Robben Ford DVD's

Discussion in 'Playing and Technique' started by tonezoneonline, Apr 1, 2005.

1. tonezoneonline

tonezoneonline Member

I'm a big Robben Ford fan and considering buying a couple of his instructional DVD's.
    Blues and Beyond
    and
    Playing the Blues
    Anyone tried one of these?I'm a intermediate player and hoping to learn from these DVD's
    Any other suggestions in the blues/jazz style?

2. bbarnard

bbarnard Member

I have them both what would you like to know?

Blues and Beyond is more advanced and could be challenging. Playing the blues is more on the beginner/early intermediate level.

Blues and Beyond has a pretty good tab book with it but the tab is a little nonstandard. It is also hard to pickup some of the things that Robben is doing from watching because of the way he "webs" his pinky and ring fingers together when he plays.

If you are an intermediate I would think you'd bored with Playing the Blues, I'd recommend Blues and Beyond but there is some pretty challenging playing on that one.

3. tonezoneonline

tonezoneonline Member

Thanks for the reply.It sounds like Blues and Beyond is what I'm after but think I may just get them both.
    Is there a good mix of lead and rythym techniques on each?

4. bbarnard

bbarnard Member

Probably more lead than rhythm. Some rhythm though and chords in the tab book that comes with the second one (B&B).

5. FatTeleTom

FatTeleTom Member

I've got them both (and have "Back to the Blues" on order), and would recommend both.

Bbarnard's pretty much covered it, but I would add that Playin the Blues does also have nice section on rhythm/comping--shows some application of sliding 6ths, and a handful of chord forms that may or may not be familiar to you.

If you already know the basics of playing blues leads, the *information* in Playing the Blues probably won't be new. Robben basically talks about using the pent. minor scale (plus a couple of variations) of the root chord over the blues progression (i.e. using the G minor pent. over all 12 bars of a blues in G). But, there's a lot to be learned from RF just in that simple context.

Blues and Beyond is definitely more advanced. Talks about changing scales to match the chord, using mixolyidan mode, etc., and then digs into playing Revelation and Ain't Got Nothin But the Blues--two songs with much more complex changes. Robben notes that you can play pretty basic blues stuff over most of both songs, but presents lots of other options for playing the changes. I've already learned a lot from this video in particular, and there's still a lot more for me to work on.

A couple of nice performances on both disks as well.

6. Jo

Jo Silver Supporting Member

I've got all of Robben Fords dvd's and his instructional ones are just great to watch for the pure entertainment value of them as well as the instructional value. It's great to watch him sit down and play 3 or 4 variations of tracks like Revelation and Ain't Got Nothing But the Blues (my personal fav) etc.

His RF and the Blue Line Concert DVD is my fav concert dvd to watch. They're all in such a tight groove that night that I had to rip out the audio so I can listen to it just as an audio cd.

I'd recommend getting all of them :)

7. bobbymack

bobbymack Supporting Member

I'm a big RF fan too, and have all the tapes / DVDs, and agree with the posters above.

I would recommend Back To The Blues though. It's a two part video that has only recently come out on DVD and can be had on ebay in DVD format for under $30 new. Instruction wise, it's right between the elementary Playin' The Blues and the (for me) pretty advanced Blues and Beyond. Plus, it has some great numbers by The Blue Line recorded specially for the video, and some pretty interesting philosophical stuff from Robben in interview segments...

Back To The Blues is my favorite instructional video of any I have seen. It has it all. :dude

8. bbarnard

bbarnard Member

I'm going to have to find that one. That sounds about right for my current ability too. I find Blues and Beyond too advanced right now (although in truth I haven't really spent much time with the Tab book trying to master it).

9. tonezoneonline

tonezoneonline Member

Amazon shows this one as a special order for $29.95 on DVD.
    The time frame is 4-6 weeks but the price is good.

10. FatTeleTom

FatTeleTom Member

My copy of Back to the Blues just arrived the other day ($29.99 from Musicians Friend I believe), and so far I'm very pleased with it.

I'd agree that it's in between the other two in terms of overall skill level. Plenty of advanced stuff on the level of Blues and Beyond, but also a lot of more accessible stuff as well.

Just the stuff at the end of part two on using triads is probably worth the $30 bucks I paid.

Also some really strong material on rhythm playing here that I can't wait to start working on--it really provides a lot of insight to some of the great comping Robben does.

Note: The performance videos and special features on the DVD releases of Playing the Blues and Blues and Beyond all come from the "Back to the Blues" session, so if you already have the two earlier vides, there will be some overlap.

But, I think the additional material in Back to the Blues makes them a very valuable addition to the collection. The additional interview segments, particularly the bit on "melody and music" are well worth it. And it's nice to have all the performance stuff on one DVD, rather than spread out on two separate disks.

So, thumbs up on this one too.

Tom

11. bluesman

bluesman Member

There's also a 'Highlights' version so just be carefully to get the full version.

12. Jim S

Jim S Silver Supporting Member Supporting Member

If you're an experienced "Neil Young" play-by-ear player who can't read music and doesn't know theory or scales, would they be too hard?

13. bluesman

bluesman Member

You can still get something out of them, but I highly recommend learning some basic theory. Nothing fancy, but you'll get more out of these videos and anything else you study if you have the basics down. Otherwise, a good amount of what he's saying might not make any sense.

Blues and Beyond, and Back to the Blues both come with tab books so that will help a lot.

14. jhvox

jhvox Member

Netflix carries both Back to the Blues and Blues and Beyond, so you can "try before you buy". You don't get the books with them, but you can see which video would be best for you (if you are, of course, a member).