Road Trip leads to New Old Strat

hogy

Silver Supporting Member
Holy crap, that was the longest I ever drove to go look at a guitar, but it was so worth it. 1500 miles and four states later this gorgeous old Strat is home with me. Early '59.

zWA7240.jpg

It was somebody's only lifetime electric guitar, and it's not at all hard to understand why he put so many miles on it. It sounds stunningly good. I have played a few great sounding old Strats, and this one is way up on top. It's super stratty, and every pickup selector position sounds great. Even the neck/middle position, which I rarely like, is exceptionally clear and deep sounding here. I'll get some gig footage soon to let you guys hear it.

Whomever painted this sunburst had it down to an art. I love how it runs up and outlines the horn. Such a gorgeous guitar.

It plays effortlessly, too, with an extremely slinky feel. I wish I could figure out why some guitars feel like the strings are a full gauge smaller than they are. It's a mystery to me.

Anyway, you can tell I'm enamored by this guitar. Even after driving all day, I played it until 3am this morning. I just can't put it down.

DGdw5nm.jpg

8WoGinM.jpg

Joe Perry

Platinum Supporting Member
Very nice! Glad the trek was worth it! Looking forward to some clips (with the S/C hopefully).

Does this mean there might be something on the chopping block?

hogy

Silver Supporting Member
@hogy - not expecting you to share what you paid, but what range are these going for in the states at the moment?

I’ve long fantasied about getting a ‘59 Strat to sit alongside my ‘59 Esquire…I really dig that year. There’s one at my local shop (in Australia) but it’s a tad pricey:

https://www.sunburstmusic.com.au/fe...J1QID-nX15-QZYLugLM53YPU9TcC2B_xoCIHMQAvD_BwE

That's Aussie Dollars, right? So 40k US? That is high, but times are crazy. Not sure what current market value is, maybe in the low 30s?

Presto

That's Aussie Dollars, right? So 40k US? That is high, but times are crazy. Not sure what current market value is, maybe in the low 30s?

Yep that’s in Aussie so around 40k usd. Prices are generally high here, and yep things are nuts in general so was wondering what’s happening there - thanks.

Sounds like you won’t be getting much sleep owning that guitar - so if you ever need to offload it and get some rest let me know.

bterry

Prices are hard to pin down right now but, from a dealer, I haven’t seen a VG+ or better late 50s maple neck Strat sell for less than ~$32-35k in the past year. 1955-56 and late 50s and early 60s slab boards are going for a bit more, like $40k.

What’s the Aussie market like? I’m guessing harder to come by and more $$$ when you do? :)

Trending Topics

Top Bottom