Roasted necks... worth it?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Webfoot, Jul 18, 2019.

1. KestnerGS

KestnerGS Supporting Member

Both of the ones I've owned maybe had a touch more sustain, negligible. BUT, to my hands- absolutely better feeling.
    NO IDEA why Fender continues to lacquer the fretboard on a roasted maple neck when the back is satin silk. Suhr does it right....

football and Badtone like this.
  2. VintageChime

VintageChime Supporting Member

Have the new Stingray Special, and as a guy who’d never played a roasted maple neck prior, I gotta say, I’m impressed.

As others have mentioned, feels rock solid, darn thing stays in tune more than any other instrument I’ve wailed on, and feels great under the fingers...

If you’re a flame maple or Birdseye lover, the roasting process also brings both out a lot more, and makes ‘em more prominent, so there’s that...

3. lns

lns Member

I think they are more stable than non-roasted maple necks. It got me asking myself why they dont roast the body too? I didn't experience a difference in feeling

4. jacklickson

jacklickson Member

Your neck is so fat..when it sits around the house...it sits AROUND the house.

Bam! Roasted!

Go Cat Go!! likes this.
  5. jacklickson

jacklickson Member

The Strat with the best tuning stability I’ve ever encountered was a Fender NAMM roasted neck model. The rest of it was rather uninspiring but it stayed in tune insanely well with them use.

6. DeadLazy

DeadLazy Member

I went out on a limb (for me anyway) and wanted something way out of left field so I got a Chapman Semi-Hollow ML3 Modern. So it’s the Tele style.

At first I thought it would be to just mess around with and a fun toy but it is, actually, a really good guitar.

The Tone knob is not great and I’d like to adjust or augment that but as far as the total package it is entirely different than my standard and good.

It is my first Asian made guitar, too.

To top of the oddity, it also has the glow in the dark dots on the top of the fretboard; it’s actually handy as I’m adjusting to a longer neck.

It made me realize just how invested I was in vintage style guitars.

This guitar will never replace my Fenders or cure me of Strats, but I’m going to want a strat that isn’t vintage next. I still want single coils but 24 frets and stainless steel frets and the roasted neck: I would like a strat with those specs.

Timbre Wolf likes this.
  7. RBH

RBH Member

Only 1.

8. PaisleyWookie

PaisleyWookie Member

So, not a really comprehensive number to form any opinion on it, much less call it BS. Got it. :aok

Timbre Wolf likes this.
  9. rburkard

rburkard Gold Supporting Member

Two Xotic guitars with roasted necks and not looking back. Tone, tuning stability - it’s all there.

PaisleyWookie likes this.
  10. HsuGuitarMan

HsuGuitarMan Member

I had a Suhr antique classic with roasted maple neck and rosewood board. The roasted maple neck was nice but not a game changer for me.
    I have since bought a Suhr custom classic with a roasted maple neck and board that I completely love and I will never go back - -great feel and stability and has that "worn" look without looking like a cheesy relic.
    The guitar also has a roasted alder body but I can't tell any difference.

darchirnoj likes this.
  11. darchirnoj

darchirnoj Member

I bought a guitar with a roasted maple neck. Played great. Sounded great. Sounded very loud unplugged. It was a Music Man Stingray RS.

Played a Tom Anderson Classic S Short (that I would’ve bought on the spot had it not already been sold pending payment). Neck felt great, played great. Had that same loudness (probably more) unplugged as aforementioned guitar.

I wasn’t look at those guitars for that feature, however. I was drawn to them for other reasons.

But no complaints here on a roasted maple neck. Not a must have or deal breaker, but no knocks on it.

12. TopJimmy5150

TopJimmy5150 Member

It looks nice. It's not a rosewood replacement but it has merit on it's own.

13. Kluch

Kluch Member

I think roasted maple necks look way better than normal maple. Beyond that I love the feel of mine but I can't say what other upsides there are to them.

BlackStrat_Fan likes this.
  14. BlackStrat_Fan

BlackStrat_Fan Member

I love everything about this neck (Warmoth.) I'm not going to make any fantastic claims about tone etc., but I'm more of a partscaster guy these days - roasted necks will be a default from here on.

[​IMG]

Kluch and Timbre Wolf like this.