Road Worn Upgrades

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by benito, Dec 16, 2009.

1. benito

benito Member

I'm going to get a Road Worn Tele (Butterscotch) for Christmas, and in a couple of months I'll probably upgrade at least some of the hardware. But I have some questions:

Are there any three saddle tele bridges that can achieve perfect inotation, or are you always going to be a little off?

I'd like a filtertron or a minihumbucker in the neck, are there any regular sized neck pickups that are at least closer than normal to this type of sound?

Are there any Kluson style locking tuners, how do the stock tuners hold up?

Can you use a regular bridge with a bigsby?

Thanks in advance :D

2. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

It doesn't sound like you really want a Road Worn, however, the All Parts intonated brass saddles work quite well. No, they don't have any boutique cache but they work fine. I know from direct experience.

Gotoh makes vintage style locking tuners. You can find them at All Parts and probably other places, as well.

With an ash tray Tele bridge you'll probably have to notch the back of the bridge for the strings to pass through for use with a Bigsby.

Merry Christmas!

3. RRfireblade

RRfireblade Member

Here's a crazy idea. Why don't you actually get it first and see what you like or not about it ?

Madness I know. :)

Maybe a partscaster would be a better choice ?

4. CraigSuperLead

CraigSuperLead Silver Supporting Member

the glendale brass compensated saddles work and sound great also!

Good luck on your modifications, but (I'm gonna agree with the guy above...) maybe you'll just like it as-is. They really are nice guitars. I had a sunburst that I wish I hadn't sold. I thought it sounded pretty amazing. I just couldn't get along with the 7.5 radius.

5. Bluesman79

Bluesman79 Supporting Member

i have the exact same guitar....i put Lollar vintage T's in it....I can't imagine a tele sounding better!