Road Trip - Portland to SFO on the PCH/101 suggestions

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Release, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Release

Release Member

Any suggestions on how much time to spend in the areas and things to not miss? We have 8 days near the end of next month. We usually take our time and stop whenever we see something we want to check out... lots of photography stops. No kids.

I know we want to spend at least a full day at the Redwoods in Northern CA and I figure full 3 days for the Oregon Coast. Is this enough time or should I spread it out a bit more? We don't usually go on long hikes (3+ hours).

We've been to SFO a number of times and its really tacked on the end just for the cheaper flight home.

Any suggestions on what we can't miss is greatly appreciated.

2. ifallalot

ifallalot Supporting Member

I'd spend more time in the redwoods and less time on the Oregon Coast. The whole area is state and national parks with short hikes a-plenty

3. jkendrick

jkendrick Member

The Oregon coast is beautiful but it’s not the beach experience many expect. The tourism board even had ads that said, “your beach body will look great under all those layers.”

Scrapperz, 84superchamp and A-Bone like this.
  4. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

So it's like a typical Northern California beach experience?

5. ducker 1

ducker 1 Member

you might want to check out Crater Lake

sundog964 and Madsen like this.
  6. Release

Release Member

Yea, and thats why we want to see more of it. We were in Portland last year for a wedding and went out to Tillamook and up the coast for a long day and would love to go south this time to see more. I have absolutely zero interest in actual "postcard" beaches with white sands and umbrellas. The jagged, rugged coastline of Oregon (and the PCH south of San Francisco) is exactly why we're doing this road trip. Just not sure how much time to give for each area.

QRSS, Scrapperz and jkendrick like this.
  7. tarweed

tarweed Member

do a test run -- take the trip with Google Maps.
    Make good use of Satellite and Street View

jamess likes this.
  8. Release

Release Member

Thats going to be too far out of the way isn't it? Isn't it like 2 hours from the coast? Plus, I've read you need to book a place to stay almost a year in advance because there's not much there.

9. Weathered

Weathered Supporting Member

Not a lot I can offer on the CA front (never done that), but a few things to check out along the Oregon coast, especially for photo work:

Thor's Well - I've never been but it's very much on my short list: https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/thor-s-well
    Yaquina Head Lighthouse - I went here ~ 2 years ago, and it's a really beautiful area with lots of photo opportunities. The big draw is the lighthouse.
    Cannon Beach - Worth a trip for sure, very touristy. Haystack Rock is still pretty cool, especially if you can catch a sunset there.

3 days along the OR coast could be plenty - I think that it would ultimately depend on how much time you want to take at your stops.

Also, +1 on Crater Lake, but it's almost certainly too out of the way.

10. jnovac1

jnovac1 Supporting Member

cape perpetua is very cool. you can hike or drive up to the highest point on the coast for some great views. also, good beach access. yachats is nearby.

11. jkendrick

jkendrick Member

Cool, in that case may I recommend Yachats. It’s my favorite spot along the coast. We just stayed in Rockaway not long ago. Not sure I’d recommend it over other spots. But just north of there in Manzanita I’d definitely recommend the Big Wave Cafe for some good seafood. In Yachats the Yachats Brewery is good if you like beer.

jnovac1 and Release like this.
  12. cadduc

cadduc Member

out of the way but consider:
    Mt. Hood
    Bend/Mt. Bachelor
    Crater Lake
    a night at the Shakespeare festival in Ashland
    visit the big redwoods in NorCal
    visit Muir Woods

Boris Bubbanov likes this.
  13. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

I live in Washington, and one of my favorite vacation spots is Seaside Oregon. It's the kind of place where you just roll out of your motel grab a good coffee and walk to restaurants, a big antique mall, and of course the beach. This actually is a long and "deep" (meaning from the town to the water's edge) sandy beach where you can fly kites, beachcomb, just relax... If you aren't afraid of carbs I highly recommend the Elephant Ears. Don't worry, you'll find them :Devil

Cannon beach is short drive away with its famous "haystack" rocks.

Further south in lincoln city is a place I both hesitate, and rejoice in recommending. It's a restaurant with a very "problematic" theme these days. https://lilsambos.com/ For things like pancakes and biscuits and gravy its good. In that area the beaches can give up some very beautiful agate stones if the tide is right. Heck of a souvenir of your trip.

I would resist the "pig 'n pancake" chain you will see on the coast in Oregon. Incredibly mediocre. I would instead say any time you see an Elmer's restaurant and they are all over Oregon, not just the coast, stop and eat even if you aren't hungry :crazyguy

14. erksin

erksin Member

Heceta Head lighthouse is cool

Mendocino should not be missed

I’ll second the Yachats and Manzanita recs

The Oregon Dunes is really cool

Angeln likes this.
  15. Madsen

Madsen Member

Crater Lake is amazing but quite a ways inland. If you are considering it i'd stay in Medford, Grants Pass, Ashland or somewhere around there.

+1 on the Redwoods. Newton B. Drury Scenic Parkway is definitely worth the extra time.
    https://www.nps.gov/thingstodo/drivenbdparkway.htm

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  16. Angeln

Angeln Member

There are a dozen scenic lighthouses along the Oregon Coast -- you could plan your trip around those. In California, Arcata's worth a stop if you like quirky college towns.

Peteyvee and erksin like this.
  17. Angeln

Angeln Member

But watch out for the Crater Lake Monster.

[​IMG]

ducker 1 and Madsen like this.
  18. Madsen

Madsen Member

& the Wizards of Wizard Island.
    [​IMG]

ducker 1 likes this.
  19. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Yeah, I would not do 100% coastal explorations or anything close. The main Pacific mountain chain to the east of I-5 is just fantastic and offers a lot of contrast to the coast. Think about the way there could be Marine Layer and how the coast could be all socked in - I think you should be ready to jump inland and check out all the stuff between Springfield and Bend and all up and down the mountain spine, plus Crater Lake. And if you want or need hotter weather, but still fairly near the Pacific, Ashland and Medford can supply that.

Gasoline is STILL not self serve in Oregon.

Things to avoid: Klamath Falls and Redding. And Roseburg is still a logging town, basically.