1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Robben Ford Falling out of Favor w/ the Celestion G12/65 ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by NFB, Mar 23, 2008.

1. NFB

NFB Senior Member

Robben is looking for a replacement of his Celestion g-12/65? Maybe too much mid range honk. EMI's are in!

Courtesy of roknroll at the amp garage.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. gweeterman1

gweeterman1 Member

what do you mean? both of those are g12-65's

3. NFB

NFB Senior Member

Looks like two totally different speakers to me?? Why is he not running 2 Celestion g12/65's?

Why an EMI?

Would like folks opinions.

Thanks,

4. parker

parker Member

It says "G12-65 Clone" on the red speaker :cool:

5. NFB

NFB Senior Member

Why would he need a clone, I am sure he can afford an original?

Any idea if these speakers are available?

6. scottl

scottl Member

Better yet, why isn't RF using the "wonderful" RWB that you all dig! ;)

7. NFB

NFB Senior Member

Scott,

You know better than that, I'm a EV12 man. But, seriously why do you think he is trying out and EMI?

8. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Maybe for the same reason I'm running a Emi Wizard in my Fargen combo and a G12H30 in my ext. cab. I prefer the frequency pairing of the two over using 2 G12H's or 2 Wizards.
    I a/b'd the Wizard and G12H back and forth and found I prefer the Wizard with overdrive and filters like phaser and wah, so I keep the Wizard in my 1x12 combo. When I pair it with a G12H, I get a fuller low end with a little more bite in the top end that the Wizard tends to smooth out. They make a great 2x12 pair for my set up. Just my experience, who knows what RF is up to.

9. NFB

NFB Senior Member

I run an old EVM-12L and a EMI Red Fang 2X12 configuration, and yields extremely good results with many of my amps. But, the way I look at it is Robben has many high end speaker choices and does not need to clone anything, heck he could go to celestion and they would make him about anything.
    The question is why? Why is he not happy w/ the g/1265 or other combinations that are readily available?

10. Jim

Jim Member

The real 12-65 says " bought on e-bay new 05 " Any thoughts?

Jim

11. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

Wow, guess I have to stop using them now.

12. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Jackson Heights Birthplace of Johnny Thunders
    he or his tech is messin with your heads

13. welcometoashley

welcometoashley Member

Chicago (Humboldt Park/Ukrainian Village)
    i guess the bottom line is if robben ford likes the speaker and it works for his rig and what he likes to hear, does it really matter? i'm sure he's pretty picky about his tone so maybe he's just found a combination that works regardless of the brand of speaker or if it's a clone...

14. NFB

NFB Senior Member

I would not stop using them, if they are what you prefer, than by all means stick with what works.

Just wondering why Robben is trying a new speaker?

15. Red Suede

Red Suede Member

People experiment all the time, and Robben experiments with pickups, speakers, effect boxes, and wiring configurations a lot. He talks a little about it on one of his videos.

16. NFB

NFB Senior Member

I understand as we all experiment, but Robben has been employing the same rig pretty much, ex: TC Electronic 2290, Dumbleator, ect... for a long time. At times, he is know to play a Fender Twin, but year after year it's the Dumble rig that he relies on.

Question, why is he looking at the speaker specifically in this case?

17. Marty

Marty Member

Based on past posts on the RF board he likes the G12-65s fine. His problem with them in the past is road reliability. I think there were some posts on the Weber board about this as well. According to what I remember he has been looking for a higher reliability sonic clone for several years. He seems (from the posts) to go through a fair number of the G12-65s on the road. He gets, or actually his tech Daved gets them reconed. Ted Weber used to do that.

This is somewhat dated but was the reason back a few months/years.

-marty

18. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

And look at the volume and gain settings. Almost dead on with the ones he used every time I saw him. Proves again once and for all he is just NOT that loud. That is totally average stage volumes, and about what would be needed to get over a normal drummer. This is around the settings I used on all of Dumbles at ultrasound, and also, about where I use my twoRock even though it is only 50 watts. The volume difference between the 100 watt tan Dumble at Ultra, and the 50 watt E.Pro was not a lot. I think you could feel a little more push in the bottom than you could actually hear.

:munch

19. NFB

NFB Senior Member

Tag,

I agree, saw him perform in Boston a while back and he was not loud at all. As a matter of fact it was a lame performance.
    If people could every understand how Mr. Dumble had the perfect master volume, it could be turned down without loosing any of that tone or sustain. I have played and worked on many amps in my time, and no amp has come close to Mr. Dumbles circuit. Your E-PRO is about as close as it gets.

Saw Mr. Robin Trower last night at Berklee, he kicked butt and was loud. Anybody out there want to dispute that?

20. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Not me. Trower is LOUD. Too loud for my taste, but I think his style kind of requires it. Great emotion in his playing. You can close your eyes and just kind of float along with it.