Roadworthy Brit Style Amp Wanted for Tour

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Westlake, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Westlake

Westlake Member

A band has asked me to join them as lead guitarist for a short tour. For the past few years I've only played in the studio and the only amp I currently have is a Cornford Harlequin which, at 6 watts, is never gonna cut it live. So I'm looking for advice on a good roadworthy 2 channel vintage/mid gain amp (either head/cab or combo) priced at no more than $2500. The style of music is fairly classic 70s punk: Dolls, Heartbreakers, Joan Jett, etc. Although most venues will be mic'd, there's the possibility that some won't so whatever I get it'll need to be loud enough on its own to compete with a fairly loud (but not stupidly so) drummer and a bass player running into an old Ampeg stack.

I'm sort of lost. I've had reliability issues in the past with the Marshalls I've used so would rather rather go for something with that classic Brit tone but with a more solid build quality (which I don't mind paying extra for). I'm edging towards a Head/Cab set up but will consider a combo if it's the right one.

Some companies I've thought about are Mesa, Splawn, Bad Cat, and Cornford but I'm totally open to other suggestions.

Please help!

2. chequepoint

chequepoint Member

They're not 2 channel, but I've been using the "Lead" model from www.jaguaramplification.com for the past 2 years and it's a friggin tank. You could find the 2X12 combo around that $2500 point retail, prices are on the website are "MSRP".

The Lead is essentially a tweaked 70's super lead with 6L6's, only wired in the hiwatt mil spec style for reliability.

You can hear it in this video clip, on the right channel (Kerri's parts). It's pretty representative of how it sounds. The left channel is a Wizard. They might be hard to find depending on where you're located.

3. earthlydescent

earthlydescent Senior Member

Bad Cat Hot Cat 30. Great Brit Clean and Crunch.
    Mesa Electradyne or Royal Atlantic (I prefer the Electradyne though)
    Vox AC30 Hand-Wired. The cleans are great and the drive is very much like a hot rodded Marshall.

4. germs

germs Member

Orange - never had a problem.

you can pick up a 4x12 plus head for well under $2.5, especially with cash.

5. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

Ceriatone!

Cheap, boutique hand wired, rock solid and seriously great sounding. You could get one of their Plexi's and run pedals or get something like the AFD amp (or the new King Kong amp :bonk) which are two channel.

I own the Yeti and that is an amazingly great amp. It has a Marshallesque tone for any occassion.

6. package

package Silver Supporting Member

Why do you need two channels? Clean/dirty or dirty/lead boost? There are tons of great Marshall-flavored amps that are built like tanks in your price range. 212 combo or head/412 and you're good to go. I play the same kind of music and use a Valvetech Hayseed 112 combo with a Cele gold. I use an ABY pedal to plug into the EF86 side (set dirty for medium dirt) and the top boost channel (which is set clean and jangly). Stick a good stomp box in front (I use a Hot Cake), and you've got all sorts of tonal and gain level options. I'd imaging any of the plexi clones, like Germino or a Heritage Colonial, etc. would work the same way.

7. Tonesmiths

Tonesmiths Member

Try to find a used Jackson Ampworks Britain 3.0

8. FFTT

FFTT Member

Reeves Custom 30 or Custom 50 for a well built mil spec Hiwatt circuit
    or find, buy and refurbish a vintage Hiwatt.

Bad Cat Black Cat for closer to Vox EL84 voicing.
    I would also look at Matchless and /13 and 65 Amps.

You have set a realistic budget for a fine touring amp as far as U.S. prices go,
    but getting that quality in EU or elsewhere may be tough.

In Black Face Fender Voicing at a reasonable price, I'd look at the Gries 35.
    A whole lot of great British bands sound just dad gum fine through their Fenders.

With any of these amps, leave yourself some room for upgrade tubes and speakers
    as budget allows.

Importing outside of U.S., I'd not worry about the matching speaker cabs.

Buy the better amp and pick up a good used cab if you need to cut any corners
    to get you into that better amp.

9. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Member

10. Dave_C

Dave_C Supporting Member

I said the same thing but realized he wanted two channels. But, a Germino with pedals would nail it and works killer for me! LOL. That said, for two channels in a Marshall style amp AND roadworthiness, I'd look to Suhr and Landry.

11. ripoffriffs

ripoffriffs Supporting Member

There's a Port City Sahana for sale in the Emporium. Save yourself some $$$$.

12. Ekluksdahl

Ekluksdahl Member

13. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

www.humbuckermusic.com is closing out the 3.0's in anticipation of a new version. Killer deal!

14. projam619

projam619 Member

I agree with Reeves, such a great amp. And you can't go wrong with Divided by 13, and their loud! (check out the RSA23), Matchless, and 65 Amps (try the London).

I'd also consider the Morgan 30/800.

15. rawpower

rawpower Member

please post info on that tour, i love 70s punk.

16. Prerequisite

Prerequisite Member

I second this motion. You can't go wrong with a Handwired AC30.

Also, I think someone mentioned Jackson Ampworks Britian 3.0. Sounds great and an incredible amount of headroom, if that's what you're looking for.

Look into some Morgan Amps as well, especially the Dual 40.

17. vibrostrat43

vibrostrat43 Supporting Member

I'd say to check the Morgan 30/800 as well. I also suggest you take a look at 3rd Power's British Dream. That's at least for amps that are both Marshall and Vox, if you just want Marshall there's 3rd Power's Solo Dream #4, and there is also Morgan's MV45 (I think that's what it's called).

Another option that I think gets some Marshall tones is the Divided by 13 RSA23, LDW17/39, or JJN50/100 depending on how much power you need (they are all different circuits, but they all get great Marshally crunch from what I've heard).

18. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Member

The Germino *is* a 2 channel amp. :huh

19. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Member

p.s. If the op means channel switcher, then I'd recommend the Rivera Fandango. You may not think of that amp when thinking of plexi sounds but, trust me, it'll do it. Mine sits right next to my Germino and I can darn near nail the Germino with it. And, they can be had for $800-$1000 used. I paid $950 shipped for mine and it came with a nice Tuki cover.

20. pima1234

pima1234 Member