Robben Ford/Zendrive Report

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by tga-3, Oct 29, 2005.

1. tga-3

tga-3 Supporting Member

Last night we saw the John Mayall Rockin' Blues Revue in Elgin, IL. Eric Bibb, Robben Ford, Mayall and the Bluesbreakers. I was in the second row center, right in front of Robben. Recipe for killer blues guitar tone: Les Paul > Zendrive > Super Reverb. His amp was NOT miced, just raw guitar tone from his speakers to your ears. We spoke to him after the show and he said he really liked the Zendrive. If you get a chance, check it out. A great opportunity to hear the Zendrive in the hands of a Master. We've all heard a lot of great tones, but for simple raw overdriven tones it's hard to beat that equation of Les Paul > Zendrive > Super Reverb. I've seen Robben several times and really did not miss the Dumble one bit. The Zendrive is the real deal!
    FWIW,
    Rick

PS
    Eric Bibb and Mayall and the Bluesbreakers put on a great show as well. Buddy W. smoked on slide thru his Dr Z.

2. Don Rusk

Don Rusk Gold Supporting Member

Thanks for the report !- they are in St. Louis today and supposed to come by a friend of mines store - I hope I can get down there.......

3. rfmason

rfmason Member

TGA's comments are right on target. I was at the show too. It was really fun. And yes, the zendrive sounded pretty darn good. What really killed me was how good John Mayall was. This guy is 70+ years old and he and his music are still fresh and energetic.

Another thing that was great was how accessible the musicians were. They were all very cordial, polite, and patient with the fans and seemed genuinely happy to be there. All in all, a really fun show and if you get a chance you should try to check them out.

Rob

4. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Robben used the same rig in Lake Tahoe this summer, great tone. made me buy a Zendrive which I still love.

5. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

Anybody have favorite settings for their Zen Drives...?

6. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

Vol: 2:00
    Gain 9:00
    Tone 12:00
    The last knob varies greatly, but somewhere between 10:00 and 1:00.

I like to "soften" my bridge pickup yet get more gain with the Zendrive. I already have the amps somewhat overdriven and just use it to get a fatter tone with a bit less highend, more low mids and a bit more bass. I do not use the Zendrive with the neck pickup on a 2 pickup humbucker guitar.

7. Gotham City Blues

Gotham City Blues Member

I've got 4 or 5 favorite settings on this thing. Looks like I'm gonna have to get another one....or maybe ALF can make a dual channel Zendrive!

BTW Dave, the combination of the Zen into that Tone Tubby I got from you is KILLER!!

8. jpagey

jpagey Member

I have a Custom Double ZD on order from Alf to go along with my ZD/Mos double. I aksed Alf to make the 2 sides stackable and the first ZD in the pedal to have lower gain than the std. ZD.

9. jpagey

jpagey Member

Tone at 9 o'clock, voice at 3 o'clock. Volume and gain vary.

10. Don Rusk

hey jp maybe you want a Zen/4knob Mos combo, might give t he range you want~~

11. jpagey

jpagey Member

Nah, I had a 4 knob Mos--not for me.

12. diatonicdude

diatonicdude Member

Hi Derek Q,

Here's a link showing a dual Zendrive (A/B'ed I think!).

http://andersonforum.com/board/showthread.php?t=1676&highlight=zendrive

I have a dual A/B version on order (one standard, one with slightly higer gain).

It's true, there are so many great sounds in the zendrive that sometimes you wish you could have more than one easily on tap.

I would say Alf would make just about any configuration you would like, but be aware he is one busy guy. He will give you an honest lead time, and is one really great guy to deal with, as you probably already know.

Cheer's,

DD

13. Don Rusk

My 4 knob made the same sound as my 3 knob side by side, but with more options, why would you not want it?;)

14. jpagey

jpagey Member

I've had two 4 knob Mos' and compared them to a 3 knob Mos and my M2 and found they did not sound exactly the same. It was about a year ago and I think Alf told me there were slight sound differences in the 4 knob Mos and 3 knob Mos, because of the extra knob--but do not quote me!

Anyway, I did not like the 4 knob Mos as much as a ZD or a 3 knob Mos...go figure!

15. Don Rusk

ah ok, well yes the Zen and 4mos are in different ranges so I can see t hat, depending on how it was used......

16. Gotham City Blues

Gotham City Blues Member

Wow!! I did a double take when I saw that photo. Uh oh.... I feel a GAS attack coming on.......

17. pfrischmann

pfrischmann Member

I'm sure the Zen drive is great but a lot of it is Robben. He just sounds great no matter what he plays.

18. tga-3

tga-3 Supporting Member

Yea, Robben is a hell of a tone generator no matter what he uses. I've only heard him with his Dumbles and The Twin. This combination of Les Paul > Zendrive > Super Reverb really works for me (and him). FWIW, I did find out that his amp was miced from the rear.
    Happy Trails,
    Rick

19. Mullet Kingdom

Mullet Kingdom Senior Member

Amen to that!

Robben could play an Epiphone through a Peavy Bandit and still sound awesome.

20. andybog

andybog Member

Robben was using the same set up in Long Beach, CA at CALSTATE. The only thing is, don't you think his buddie Howard, might have modded his Super for him? What ya think? Who would know?

Just a thought.:confused: