgtThump

SgtThump Member

IMO...

Big heavy duty roadcases are overkill and borderline silly for a player that gigs locally a few times a month UNLESS you keep your gear in the trailer all the time.

A nice padded cover is great for local gigs.

If you don't gig, I wouldn't bother with either. At the very most, maybe a thin vinyl slip cover.

12. cbguy

cbguy Green & Gold Supporter

Studio Slips are great for local gigs. I have clamshells (the zippered pouches are an additional plus) for each of my combos and a slip cover for an extension cab.

If I was touring, I'd go with a hard case. Barry Cases (aka Affordable Cases) are great and not as expensive as some.
    http://www.affordable-cases.com/

13. Stratobuc

Stratobuc Member

If you're not touring, soft case more than adequate. Your car and back will thank you later.

14. KGWagner

KGWagner Member

I'm a big fan of road cases, even though I don't move stuff around a lot. All it takes is one serious mishap, and you're cursing the world. In fact, I think next year one of my shop projects is going to be to build a 2x12 bottom into a custom road case. You can get all the parts used for that kind of case from places like Reliable Hardware. Get some 3/4" birch ply and all the associated hardware/laminate, and it'll look like an Anvil case, but only be the size of a typical (slightly deep) 2x12. Sorta like what this guy did...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With maybe a few modifications. For instance, I don't care for those handles or their placement.

15. barryoneal

barryoneal Member

I'm seriously looking at the studio slips as well. For carrying amps from the shop to a demo, a flight case is a little much. I just need something to keep it from getting scuffed.

If its going on a trailer, to cartage, or out of town, a flight case offers piece of mind.

-barry.