Road worn Mesa 4 x 12

This is my kind of relic, real. I'm wondering if the smell would come out with new tolex.

https://baltimore.craigslist.org/msg/d/baltimore-mesa-boogie-4x12-cab/7124803888.html
I don't care what that dude says, given the abuse of that cab I'd be worried that some of the speakers could be damaged. If you try it out make sure every speaker sounds the same.

I wouldn't waste my time putting new tolex on that either. 4x12's are a dime a dozen on local market places. You can get them for $300-$400 in excellent shape. I'd offer this bozo $150 to take that piece of **** off his hands.

PRSAtomic

Gold Supporting Member
An original Recto slant/straight.... I always regretted selling mine.

Probably sounds great. Most of TGP has only ever had their equipment in a “smoke free studio” and has no idea what a gigged piece of gear actually looks like.
I'm thinking this one smells like the bottom of a keg, and sounds delicious.

ubernerd

that cab looks like any regularly gigged/toured cab. the price is decent for a recto slant/straight.

vchizzle

Pre pandemic prices of Mesa 4x12’s, $5-600 could get you one in good to mint condition, if you wait it out a bit $600 for mint one. Most of that stock of used gear is gone at this point. In that condition, $400 isn’t way out of bounds. Just cause the cab has road rash means nothing in terms of speaker condition. They’re big and heavy. A little(or a lot) of carelessness loading that in and out of a trailer or van with no cover will give you that result pretty quickly.

So if you’re gonna gig the crap out of it and don’t care about it’s appearance, you could do worse. Assuming all speakers sound good, call it $75 per with a beat cab to hold them. Maybe they’d take $350? If you’re putting it in your music room, I’d hold out or spend an extra $100-150 for one in good shape. Sooner or later they’ll come back to the used market. 25 years ago, people would spend $400 on a beat Marshall cab without batting an eye.

TubeStack

Silver Supporting Member
That thing probably sounds incredible. You just can’t beat long-worked-in speakers in a cab like that.

I bought a Mesa Traditional 4x12 that’s not quite as beat up, but is pretty worn in, and it sounds insanely good. Same with a fairly-beat 1960BX I used to own. There’s something to be said for many hours of high volume use.

Fitzer

Silver Supporting Member
Consider any odors that might permeate through whatever room you keep that in. It’s a large mystery box with a lot of stories to tell

It's a little rough, but that's what happens when you cram 4-5 dudes into a van with all of their equipment and drag it in/out of said van, up stairs, across parking lots, etc every night. I had a comparably awful looking Mesa 4x12 back when I was in the thick of my traveling too. I sold it for $350 maybe a decade back.

vintage66

What’s with the rhino? Worth an extra $50 if it has a cool story. Subtract $50 if it’s covering a rat chew hole.

Trending Topics