Robbin Crosby ~ General Biography

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Kallie, Sep 25, 2015.

1. Kallie

Kallie Member

Young Guitar {April 1985}

Robbin Crosby

They loved Ratt in Japan {March 20 thru 27}. But of all the Ratt members,
    it was Robbin who the Japanese fans followed. He was their Guitar Hero.

Robbin >
    They treated me like a God in Japan. Like 'Godzilla' in a good way.

[​IMG]

sahhas likes this.
  2. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Member

3. Kallie

Kallie Member

Too Much Partying

The infamous ..... 'Show Us Your Tits' ....Tour Bus

[​IMG]

sahhas likes this.
  4. Kallie

Kallie Member

Robbin Crosby {May 1985}

I'm out to make us the most photographed Rock band out there. If it takes make-up {eye shadow, mascara, blush and rouge}
    and teased up hair to do it, then we'll do it.

And, we don't have a 'Garment Tech' for nothing either.

[​IMG]

5. Judge Smails

Judge Smails Member

This is a great thread.I consider myself a Ratt fan having enjoyed their music since Out Of The Callar came out. Thanks to you guys who know all this info.

mfranzdorf and Kallie like this.
  6. ChazMania

ChazMania Silver Supporting Member

I spent some time over the holiday looking for a few old photos from the Troubador in 83 (I think) from a Ratt gig and have not yet found them.

DGA likes this.
  7. MoPho

MoPho Pho Shizzle

Interesting this popped up out of the blue. Where the hell is @Kallie ? It's been too long sine one of his great threads popped up.

scr@tchy likes this.
  8. loudboy

loudboy Member

I'm convinced he was an AI experiment. Maybe a new version with the "Grunge" add-on will be released soon?

Peteyvee, swa, OddJobb and 3 others like this.
  9. sanrico

sanrico Member

I've enjoyed a break from his tirades against Heart and Led Zep.

10. Retu

Retu Member

I've already read this magnificent thread several times. RATT has been a steady favorite of mine since 1985 and I would very much like to hear a continuation to this story.

OddJobb and mfranzdorf like this.
  11. Bogner

Bogner Member

This is great stuff!

OddJobb likes this.
  12. OddJobb

OddJobb Member

What a Great read, glad you dug this back up!!

13. Technica

Technica Member

I guess I'll necro this one. I just found this thread last night and I really enjoyed reading through it! I always liked Robbin Crosby; he just seemed pretty down-to-earth in his interviews.

One thing to note about him is that the Jackson "Big Red" guitar that he's often associated with was not a Jackson King V - it's a Double-Rhoads, which is much larger, and looks scaled to Robbin's size better. He also used other Double-Rhoads guitars, but did also use King Vs later on.

[​IMG]

14. freedom's door

freedom's door Member

Robbin's solo from You Think You're Tough is still one of my favorite solos from the 80s.

Technica and Hamer95USA like this.
  15. FiestaRed

FiestaRed Member

The one on the right looks a bit larger

Technica likes this.
  16. Wyatt Martin

Wyatt Martin Member

Thanks for digging this up! I was a huge fan growing up. Info on Ratt wasn't readily available in the middle of the country.

Such a sad ending to Robbin's life. I too found out a couple years after the fact and wondered how I missed it.

I didn't realize how important to Ratt Robbin was until he was out of the band. I was a Warren fan but him alone just doesn't create the magic the band had in my opinion. I always felt Warren was an outsider despite the Perry/Tyler stage gimmick he shared with Pearcy.

17. andybaylor

andybaylor Supporting Member

I still miss Kallie.

skhan007 and jeff_lebowski like this.
  18. Shredzilla

Shredzilla Member

19. freedom's door

freedom's door Member

I completely agree. It started on Dancing Undercover, where Robbin only got 2 solos on the album. That record still kicked ass for the most part, but Reach For The Sky was dreadful, and Detonator was too polished, and almost sounded like a different band than the first two albums.

Invasion is their high point IMO.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    Wyatt Martin likes this.
  20. Technica

Technica Member

I also really like that one. That entire set was great. I loved The Morning After as well.

Yeah, it’s definitely larger. That’s the Double-Rhoads guitar that Robbin used for much of his early work with Ratt. The guitar pictured on the right is one of the Robbin Crosby fan-project limited-run models, of which I think something like only 30 were made in Jackson’s custom shop. The back cover plates were all signed by Robbin in 2002, shortly before his passing. Evidently, the color was not exactly the same as the original guitar that Robbin used, and Jackson was unwilling to correct it (so the story goes). It also has the era-correct top-mounted Floyd Rose, which is really cool.

Also interesting to note that the Double-Rhoads has only 22 frets. To my knowledge, all King V guitars were 24-fret necks. Robbin preferred chrome Floyd Rose bridges because he felt they sounded better. The limited-run Big Red guitars would have been better with a chrome bridge, I think. Robbin also had a few made with bolt-on necks because he liked to experiment with different neck and body woods.

I always felt that the Robbin-Warren dynamic was much like Slash and Izzy - two very different players that suited each other very well. Robbin being the less-technical and more traditional blues player, but no less impressive, especially his earlier work (before he really began to become consumed with drugs, sadly). His rhythms are a big part of Ratt’s sound. Warren is clearly a far more technically-oriented and diverse player than Robbin, but would we have wanted a band with two Warrens or Robbins? I know I wouldn’t. They each had a distinctive playing style that is very easily identified and mixed very well.

I was wondering why he stopped posting. His posts were fantastic. Did anything happen to him?

I noticed the robbincrosby.net website does not exist anymore? Looks like another Robbin Crosby has the domain now.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2019
    freedom's door likes this.