Robbed at the border

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Little_Wing, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Little_Wing

Little_Wing Member

So my Warmoth neck has arrived at the UPS depot at the airport. They contacted me and informed me I owe $221.00 for import fees and taxes! This is already the most expensive guitar I've ever bought and now the government has decided to suck my wallet completely dry!
    And to add insult to injury, the delivery was to be sent to the UPS Store 1 block from my house but they're telling me I can't pay the charges there and I have to go to the UPS depot at the airport to pick it up! :mad:
    What I don't understand is the body came with no charges at all and the last neck I ordered only had taxes of $60.00 attached. I guess this will be the last order I make from Warmoth, no fault of theirs of course but this is just outrageous!
    I can hardly wait to put this thing together and play it to ease my troubled soul.

2. Ape Factory

Ape Factory Member

Don't ever, ever, ever let anyone ship something to you, in Canada, using UPS. Insist on another shipper.

M. Gregory, monty, NamaEnsou and 40 others like this.
  3. Ezzy911

Ezzy911 Member

Agreed. UPS is awful. Fedex or post is way less hassle.

4. rjpilot

rjpilot Member

From where to where?

USA Canada shipping should be about as seemless as possible as far as intl go. Normal trade relations and I believe Canada is free from most import duties here in the Etats-Unis. Perhaps a mistake?

Gig Young likes this.
  5. madhermit

madhermit Supporting Member

UPS are thieves. Just recently, I forgot to tell deLisle to not send a product via UPS, and got nailed for $80 USD brokerage fee. It was 20% on top of the base price. They suck!
    USPS and FedEx International Priority are the ways to go.

Edit: The brokerage fee was in addition to the tax I was charged and expected to pay.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  6. madhermit

As per my previous post. It’s a UPS money grab.

7. Little_Wing

Little_Wing Member

The body came by UPS and there was no charges at all. That's the part I don't get.

8. rowdyyates

rowdyyates Supporting Member

I doubt seriously that UPS is collecting import fees and taxes that they are not passing on to the Canadian government. They would be out of business in a heartbeat.

It’s certainly possible that they are collecting too much, but I guarantee the government is collecting it.

9. madhermit

They are absolutely collecting a fee for their ‘service’ on top of taxes that are legitimately owed. USPS and FedEx are up front and only charge what is owed, UPS slap a ‘brokerage fee’ on top. BS money grab.

10. madhermit

Just another reason to dislike UPS. Consider yourself lucky you didn’t get nailed. I think it happened to me once with UPS. I thought maybe they were changing. Nope. Got nailed the next 3 times.

11. Guitarworks

Guitarworks Member

OP, I guess you need to reach out to one of your US friends in Vancouver WA and ask them to accept packages for you. Then you cross the border to pay them a visit over a cup of joe or a fine glass of CC.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
    slider likes this.
  12. Little_Wing

Little_Wing Member

This is how it breaks down. The GST and PST are federal and provincial sales tax. I'd really like to know what this "Other Government Charges" is. When I get the paperwork, I'll go to the Customs and Excise office downtown and see if I can appeal this crap.

[​IMG]

13. cheezit

cheezit Member

Common mistake. Vancouver BC is just north of the Washington border, but Vancouver WA is way, way south, right down by the Oregon border. The US friend should be in Blaine, or Bellingham, or even Seattle. Heck, you could drive all the way to the Warmoth factory in Puyallup and pick it up, it's only a 3.5 hour drive.

14. buddyboy

buddyboy Gold Supporting Member

Wow - I see your point. I mean UPS is taking $10.00. That doesn't seem like the issue. The Provincial tax is almost half, and then you're getting banged for another $123?!? Wot?

15. madhermit

That is interesting. What the heck is ‘other government charges’? $10 for brokerage is by far the smallest I have ever seen. I got charged $30 USD brokerage fee for a $20 book.

HST/GST+PST is expected.

Maybe the wood is sourced from a country we don’t have a good trade relationship with? Maybe it is a fee for the type of wood? I hope you find out and let us know.

Spooky Action likes this.
  16. Nick Stedman

Nick Stedman Member

I worked for UPS during the summer, was going to be just a couple month thing. I left after 4 days, and never got my check for the work I did. i went to so many sofferent people in the “chain of command” and said t went direct deposit. It never did, and i googled and found tons of other people with the same claims. UPS to me is a total joke in every way. Ive never once had an employer, let alone one that is as big and known as UPS fail to pay me for the work i did.

Gevalt likes this.
  17. Little_Wing

Little_Wing Member

That's a good point. The shaft is Wenge and the fretboard is Ebony.

18. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

What's kind of sad is, you could almost get on a bicycle and ride from BC to Puyallup, pick up the neck, then ride back home the next day. As long as you don't get run over in Renton or something.

thiscalltoarms and slider like this.
  19. Magnets And Melodies

Magnets And Melodies Member

This x1000

20. Magnets And Melodies

Magnets And Melodies Member

No you don't get it. They charge you duties, taxes, and then a "brokerage fee" on top of those. When I asked UPS they said it's their "handling fee to process it through the border for you". It's something only they do as far as I know. USPS and the others don't do this. It's why Canadians always make sure to not buy things that will be shipped by UPS.