Robben Ford eras

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by amstrtatnut, Feb 24, 2020.

1. amstrtatnut

amstrtatnut Member

Ive seen Robben Ford twice during the 2000s and its been life changing both times. Not that I play any better. Let me take that back. He doesnt do run on sentences and I tend to try to emulate at least that about his style.

What I noticed about his playing is that he seemed to go from a straight blues style in Charles Ford band to a more fusiony style in the 80s maybe? And that lately its almost like rock fusion blues. The chord structure/voicings and overall sound in his later material seem a little more predictable. I think I prefer more jazzy line oriented stuff and wonder why he is more sparse with it nowadays.

What are his jazziest records? I only have a few.

NotWesYet likes this.
  2. NotWesYet

NotWesYet Supporting Member

Great thread. Two examples that illustrate your point came to mind. From his early days with Tom Scott to more recent offerings.

3. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Member

Supposedly they did some more Jazz/fusion type stuff but Arhoolie IIRC * was not the label for that.

I think the Charles Ford band elpee was on Arhoolie. He was playing a big jazz box with Witherspoon more of less about that time. Anyway the first release remains my favorite.

4. Jazzandmore

Jazzandmore Gold Supporting Member

Do you have his first album, Inside Story? It's with the guys that formed the jazz group The Yellowjackets. He is also on their first album.

This is my favorite for him with the Ford Blues Band...and it ain't no blues ;)

Comet01, NotWesYet, TNJ and 1 other person like this.
  5. Laurence

Laurence Silver Supporting Member

6. Carltone

Carltone Gold Supporting Member

You need to get the 3 Jing Chi records if you want some some more fusion Robben.... the live one is especially great!

stratohiker, PierreL, Datsyuk and 4 others like this.
  7. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

Where does all this footage come from?

8. Bluesful

Bluesful Supporting Member

Check out the Minor Elegance record he did with Joe Diorio.

9. Laurence

Not his jazziest stuff. One was was backing Jimmy Witherspoon. They made at least two LPs together, maybe more.

The other is with his brothers in the Charles Ford Blues Band (named after their dad). They dropped a few albums as well.

guitarjazz likes this.
  10. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

The one with Outside Of Town is one of the greatest live guitar albums. The audience is hollaring at almost everything Robben plays. His comping is fantastic too.

Bluesful and Laurence like this.
  11. Laurence

This is Robben's full on jazz LP. One side Guitar, one side Sax.

Schizophonic
    is a jazz album by Robben Ford, released in 1976. The album title refers to Robben Ford's interest in playing two instruments. He began playing saxophone at the age of ten, but at thirteen he heard blues guitarist Mike Bloomfield. The music is a mix between different styles in the jazz. From Blues in the first track, alongside Latin to more Jazz fusion as known from his later album The Inside Story. On the first track and the last track Robben Ford plays the saxophone.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
    amstrtatnut likes this.
  12. MrGuitarhack

MrGuitarhack Member

IMHO his work with Jing Chi is probably his most jazz influenced material.

My favorite is his playing on the first Yellowjackets album

13. Balok

Balok Member

Not sure what he was using here in the late 70s or thereabouts but a pretty heavy tone for him.

14. Bluesful

Boogie?

15. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

RF has diverse influences and I like him best when he’s fusion-y or blues-rocky.
    Talk to your Daughter, Jing Chi, Mystic Mile, Handful of Blues, Minor Elegance.
    I’ve seen him twice...with his band 2002. With Larry Carlton 2009.

Amazing both times.

Sj

16. Average Joe

Average Joe Member

The first yellowjackets album and the solo Inside Story is probably as close as he got to jazz as whole albums are concerned. And even those are fusion. Then there's the Joe Diorio disc as well as the two Jerry Granelli albums. The latter have him play some older standards and are mainly instrumental. He also made an album as a sideman with violinist Christian Howes.

I think he stated sometime that he thought the jazz and fusion thing was too hard, that he wanted to focus on blues and his singer/song-writing thing. He'll tap into the jazz thing from time to time, but he doesn't seem willing to go all in. It also seems to me that in the last couple of decades he's been pushed the hardest in a band context (Jing Chi) or as a sideman. His solo stuff seem to be on the safer side.

An overlooked track of his.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
  17. Bluesful

I have that album.

It's ok, but nothing special. I much prefer Minor Elegance.

18. flcmcya

flcmcya Silver Supporting Member

Around "82" a guy at work let borrow a Yellowjackets and Robben Ford album .....on a brand new Sony Walkman!

I had it for a week and didn't want to give it back...... never heard anything like it and definitely changed my thoughts on guitar music.

PierreL likes this.
  19. Average Joe

Average Joe Member

That's the way I remember it. I had it but somehow mislaid it

Bluesful likes this.
  20. Sammo

Sammo Member

My favourite RF period is between recording of TTYD (I think it was recorded around ’86) and first Blue Line recording - I am basing this on some live bootleg recordings and videos. He had such a fire in his playing then. Also Russell Ferrante and Vinnie Colaiuta was playing with him then. I saw Blue Line live couple times in early 90’s here in Finland and he was god to me then, but at least based on those recordings, he was even better some years prior that.

Bluesful and amstrtatnut like this.