Robbie Hoddinott of Kingfish fame... does anyone know what happened to him?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by mountain blues, May 17, 2011.

1. mountain blues

mountain blues Member

I remember loving seeing Kingfish back in Palo Alto in the 70's and dug Robbie Hoddinott's guitar work. Does anyone know what became of him after Kingfish broke up?

2. sfarnell

sfarnell Gold Supporting Member

After Kingfish...heroin. Last that I heard a few years ago he was living in the Tenderloin in SF and was still a stone cold junkie. Tragic....he was called the "boy wonder" when he was in Kingfish and could really play that tele of his (I think his tele sold last year on eBay). There used to be a recent YouTube clip of him and he didn't look well. He looks about 80 years old.

3. mountain blues

mountain blues Member

Wow... that is really sad to hear. Thanks for responding.

4. john b

john b Member

I heard the same thing, done in by drugs. What a shame. He was a killer player and, IMHO, Kingfish was about the only interesting thing Weir ever did outside the Dead.

5. zzzezums

zzzezums Silver Supporting Member

liked Kingfish, but respectfully disagree about it being the only interesting Weir-band. Weir was only a member of Kingfish for a brief time.

6. john b

john b Member

Did you ever see Bobby and the Midnights?!!!

7. zzzezums

zzzezums Silver Supporting Member

yes, 1980 I think, in NYC. Liked their first CD a lot. Great players - weir, alfonso johnson,billy cobham, brent, etc. After that, meh.

8. bsuite

bsuite Supporting Member

Musta saw the future of music and couldn't handle it.
    I feel his pain.

9. zzmoore

zzmoore Member

I saw Kingfish at a Day On The Green in 1974-1975....cannot remember exactly. Doobie Brothers and The Eagles were headliners. I remember being bummed out that Tom Johnston was not at the show do to "health problems". I believe Commander Cody opened the show. I did not even know who Kingfish was at the time, but I still remember being impressed with their Guitar/Tele player.
    We all have our crosses to bare. "The monsters on the outside have nothing on our Demon's Within"........
    Best

10. Espressog repo

Espressog repo Member

Wow! I still see Robbie daily. He still talks about fame and greatness. He can be found on 6th street in San Francisco and at San Francisco General Hospital everyday . It s really a sad story to think that 40 years has passed and he still
    Stuck in hell.
    He had a few years of being on the top. Great example to all as to what can happen to an addict. I have seen so many great musicians at the hospital getting the daily dose. brittley black from Crime, Dave Brown from Santana. .
    Unfortunately they are gone.
    Good luck Robbie!:

noley likes this.
  11. hamstergirl4444

hamstergirl4444 Member

If anyone here wants to know about Robbie Hoddinott, he now has a FaceBook page, which we started for him about 3 weeks ago. You can send a FR to either him or myself (Joyce Koller) and I'll see that it goes thru. Weekends are the only time that Robbie is online, but I run the page for him the rest of the week. His health isn't so hot, but his life has stabilized considerably and his spirits are up, especially since we've been hearing from people who we haven't seen in decades. I'd also like to address the things being said about him with regards to the video on YT, where he's playing a tele in a wheelchair. He made that video because a friend asked him to - however, Robbie had just been released from a 4 month hospitalization, that damn near killed him. There's things other than street drugs that can make a person look far older than they really are - jumping to conclusions and posting them online as though they were verifiable can be very hurtful to someone. And anyone who says Robbie "still talks of fame and greatness" doesn't know him at all - Robbie is a humble guy, I've never heard him talk like that, and we've known each other a very long time. Finally, methadone shouldn't be a stigma - it gives people the chance to take control of their lives once again, and keep it that way. Given a choice, I'd call it a lifesaver - not a measure of a person's character.
    Well, I just wanted to straighten that out ;) He's looking way better these days - I've fattened him up....and he now has a place for people to contact him. See you on FB!
    Joyce

12. mountain blues

mountain blues Member

Thanks for this message Joyce – FR sent :)

13. Scotty smith

Scotty smith Member

Yeah man I grew up with him. Me him and make me Lewis played every ****in party in high school. We learned the Trade. The he went on to Kingfish and drugs. Just gave him an amp. He is still around. Love the guy.

14. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

I had forgotten about him.

Here is a video of him playing a $100 SX guitar- sounds great. Good luck Robbie

15. noley

noley Silver Supporting Member

Wow cool that some of you know him and have posted here. I love that Live N'Kickin' album.

Here's Kingfish back in 1975...

16. DustyRhodesJr

DustyRhodesJr Supporting Member

Very sad news- RIP Robbie

17. brbadg

brbadg Member

That is just heart breaking.I dearly loved his playing!
    I will make sure he makes my cd players alot in the coming weeks.RIP Robby.

sfarnell likes this.
  18. sfarnell

sfarnell Gold Supporting Member

I just learned of it. RIP Robby. Thanks for the memories, you were fantastic and got me playing a telecaster again.

19. smolder

smolder Gold Supporting Member

Wow... huge bummer. RIP.

Anyone know if digital or cd versions of "live 'n' kickin" and "hard to love somebody" are available? I can't seem to find any.