Robben Ford/ Gear hound or gear whore?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by OldSchool, Jul 23, 2006.

1. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

I love Robben like everyone else. I met him at the Sam Ash Music in Edison N.J. and he was super cool and polite. But can anyone here tell me what kind of Guitars this guy digs or did he ever have a #1? When I met him he was peddeling Fender CS guitars. Said they were the best ever. Then I saw him jump to Baker Guitars.........Now he's back to Stock Les Pauls and Fender Teles. What kind guitar does Robben Prefer? Is he just a Blues/Jazz boutique Version of Paul Stanley or Joe Walsh jumping from Maker to Maker or who ever is the elite taste of the day or does he have specific tastes that seem to change over time? If you were seriously trying to cop some Robben ford what guitar do you think best represents him? His Fenders sounded amazing at the time............(I am bias to Fender's custom shop BTW)

2. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Robben doesn't say too much bad about anything, so I suspect it's partly business sense and partly good manners.

He likes humbucker guitars, he likes his Tele, he likes his 54 goldtop. Gene Baker was at the Fender Custom Shop when Robben was pimping for them, and Gene has built many of Robben's current guitars.

I really don't think of his as a gear whore....

3. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

really? I didn't know that. I guess ole Gene is the secret ingredient then. [​IMG] I haven't seen him use anything from the Fender era or any of his Baker guitars recently though. I'm guessing he doesn't want to give Ed Roman any good press? Surprised he doesn't have any of Genes New Guitars .........

4. Dave Orban

He may, but I think Robben requires a fair amount of "tweakage", so maybe the new B3 recipe isn't quite there yet, for Robben...

Gene also worked at Gibson's custom shop, before Fender...

5. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

The man has skills huh? :)

Thats probably a fair assesment..........Plus Gene has to walk the line of coming up with something that not only Gibson and Fender won't get pissed off about..........he needs to stear clear of his Roman owned Baker designs. Could take time.

Could you imagine Ed Roman sueing Gene Baker for copyright infringement!? Now that would be Ironic!! [​IMG]

6. MarcJ

MarcJ Member

I think most of Robbens humbucker guitars have coil splitter switches or push-pull pots. I read somewhere that he prefers single coils for lead playing. I know I get better results with single coils when trying to get Robben type sounds.

7. telest

telest Member

Like most everyone, he probably likes a change of gear now and then. :AOK

Steve

8. Dave Orban

Oh, he's already selling the Robben Ford B3 model...

Look in the Dealer Emporium under Cliff C's posts...

9. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Supporting Member

He does, here are a couple small pics of the new B3 Gene sent him.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From what I've heard/seen, Robben uses his 60's tele on most gigs, along with a couple Les Pauls, including a vintage one given to him by Larry Carlton. I'm sure you will see this B3 show up as soon as Robben has some time to spend with it.

10. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Oh...............My wife is gonna Hate you guys!! :jo

Let me see one in wine Red and somebody will have to take my check book away!! :messedup

11. Dave Orban

I know what you mean...! LOL!

12. stout-hearted

stout-hearted Member

Getting back to the original thought - "What guitars does Ford like?"...I recall seeing pictures of him in one of his instruction books with a good ol' Danelectro. A blues/jazz player will use whatever tool fits the song or gig. It is amazing what you can get out of those budget guitars that you pull out of your "dream guitar."

13. mockoman

mockoman Member

He played a 335 back in the 70's...LA Express,George Harrison Tour,etc.

14. Marty s Horne

Marty s Horne Member

I remember seeing him with Jimmy Witherspoon early in his career and he had a Gibson jazz box, either an L 5 or a Super 400.

15. Robertito

Robertito Member

When John Fogerty released "Centerfield" in the late 80s, Saul Zaentz, who owned the CCR catalogue, sued him for plagiarizing himself. Nice guy.

16. go7

go7 Member

No doubt,Ford is an awesome player. I have seen him use many different guitars.I do think he does enjoy his endorsement cheques. And so would I.

17. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Supporting Member

It's my understanding Roman has the "Baker" name and the headstock shape. There is no issue with the new ones.

18. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

:eek: !! That actually might put him in a lower class then Ed Roman..........if thats possible.

19. stratoquack

stratoquack Supporting Member

When I saw Robben a couple of years ago with Gregg Allman & Friends, he played 2 Les Pauls, a gold top and a sunburst. I was a little surprised at first, but when they broke into the 1st tune...it just sounded like Robben Ford.

20. Mrgearguy

Mrgearguy Member