roadworn vs jimmie vaughan vs eric johnson

amp48

What are your thoughts on these guitars? I like the playablility and sound of the 50's style roadworn guitars, and they are easily available to try out at the local GC.
However, I haven't had my hands on a jimmie vaughan or an eric johnson (maple neck model).

buckwild

Gold Supporting Member
They are all very different instruments. The Eric Johnson is gonna be several steps ahead of the other two in terms of quality of parts etc. However the neck specs are very different on that one. It has a 12' radius I believe which is unique. The Road Worns are really great instruments but like any other guitars there are dogs to be had so try before you buy. With a good steup a road worn can be a killer guitar. Personally I liked the 60's RW I had but the 7.5 radius was no good for me. The JV strat is a killer guitar too. Nice V shaped neck but has a Poly finish which gives it a bit of a diff vibe.

So...they are all cool guitars, buy the one that plays best for you. I've found that strats need to be tried out and explored before buying.

amp48

how fat is the neck on an Eric Johnson strat? Is it similar to the v-neck on the Jimmie Vaughan?

teleman1

Silver Supporting Member
I have owned the JV and now own the an Eric Johnson. Buckwild is spot on. The EJ is lighter and more resonant than the JV. The EJ is basically a custom shop guitar.

So...they are all cool guitars, buy the one that plays best for you. I've found that strats need to be tried out and explored before buying.

+1

I looked at a passel of Eric Johnsons (the original kind with the maple board) when these were $ 999 and I never found one I liked that much.

Buying a guitar with a quartersawn maple neck, even a thick one, is potentially a challenge. IMO. None of the ones I played even before that felt "Custom Shop" to me.

Trending Topics