Robben Ford, Dallas last night, Cameras??

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by felken, May 9, 2011.

1. Cruz Azul

Cruz Azul Member

Nice to hear a positive story about Robben too. I met him late last year and he was great to speak to. He genuinely thought about and answered my questions and seemed more than happy to chat... Just chucking it in there too...

2. telesquire

telesquire Member

There's atleast two hundred on my hard drive!

3. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009 Silver Supporting Member

good think fred farkus pops in just to remind us all how irrelevant we are...

4. JK47

JK47 Member

You might be on to something :)

BTW, generally the "taking pictures of people to see what reaction it evokes" I do more on public streets, etc, just randomly whip out a camera. I have a whole collection of doing this in Indianapolis and it's quite entertaining.

When it comes to photographing and taking video of performances, that is very important to me to collect and review those memories. It sucks that people try to take it away because some might use the collected material for nefarious means...

5. Red Suede

Red Suede Member

Same here. I haven't known him like that, but the times we've crossed paths he's been nothing but cool.......

6. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

Does Robben truthfully explain why he doesn't like pics, vids, etc?
    Maybe if he told his fans why they might understand?

7. HHB

HHB Member

The whole thing seems beneath an artist of robbens stripe. I carry my gear and then battle drunks for my own microphone All with a smile on my face. Politician is more than the song title

8. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

Guess no one knows :(

9. Balok

Balok Member

This is the crux of the mystery. Why not just make a polite statement.
    "I would be very greatful if you would refrain from picture taking..it throws me off for some reason. Thanks folks!". Of course, that would mean the end of the histrionics...

10. BigViolin

BigViolin Member

Read ONLY what I quoted and then read ONLY what I replied with. Someone who has been here as long as you has surely seen more absurd remarks. That's ALL I was saying. ;)

11. DanR

DanR Member

I was at one Robben Ford show and I'm pretty sure the issue never came up. That said, I almost went to another show, but a gig interfered with that. He was on a show with John Mayall and another younger guy who's name escapes me. I was very upset that I missed it cuz, at an intermission, Robben and Mayall interacted with the fans. Some friends of mine got pictures with Mayall and Robben signed stuff, but he wouldn't allow pictures. In this particular case, there were no problems nor bad feelings.

Having said all of the above, I can't help but be curious as to why he is so camera shy. On the other hand, if the tickets and venue clearly communicate that picture taking is not allowed, then those wishes should be respected.

12. kingsxman

kingsxman Silver Supporting Member

I'm glad I stumbled on this thread because I had never heard of this issue with Robben. Very odd. Its glad that so many people who've met him say that he's a great guy...but to me...great guy or not you still cant behave the way he apparantly has at a few concerts. That doesnt mean he's not a great guy..but it makes you question WTF he is thinking.

I'd love to have the opportunity to experience this first hand..but Robben barely ever shows his face here in Minnestoa. Last time he did was 2 years ago with Larry Carlton and I was disappointed that the ENTIRE show was about 50 minutes. I expected more.

13. mhz88

mhz88 Member

probably don't want anyone capturing his guitar face like what happenned to this dude

[​IMG]

14. 21stcenturykid

21stcenturykid Member

I think anyone would be pissed off by whats going on in this video!

15. HHB

HHB Member

I don't see anything in that vid that a pro couldn't handle. He'll the stage lights are worse than the photos should he play in the dark too

16. FatTeleTom

FatTeleTom Member

And note that Robben doesn't appear to have any problem with it. Presumably those are authorized photogs, and Robben is probably just putting up with the flashes.

In any case, it's nice to see the thread come around to a video of Robben playing the crap out of the guitar!

17. Berlebster

Berlebster Member

Video take in Europe.
    I mean , american guys must have a wrong way doing it ....

18. HHB

HHB Member

It is a smoking vid ain't it

19. bluesman

bluesman Member

I've met and talked with Robben countless times, been to four of his all-day clinics (including the one at his house - always gotta throw that in there :)), had my picture taken with him a few times, and he is definitely not a jerk or any of the other things people have called him here.

The subject of his disdain for flash photos has been around for years and I don't think it's that complicated. Based on what I've witnessed myself as well as what I've learned from people who know him quite well, it comes down to the distraction. He doesn't want to be distracted while performing. So, when were talking about photography, that distraction will either come from flashes and/or the distraction the photographer often creates by being right up against the stage, moving around to follow Robben's movements, hands up in the air with a camera pointing at him (flash or no flash), etc. If you're not near the stage causing a distraction and not using a flash, I think he wouldn't care if he even knew. But if you are being a distraction, you're being inconsiderate at best.

Off stage he's always been cool about pictures and just asks that people don't use flash. I think we all know how much fun it is to get the flash in the eyes, don't we? Now imagine how many people he meets that want a picture with him. Seems to be a reasonable request.

I'm saddened by the righteous attitude by so many on this thread. The 'I bought a ticket so I can take all the pictures I want', the 'deal with it, Robben', the 'what a jerk' crap just shows how many people have a ridiculous sense of entitlement. "It's my right BECAUSE I WANT IT!" ********.

You deleted all your Robben Ford music? Good for you. You're not going to see him perform again? Fine. At least you won't be bothering me either by jabbering with your buddy during the performance or sticking your fat paws up in the air, blocking my view so you can get another picture.

20. Rod

Rod Tone is Paramount Supporting Member

Bluesman, there's a large population of entitled babies here on The Gear Page these days. They do this instead of playing guitar. Their Entitled and narcissistic attitude is really disrespectful to say the least...I TRY to ignore them...It's not always easy to do here