Robben ford with Strat?

eddie101

Platinum Supporting Member
Robben with a Strat. Totally killing the sh*t out of this Miles Davis Jam....
Killing it! RF is more of a 'bucker/tele player though than a strat player. I think RF said that too awhile back, and AFAIC he doesn't own/play strats anymore.

eddie101

Platinum Supporting Member
Why wouldn't he sound great on a Strat? He's a great player, and strats can sound great.
I don't think he cares for that thin stratty sound much since he plays so clean. Even on the clip, you can see that he replaced two pups on the strat for beefier tone I presume.

Balance

While not recent here is a cool clip of Robben on a strat backing up Robert Cray in the '80s.
That band is nuts! Heavy hitter after heavy hitter. Do you know if Cray toured with these guys? If he did, I’ll have to hunt down some more performances.

55hz

His chord playing is just so clear, and when you put him in his own playing situation, he just brings clarity into singing single notes. I wish I could play that loud!

NotWesYet

Silver Supporting Member
That band is nuts! Heavy hitter after heavy hitter. Do you know if Cray toured with these guys? If he did, I’ll have to hunt down some more performances.
The band is the house band from the show Night Music, originally called "Michelob Presents Night Music." Finally, offered in syndication at first it was only shown on the original NBC owned and operated stations.

It mixed extraordinary guest with an incredible house band.

The show also featured a house band of Omar Hakim (drums), Marcus Miller (bass), Philippe Saisse (keys), David Sanborn (sax), Hiram Bullock (guitar), and Jools Holland (piano).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunday_Night_(American_TV_program)

smv929

I've tried to talk to Robben three times after a show or clinic. Never a fan boy or obnoxious and I didn't try to shake hands. Just an intro comment commicating his playing has really taught and inspired me, been a fan since early 80s, have all his stuff, so he knows I paid him. Never got much more than a what a dumbass rube vibe. It's ok. It must get old to hear praise like he probably gets. My goal was to say something nice at first, but then something more interesting to him to hopefully get a brief conversation going, but I just stopped and gave him his space. I still admire the hell out of him.

On a side note, Paul Stanley, ironically, was so much easier to talk to and down to earth at his book signing. I'm in the mid south. Robben may have prejudged me. I always heard he doesn't like southern audiences, which is why he doesn't tour in the south.

smv929

I heard him say it in an interview once. He didn't say audiences or people literally, but still. I was surprised. I get it. He's a sophisticated player. Played with miles and is loved around the world. He likes crowds that listen. Although there is some of that in the south, there's more of his audience in Chicago, NY, etc.

Trending Topics