Robben Ford's Sahara Moon...avoid if you think solos are a waste of time :-)))

Jazzandmore

Platinum Supporting Member
This is off an album called The Ford Blues Band, Ford and Friends. It's a great album, but many likely haven't heard of it.

But here Robben cuts loose, and it ain't no blues ;). Think I recall reading that they just played this for the heck of it and it just so happened it was being recorded.

jnovac1

Silver Supporting Member
This is off an album called The Ford Blues Band, Ford and Friends. It's a great album, but many likely haven't heard of it.

But here Robben cuts loose, and it ain't no blues ;). Think I recall reading that they just played this for the heck of it and it just so happened it was being recorded.

cut robben loose and stand down! i complemented him on his singing, i think he was a little embarrased. real deal!

Jazzandmore

Yeah nice lineup on this album, different guitarists and singers for different songs:

Personnel: Chris Cain , Scotty Johnson (vocals, guitar); Charlie Musselwhite (vocals, slide guitar); Mark Ford , Andy Just (vocals, harp); Patrick Ford (vocals, drums); Fenton Robinson, Lowell Fulson, Dewayne Pate (vocals); Luther Tucker, Robben Ford, John Wedemeyer (guitar); Tony "Macaroni" Lufrano (keyboards); Gabriel Ford (percussion).

Additional personnel: Mark Ford (harmonica); Stanley Poplin (bass guitar); Chris Cain , Fenton Robinson, Lowell Fulson, Luther Tucker, Robben Ford, John Wedemeyer, Charlie Musselwhite Fords & Friends songs.

Buzzard Luck

Wow, really great, a bit of the Holdsworth and dimeola studies showing here. Fascinating. Excellent guitar tone, remarkable playing. What year?

Jazzandmore

@Jazzandmore

Thanks for posting this. I have to have the album!

EDIT: I am about to embark on a Ford expedition via YouTube.

Found out about this album completely by accident years ago. Some very cool and diverse songs on there especially with all the different players, I think you'll like the album. I have never seen any of the other Ford Blues Band albums myself, but the group is headed by Marc Ford if I'm not mistaken.

gkoelling

Found out about this album completely by accident years ago. Some very cool and diverse songs on there especially with all the different players, I think you'll like the album. I have never seen any of the other Ford Blues Band albums myself, but the group is headed by Marc Ford if I'm not mistaken.

Thanks, I didn't know that. I see only one other tune from the album, "Luther's Lament".

Jazzandmore

Thanks, I didn't know that. I see only one other tune from the album, "Luther's Lament".

Yeah I was surprised yesterday when I jumped on YouTube that only two songs from the whole album were on there. Surprising how unknown the album is.

Bluesful

Silver Supporting Member
but the group is headed by Marc Ford if I'm not mistaken.

I thought Patrick was the 'leader'? I could be wrong.

If you like this sound and playing in the OP, you need to get all three Jing Chi cds with Robben, Jimmy H. on Bass and Vinny C on Drums... the "live disc" is especially great!

Robben's solo on this track from the live record is probably my favourite Robben solo.

Jazzandmore

I thought Patrick was the 'leader'? I could be wrong.

Yeah I'm not really sure who is to tell the truth.

Actually just looked at the site and it's Patrick Ford that comments on the project, so you are probably correct.

Last edited:

swiveltung

Love it... interestingly, I just looked for this cd.... $24 used or $150 new!

Last edited:

Trending Topics

Top Bottom