Robben Ford’s new PRS McCarty * Vintage Cherry*

TNJ

Gold Supporting Member
Didn't John Mayer have a PRS kinda like that when he was playing with the Dead?
John's had an F hole and a different, middle, pickup though.

Sj

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
Didn't John Mayer have a PRS kinda like that when he was playing with the Dead?
John's had an F hole and a different, middle, pickup though.

Sj
You mean the Super Eagle??

That's a completely different guitar.

Reactions: TNJ

hurtwoodec

I believe this is the one Paul originally built for Robben and was used at some point in a blue line recording, not sure which record though.

ProfRhino

I believe this is the one Paul originally built for Robben and was used at some point in a blue line recording, not sure which record though.
I'm sure she's a nice gal and all that, but personally I would miss the wraparound, which is one of the very best things about the original McCarty, imho.
I like two piece as well (preferably the PRS upgrade), but that's a different vibe, on SCs and semis.

ymmv,
Rhino

cmc2878

I'm sure she's a nice gal and all that, but personally I would miss the wraparound, which is one of the very best things about the original McCarty, imho.
I like two piece as well (preferably the PRS upgrade), but that's a different vibe, on SCs and semis.

ymmv,
Rhino
I have a CU22 with a stoptail...that hardware is a thing of beauty. There's something special about one solid chuck of metal transmitting all the energy of the strings straight to the body of the guitar!

tktk

Could the reversed neck bucker change the tone enough to notice the difference? I've always wondered about it since I saw Robbie Robertson's ROA tele but never have tried it myself.

JoeB63

Silver Supporting Member
Could the reversed neck bucker change the tone enough to notice the difference? I've always wondered about it since I saw Robbie Robertson's ROA tele but never have tried it myself.
I think the difference is when he splits the pickup (via the mini-toggle), the coil that's still 'on' is the one closer to the bridge (presuming in the normal position, it's the coil furthest from the bridge -- and I'm not sure of that).

tktk

I think the difference is when he splits the pickup (via the mini-toggle), the coil that's still 'on' is the one closer to the bridge (presuming in the normal position, it's the coil furthest from the bridge -- and I'm not sure of that).
Thanks. Yeah a coil tap. That makes sense.

melvins

Silver Supporting Member
It's the only PRS models I'm interested in, frankly. I really like whatever the ebony does to their typical guitar recipe. For example, I have NO problem swapping pickups or whatever to tweak a guitar. But my CU24 Artist with ebony board is so clear and loud, and the HFS/Vintage combo sounds fantastic in there. Easily the best CU24 I have ever heard, and I attribute the clarity and cut to the ebony.

I’ve never been a fan of the sound of the ebony board guitars I’ve had, but my gawd those look frigging awesome.

ucnick

Silver Supporting Member
He talks about guitars and the PRS from his Live Quarantine YouTube stream that plays every Sunday.

The clip was from last week's....He talks in detail about the guitar at ~33 min, but doesn't mention the color. :(

It seems that the Instagram clip's audio was cleaned up, they were probably recording a different feed of video when they did this because the YouTube live stream is distorted. Probably his girlfriend's phone. I watched it that day, and there was an audio lag.

Here's the link to watch last Sunday's

I think that's Anne...

Trending Topics