1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Robben Ford/Modern Clapton higher gain

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by BradB41, May 20, 2011.

1. BradB41

BradB41 Member

Got a gig this weekend. We're doing about 4 or 5 tunes that call for a medium to higher gain overdrive sound...Mayer's Crossroads, Clapton's Tore Down and Sweet Home Chicago, Ray Wylie's Snake Farm, and Robben Ford's Talk to your Daughter.

I usually only rehearse with a Luther Drive. I'm an old TS guy, so the Luther feels like home to me. My board is set up as follows:

Guitar-Polytune-Mojo Hand Analogue Filter-Fuzz of some sort...either Lunar Module or London Fuzz ge-Luther Drive-Tremulator-Phaser-Delay-Durham Sex Drive.

The truth is, I could replace the phaser or fuzz and not miss either one too much. I have a DLS and a Screwdriver available to stack. I'm playing thorugh a Maz 18 2x12 combo with an attenuator.

I'm probably being a little stupid about my tone, as I'm sure I'm the only one in the place that would notice it, but I like to recreate tones.

Should I crank the gain and use high compression on the Sex Drive or should I yank the phaser off the board and stack the Luther into the DLS or vice versa? Or should I use the Screwdriver? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. We are rehearsing tonight, so I'll have some time to play with things. Generally speaking, the Luther pretty much covers everything else we play.

Oh yeah...the gig is outside, so I may not even need anything different since I think I'll just be cranking the amp and not running it through the board. I still want to hear some thoughts from the tone freaks out there.

2. david(j)

david(j) Supporting Member

oh man you've got a ton of tone possibilities there...

i'd work the DLS with the Luther and the Screw Driver. SD --> DLS will give you a killer lead tone...

and actually, the london fuzz into the DLS will, as well...

and the luther into the DLS...

and probably the Sex Drive into the DLS...

it's a great platform pedal. my advice would be to use it as such with a lower gain crunchy base tone on the Rock setting and experiment with other pedals in front.