Robbie Robertsons famous telecaster at Normans rare guitars

GeorgiaSam77

Being a big time Dylan/The Band fan this guitar has always fascinated me and man has it gone through a ton of changes. I believe it was black at one point? It might be one of the most historically significant guitars in history

tiktok

Silver Supporting Member
There was a webpage that had a big jpeg charted all the changes it had gone through, which I can't find now, but it was extensive.

Laurence

Gold Supporting Member
I guess its because of "The Last Waltz", but I've always thought of Robbie Robertson as a Strat guy.....?!?

I believe that Last Waltz guitar (Strat shaped) had just two pick-ups (bridge and neck, no middle). Robbie seemed to have been a Tele guy at heart

ELmiguel

It might be one of the most historically significant guitars in history

Well, there is Mike Bloomfield's Tele that he used to back up Dylan at the famous Dylan '65 Newport Folk festival. That one is more interesting to me. It's also the guitar he used on the Paul Butterfield Blues Band recordings.
I'm a Bloomfield fan, not much of a Robertson fan. Although I appreciate his work.

It's the guitar Dylan went electric with. Historically significant indeed.

Dylan played a Strat at the Newport "65 Folk Festival where he went electric.

Last edited:

Throttleneck

I believe that Last Waltz guitar (Strat shaped) had just two pick-ups (bridge and neck, no middle). Robbie seemed to have been a Tele guy at heart

Almost. Three pickups but tele like configuration. (edit to add, Tiktok beat me to it)

Robbie%20Robertson-630-80.jpg

91644785_8aee13e01a_o.jpg

ELmiguel

In the video they discuss Dylan using it on the going electric tour for a couple of years.

Google '65 Newport folk festival Dylan goes electric. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_Dylan_controversy
The band playing behind Dylan wasn't The Band. They may have toured with him later on that year.
I was referring (in my post that you quoted) to that particular historic show.
The famous breakthrough performance at that festival was with some of the people from Paul Butterfields band
Specifically:Mike Bloomfield on lead guitar and Al Kooper on organ. Two of Bloomfield's bandmates from the Paul Butterfield Blues Band also appeared at Newport: bassist Jerome Arnold and drummer Sam Lay, along with Barry Goldberg on piano.

I'm not saying Dylan never played that guitar, but he did not play it at The Newport festival.

Regardless of what the experts are saying in that video, the actual Newport Folk Festival of 1965 is an historic event. It's clearly documented who was in the band and what instruments they were playing. There are photographs.
That guitar wasn't there.

keefsdad

I saw them just after Big Pink and a couple of other times, he always had a Tele with a covered humbucker, no bigsby. The Last Waltz was the first time I ever saw him with a Strat.

Thinsocks

As I understand it, Dylan used that sunburst strat when he went "electric" at Newport. The Dylan/Robertson Tele in the OP's clip was original black and was the guitar Dylan used after Newport when he did a handful of dates with Roberston and Levon (The other guys in The Band/Hawks were not on these dates). That Tele is the same guitar from the famous "Play F***ing Loud/Judas" show.

chrisr777

Google '65 Newport folk festival Dylan goes electric. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_Dylan_controversy
The band playing behind Dylan wasn't The Band. They may have toured with him later on that year.
The famous breakthrough performance at that festival was with some of the people from Paul Butterfields band
Specifically:Mike Bloomfield on lead guitar and Al Kooper on organ. Two of Bloomfield's bandmates from the Paul Butterfield Blues Band also appeared at Newport: bassist Jerome Arnold and drummer Sam Lay, along with Barry Goldberg on piano.

I'm not saying Dylan never played that guitar, but he did not play it at The Newport festival.

Regardless of what the experts are saying in that video, the actual Newport Folk Festival of 1965 is an historic event. It's clearly documented who was in the band and what instruments they were playing. There are photographs.

Yes, I know. I've seen the video enough times. I am not saying anything about Newport. Norman is not talking about Newport and Robbie's son is not talking about Newport. I'm talking about the Dylan Goes Electric tour.

GeorgiaSam77

Well, there is Mike Bloomfield's Tele that he used to back up Dylan at the famous Dylan '65 Newport Folk festival. That one is more interesting to me. It's also the guitar he used on the Paul Butterfield Blues Band recordings.
I'm a Bloomfield fan, not much of a Robertson fan. Although I appreciate his work.

Dylan played a Strat at the Newport "65 Folk Festival where he went electric.

Yea I meant historically significant because of that 66 tour and Robbie using it to record those classic albums. I also absolutely love Bloomfield, but I'm also I huge fan of Robbie on that 66 tour when he still had that aggressive, in your face, soloing style

That Newport strat has an interesting history also with it being found in an attic recently and auctioned. Idk if you have seen the recent videos of that Bloomfield tele, but man someone butchered it. It's a shame. But there's a cool video of G.E Smith playing it and you can tell right away it's the real deal

jefesq

Gold Supporting Member

this^

neils

At Newport 2015 the Strat Dylan played was there and several artists played it. This was the 50th anniversary of "Electric" Dylan. Look on YouTube. I'll bet you'll find lots of clips. I want there. Dawes was the basic backing band with rotating guest singers/players. Al Cooper played B3. This last set closed the Festival. Amazing show

Neil

Emiel

Here are some nice clips of Robbie playing the mentioned Telecaster. Around 1971 he fitted a (Gibson?) humbucker in the neck.

Just before the 1974 tour with Dylan, Robbie bought a red 1959 Strat. This is the one he dripped into bronze for the Last Waltz concert.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom