Robben Ford - '93 - Live - Great Fidelity

45RPM

Maybe everybody else has already heard this, I don't know how I missed it before. I didn't even find it on youtube to begin with. If you haven't, you are in for a treat.

Robben Ford & The Blue Line at the Montreux Jazz Festival in 1993. Not Jazz, they're rocking out. This track has nice fidelity. Fun to listen to.

I'm always amazed at the tone Robben gets from this period. He's just on fire. Reminds me why I love music and guitars so much. He is just wrenching all kinds of feel out of that guitar.

Last edited:

bob-i

Smokin hot playing. That tone, to me, is the benchmark for rock guitar tone.

RobertMiller

His work during that period is my favorite - my benchmark tone as well. His phrasing is stellar - those dissonant double stops and shell chords are incredible

swiveltung

Yep, for Phrasing he is king. Just amazes me sometimes. I really like his tone and work on this one: (lead at 1:40)

45RPM

His work during that period is my favorite - my benchmark tone as well. His phrasing is stellar - those dissonant double stops and shell chords are incredible
I agree totally with both of you. Benchmark is the word, the combination of his playing, guitar and amp is just the best rock tone out there, IMO. It's great to hear it so nicely recorded live.

I'm kind of surprised that more people haven't looked at the video. Maybe it is old news to most. Maybe the post needed a more inflammatory title to get some attention. Maybe it's just too musical for some. Who knows anymore.

Anyway, thanks for the comments and you guys have great taste.

Great guitar playing with benchmark tone is timeless.

Banditt

As amazing as his playing is during the "talk to your Daughter" period, I don't think the quality of the recording truly captured Robben as well as it did during the Blue line stuff.

GtrWiz

Funny how we all hear differently. I agree it's a great tone, but it's not a rock tone at all to me. Way too smooth for rock, great for what it is though which to me is totally a fusion thing.

45RPM

Killer playing and growling tone...assuming this is not the tele?
That is a very good question. I wondered that when I posted the video.

The Montreux gig was July 17, 1993

The following video was in Ontario July 24, 1993. In this video he is playing the Tele.

The Montreux recording is much tighter miked and has way more fidelity. Don't know if it is a different guitar or the miking. I love the low end growl.

gassyndrome

The vibrato is just sick. That was fantastic. This is another tone of his that I find amazing - at around 3 min is probably my favourite tone of all time. 335, huge volume, a bit verb and delay :drool

Sean French

Supporting Member
I saw Robben and the Blue Line live in '92 and '95.
My favorite era Robben for tunes, playing and tones. He was on fire during that period.

Balok

One of my my favorite Robben tones ever. Someone suggested it may have been his Yamaha Solid State period, but that is a textbook Marshall voicing in any case.
Starts at :32

Bluesful

Supporting Member
Killer playing and growling tone...assuming this is not the tele?

Indeed!
That is a very good question. I wondered that when I posted the video.

The Montreux gig was July 17, 1993

The following video was in Ontario July 24, 1993. In this video he is playing the Tele.

The Montreux recording is much tighter miked and has way more fidelity. Don't know if it is a different guitar or the miking. I love the low end growl.

It sounds like a bridge humbucker to me...whatever it is sounds really good.
I don't think it's his Tele. I think it's his sig Fender, which (I think) had coil taps right?

Bluesful

Supporting Member
BTW - that recording sounds decent. Would be great to see an official release of that '93 Montreux gig. I'd snap it up in a second.

Tone_Terrific

Supporting Member
I'm kind of surprised that more people haven't looked at the video. Maybe it is old news to most. Maybe the post needed a more inflammatory title to get some attention. Maybe it's just too musical for some. Who knows anymore.
:roll:rotflmao
Robben Ford..Dumble ..Politician
:bow ....:rimshot:spit