Robert Cray Band - Last Night's Concert

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Pax, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Pax

Pax Silver Supporting Member

Traveled to see RC Band last night at Sunrise Theater in Ft. Pierce, FL. First time I’ve seen him live. I’m really trying not to do the usual internet exaggerating here, but this is one of the best concerts I’ve seen. It is hardly ever the case, at least in my experience, that the live band sounds better than their recorded music, but he did. The mix was perfect. The playing flawless; and his interplay with the audience was refreshing. Just a treat to see 4 professionals bring it like that. I always thought his concert would be laid back, but the energy from the music was high. Now it didn’t hurt that I managed to get some great seats up close in an intimate theater setting, but I don’t think my opinion would change if I had been second tier, last row.

2. monty

monty Member

Exact same experience I had a couple of months ago.

3. tapeworm

tapeworm Supporting Member

i hope to see Mr. Cray sometime in the near future...he is in my top 20 guitarists alltime for sure.

4. Dave2512

Dave2512 Member

Sweet. Robert is always a treat and the current band smokes.

5. mannish

mannish Member

not really a fan but saw him open for John Hiatt and did not enjoy it at all. Just nothing there for me. I liked his early stuff, especially on the Tomato label.

6. Pax

What was missing? Not being a smart%#@, just curious about your perspective.

7. mannish

mannish Member

no energy and way too laid back - I appreciate his vocals and the fact that he sort of eschewed being just a 'guitar slinger hero' which is a direction he could have gone. His music just does not move me, I do appreciate his vocals and what he does.

However John Hiatt with Sonny Landreth) was awesome that is why I was there.

My wife was in complete agreement. He could have had a off night - appeared to go through the motions. This was a show at the Ryman in Nashville several years ago

8. Pax

That's interesting b/c I was a little concerned beforehand that he might bring a show just like you described, but at least in this case it was anything but. Thanks for your perspective.

9. straightblues

straightblues Member

I have seen Robert several times and have never been disappointed. Not a huge fan of his recorded stuff, but it really comes alive when it is being played in front of you.

10. mannish

mannish Member

I do like his tone - no bs just tone

11. T92780

T92780 Silver Supporting Member

I've seen RC 3-4 times, always a fan, have grabbed/borrowed/stole guitar stuff from him. He's a very laid back tasteful player with silky smooth vocals that always has a good mix and tone at his shows -also a solid band. A laid back perfomer, yes, but I never expected different. See him if you haven't and expect a fairly mellow night of great blues and pure guitar tone at usually a small venue = bonus.

12. gmann

gmann Member

I'm a fan and have several of his CD's He played here on Okinawa twice and it was one of the best shows I've ever seen. Great playin' and singin' and the band was smokin'. Wish he would come back. I can understand how he's now for everybody tho but I dig it.

13. Tidewater Custom Shop

Tidewater Custom Shop Performance Enhancing Guitarworks Supporting Member

I intend to see Robert Cray at the NOLA Jazz Fest in a couple weeks. Him and Tab Benoit, among others.

14. brookshubbert

brookshubbert Member

His sound on I was warned just knocks me out. He is a master in every respect.

15. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

Tab is a blast live. Have fun.

16. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Tab and Young Bob - there's a dream team.