• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Robben Ford a dumble and a zendrive...

Pguitars

Correct me if i am wrong, but a zendrive is a dumble overdrive channel clone right? Why does robben ford uses a Zendrive INFRONT of his beloved dumble?
Any 2017 pedalboard pics from his rig? He changed his board a lot the last 5 years.

CarlGuitarist

Correct me if i am wrong, but a zendrive is a dumble overdrive channel clone right? Why does robben ford uses a Zendrive INFRONT of his beloved dumble?
Any 2017 pedalboard pics from his rig? He changed his board a lot the last 5 years.
I thought he only used the Zendrive to get that tone on other amps. One explanation might be that he tends to eq his cleans quiet bright nowadays, and that might sound to harsh on the OD-channel. The zendrive would allow him to tame those highs. But I'm really just speculating here

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
He uses his Zendrive for when he's using backline Fender amps.. I don't believe he's using it with his Dumbles. He's got 2.. one here in the states and another he keeps in Europe

Average Joe

:D
I see players w non-master volume Marshalls using a MIAB in front of it, making the pedal work as in effect a drive channel. I think something like the Plexitone was designed specifically for that.

Is it unreasonable to believe that Robben might do something similar w a dumble style pedal into a dumble amp?

Rod

Tone is Paramount
Gold Supporting Member
I dont think so. You can see on his rig rundown he uses a dumble with the zendrive in front of it...
Oh, I guess he changed things up again. Sorry.. the nerve of him doing that:)

Hitchens

The Zendrive is such a great OD.

I'm interested in some real clarity that he uses the Zendrive with a dumble. Doesn't seem to be any.

jnepo1

Gold Supporting Member
He has always stated the Zendrive is used when he has rented back lines. That being said, just because it's on his board when using his Dumble may be a moot point. As he also has his Dumble footswitches on his pedalboard as well. Whether he is using a rented back line or not.

DeVilleDude

I dont think so. You can see on his rig rundown he uses a dumble with the zendrive in front of it...
Just guessing, but maybe he uses the Zen>Dumble when he can't run the D in its sweet spot? Maybe someone with a Dumble can chime in to say how low in volume you can really get the amp to sing.

jnepo1

Gold Supporting Member
Just guessing, but maybe he uses the Zen>Dumble when he can't run the D in its sweet spot? Maybe someone with a Dumble can chime in to say how low in volume you can really get the amp to sing.
I've seen him play several times in small and large venues. He has no issues getting his tone. He used to conduct classes in Connecticut several years ago and would have his Dumble if he was on tour and of course would have that with him. There seems to be never an issue with him obtaining his sound.

aflynt

He's been running his effects in front of the Dumble lately in lieu of carting around the rack/Dumbleator. Without the loop, using the OD channel on the amp presents issues with balancing out the reverb/delay between the two channels. He's been using the Zendrive and Boost for OD more often as a result.

-Aaron

Last edited:

Top Bottom