Roadworn Strat Owners - did you keep the pickups or upgrade them?

David B

Gold Supporting Member
I like the stock tex-mex pickups, more than many high dollar hand made pickups. I don't like the stock stagger on the tex-mex, but since they are a plastic bobbin, you can just push the poles down near flat without causing damage, and to me, that makes the tex-mex sound really good.

monty

I kept them I love texmex pick ups. I have debated putting a hum bucker in the bridge though.

noisebloom

I know this is a ten-year-old thread, but. . . .

I have a 50s RW and a 60s RW. I'm keeping the Tex-Mex sets in both. Those are (arguably) my favorite Strat pickups. I like single Strat pickups on the hot side without being over the top.

Franktone

Gold Supporting Member
I keep TexMex pickups in there because they really sound great. They work really well when you sink them down low in the pick guard.

Telechamp

I had to replace the TexMex pups in my 2008 Road Worn 60's Strat because the bridge and middle pups somehow went kaput.. :confused

So I ordered some Bootstrap '54 Vintage Sparkles (as I was wanting more of a vintage tone anyway), and I really love these '54 Sparkles! Low output vintage pups that sound fantastic.

Last edited:

Sensates

I own both the 50s and 60s RW and replaced the pickups with PV59 and PV65. I like the TexMex enough to put them in another partcaster.

Daka3

I own a 50’s RW strat from the original run. I wouldnt Dream of changing those texmexes. To my ears, all five position ring with the ideal, muscular yet sweet strat tone. I turned Them Down flush with the pickguard, and I’m done for strat flavours. They Roll off really well too. I wired the neck tone control to the bridge pickup, and that gives me a lot of tonal range on the bridge unit, especially when overdriven. Great underrated set of pickups.

Daytona57

I traded for a 2008 RW 60s Strat, in approx 2010. I decided to change out the Tex-Mex pickups, when at the time, a rare Fender Custom Shop Fat 50s loaded pickguard was available for sale locally. I liked the sound after completing the research. Fat 50s are capable of glassy cleans and gain.

I changed the pickups, to give me a different sound, than the other Strats, used by the other bandmates.

I was very happy with the decision. This is my bandmate playing my RW 60s Strat, with Fat 50s. Pedals are MIJ Boss, lost to time, Fender PA 100 head, 100W tube pa and Avatar 2x12 cab. I am filming the video.

teleman1

Silver Supporting Member
Route the neck for an Arcane Gold or SIlver Coil humbucker. They cal it Gold foil picks. This will not devalue your guitar. Just that with your two remaining pickups would be awesome. I went nutz on a Coodercaster jaunt. My middle PU is a real deal tesico gold foil and I have a single coil Antiquity in the neck. If your just a strat guy, this is a must for your collection. I have an EJ, this guitar, and a 56 cs strat; all taste full different tone.

LJOHNS

I put a 60’s RW together last year. I swapped out the Tex Amex for PV 59’s. Love them and have no plans to ever change them.

Daka3

I do that all the time. What do you need to know? RW 50's strat, Dunlop JHF1, Marshall 2203 JMP 1980.

Dannyz

I do that all the time. What do you need to know? RW 50's strat, Dunlop JHF1, Marshall 2203 JMP 1980.
I would like to know how the TexMex pickups respond to silicon fuzz face into a Marshall and also how they sound clean. Dont want to "upgrade" the pickups for PV 59, Fat 50s, etc and get into the rabbit hole again.

My main Strat is an American Vintage 70s Reissue with rosewood fb and stock grey bottom pickups. The rest of the chain is 50W 68' Marshall, 4x12 with greenbacks, FFM1 Sil Fuzz Face, Clyde McCoy wah, TS808, phase 90, chorus, tape delay and reverb.

This maple Strat would be my Frusciante/Ronnie Wood/EJ/Clapton brownie esque guitar. Very different tones but all strat tones.

I can get this one for $1k.

Daka3

Man, I know this May come off as pure enabler-style raving, but I’d just snag that thing up fast as I could. For the gear and influences you mention, I would say you’re Golden with those Tex-mexes. I find the JHF1, Marshall and RW strat combo gives up the goods, insofar as you get all your classic strat/fuzz shadings with volume knob adjustments. This is the whole deal with the FF cirquit, and you will get those classic tones with these pickups. Clean? I like to get clean the dirty way. I employ some kind of OD and turn Down my guitar volume for fat, hyped, Bell-like cleans. I like those sounds and again, this pickup set delivers Them. I like having spare power in the tank, so to speak. All five positions do this for me. Hope this helps, and enjoy! Caveat: Remember to lower the pickups Almost flush with the guard. Just works.

Tootone

Getting my Roadworn 50's strat set-up wondering whether to upgrade the pickups to Custom 54s or just keep the stock pickups in.

What is the general consensus on the stock pickups?
Do you like the stock pickups?

If yes... why do you want to swap them?

If no... what don't you like about them?

sixty2strat

Anyone tried the Tex Mex pickups with a silicon fuzz face and a big Marshall?
I loved very powerful, like them more them the CS69 in my CS69 strat ,which always seem anemic to my. I run into a JMP 1987 with a oversized Hendrix cab or a Hiwatt Dr103 into a 1960 cab with 2 tonkers. I use a 1976 Si Fuzz face. Very early 70's Gilmour like, Jimmy too. loud as love.

unlike everyone else I# have set to fender spec for height and like them better then low

Trending Topics