Robben ford with Strat?

HellsKitchenGtr

Gold Supporting Member
I go to see him every time he's in NYC. I'm perhaps a rare fan in that likes his new solo stuff quite a bit. And I came to him late - I am fine with his singing, I like it, and I can see it's really important to him to incorporate that. I am good with it, I don't need solo after solo, and I get it, I might make the same choice. But some of the songs he's written in recent years are really really good - and some of those he plays, some he doesn't. Midnight Comes Too Soon is a great jam vehicle. So is Rose of Sharon which I think he played again last time I saw him. I think I've heard Indianola at every gig. He loves that tune - I'm probably over it, lol. He doesn't do the old stuff like Nothin' to Nobody and Don't Deny Your Love, Help The Poor or Riley B. King another one I love. Peace on My Mind. Let alone Talk to Your Daughter. Nope, just nope. I respect it a helluva lot - he'd probably have built more of a draw if he paid attention to that kind of ****. But when you do that, you start to build a machine around you, it gets bigger and I think he definitely doesn't want that. When that happens, a lot of people see their well being wrapped up in what you're doing, the pressure builds and that's REALLY HEAVY man. Hell, it sure killed Jerry Garcia. ****ed up a lot of bands and artists. That's what I see, he's trying to avoid that.

Yea, he definitely plays what he likes. He changes it up - he toured with Lee Roy Parnell and a young gun, and it was interesting... but he didn't care that we woulda been happy with just him. He also toured with a young guitarist that did an ambient thing that was REALLY interesting and worked well against Robben's style and didn't pull any of the solo time.

HellsKitchenGtr

Gold Supporting Member
Oh Virginia is my favourite song he's written.
Yea, absolutely great tune. I might have overlooked that one a little. Very strong album. He sounds SO GOOD with organ. Fool's Paradise is another one he likes to play lately and that is just fine with me. On That Morning might be my favorite instrumental of his ever. It's got so much atmosphere... he uses that Wes octave style and it's so sweet.

jnovac1

Silver Supporting Member
I give him props for singing, something all guitar players should be doing, BUT, at his level, he could use a compelling vocalist to give his songs more weight. (I love comma's')'. I've probably watched more of his instruction videos than other artists, and still can't put 2 and 2 together!
i dig his singing. complemented him on his vocals after a gig and he gave me a complex look. middle pickup on the strat?

stevieboy

Clouds yell at me
Gold Supporting Member
The band is the house band from the show Night Music, originally called "Michelob Presents Night Music." Finally, offered in syndication at first it was only shown on the original NBC owned and operated stations.

It mixed extraordinary guest with an incredible house band.

The show also featured a house band of Omar Hakim (drums), Marcus Miller (bass), Philippe Saisse (keys), David Sanborn (sax), Hiram Bullock (guitar), and Jools Holland (piano).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunday_Night_(American_TV_program)
Yeah, and as the wiki article shows some other great musicians moved in out of the house band over the run of the show. Ford would occasionally appear instead of Hiram, as I recall always with the Strat. I assume Hiram was off on some other project. Pretty good sub! I watched the show regularly when it was on, it was actually my first exposure to Robben.

Here's another clip from the show, with Tracy Nelson singing a Slim Harpo tune. And Ford, of course! With a Strat, of course.

Last edited:

Average Joe

Best of the 'modern' Robben Ford albums IMHO.
It and Truth are imho his best studio albums as a leader this century. I've been a fan since some time in the 80s, and most of his albums as a leader these past 20 years have been pretty weak on material.

Of course there were other good albums featuring his playing in that time - the Jing Chi stuff, various live releases, etc. But Robben the songwriter have had an extended dry spell unfortunately.

Anyway - back on track. I loved his strat sound with Davis. And I suppose it's also the gear he used on Blues Connotations. Sounds like it at least. Those are some of my favourite Ford sounds on record

NotWesYet

Silver Supporting Member
Yeah, and as the wiki article shows some other great musicians moved in out of the house band over the run of the show. Ford would occasionally appear instead of Hiram, as I recall always with the Strat. I assume Hiram was off on some other project. Pretty good sub! I watched the show regularly when it was on, it was actually my first exposure to Robben.

Here's another clip from the show, with Tracy Nelson singing a Slim Harpo tune. And Ford, of course! With a Strat, of course.

I had just been promoted to Program Director at an independent television station when I got the promo kit on "Sunday Night." I not only agreed to air it I was the first and possibly the only one airing in Prime Time.

Incredible show that pulled great numbers in a mid sized and diverse market.

jiml

Gold Supporting Member
Great player, but kinda grew out of him (like Eric Johnson).

Saw him live during the "Blue Line" era, great stuff, but man he was loud.

amstrtatnut

In case some of you missed it, here is a really great interview Robben did with Rick Beato. One thing I took away from it is that he cares a lot about his lyrics. His favorite solo is from Rose of Sharon, which is not so flashy. I think he wants to serve the song, as an improviser.

Ive seen Robben twice and it was life changing and inspiring both times. I think like many blues players, his strength is in his live performance.

rwijaya

I think im in minority to think that Robben Ford produces better music ever since the move to Nashville. I think his last album is really good. he really ventures out with his songwriting.

eddie101

Platinum Supporting Member
He's said in recent times that a Les Paul is the perfect guitar for him.
Yes, but he also says it has to be OLD WOOD. He is playing a '54/59 Les Paul conversion with period correct PAFs. The guitar sounds great but he's playing this "octave notes' thing which I'm not too crazy about. I guess he's trying something different after all these years but just not my cup of tea.

Last edited:

HoneyNut

I really that Into The Sun album. Its less rock and more pop oriented, but the songwriting is excellent. His newer album with Bill Evans is just great. I like what he is doing lately in that regard.

bluesman

In case some of you missed it, here is a really great interview Robben did with Rick Beato. One thing I took away from it is that he cares a lot about his lyrics. His favorite solo is from Rose of Sharon, which is not so flashy. I think he wants to serve the song, as an improviser.

Ive seen Robben twice and it was life changing and inspiring both times. I think like many blues players, his strength is in his live performance.

That was one of the best interviews of Robben I've seen in a long, long time because Rick didn't ask him the same questions he's been asked a thousand times.

kimos55

Follow your dreams turst your heart
Gold Supporting Member

@10:52 I haven't seen him with a strat for a LONG time. I didn't think he was a strat cat, but man he sounds great here!

He's also killing it with a tele! Dayum......
Thanks for posting VID

Trending Topics